Food problems on tour

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe it's just the middle-aged mom in me coming out, but I look at the drum corps kids and I see a lot who by the end of the summer look like they spent 6 weeks on Survivor eating rice and coconut. So many times, the first thing I hear the parents say is "Oh my goodness, how much do you weigh?" and not in a delightful, how nice that you lost weight kind of way. I heard directly from a member of a Top 6 corps that the quantity of food was not adequate for the activity level (he did lose 10%+ of his weight and didn't need to). Did anyone see the story on how much Michael Phelps eats? I'm not a dietician or a trainer and I don't know what's right or if there is really any harm to the kids, but I just get this gut feeling that with the visual demands of the programs and associated practice, some are not getting enough calories, no matter now nice the food trucks are or how nutritious the menus.

Maybe it's just the middle-aged mom in me coming out, but I look at the drum corps kids and I see a lot who by the end of the summer look like they spent 6 weeks on Survivor eating rice and coconut. So many times, the first thing I hear the parents say is "Oh my goodness, how much do you weigh?" and not in a delightful, how nice that you lost weight kind of way. I heard directly from a member of a Top 6 corps that the quantity of food was not adequate for the activity level (he did lose 10%+ of his weight and didn't need to). Did anyone see the story on how much Michael Phelps eats? I'm not a dietician or a trainer and I don't know what's right or if there is really any harm to the kids, but I just get this gut feeling that with the visual demands of the programs and associated practice, some are not getting enough calories, no matter now nice the food trucks are or how nutritious the menus.

Instead of playing into the speculative nature of the internet and DCP, I suggest concerned parents and fans should take some action to help. Ask a corps to consult a dietician or trainer with a nutrition background and then help fund such a consultation. Also, the kids need some dietary information so they can eat smart and eat often. Maybe some corps need more snacks between meals. If that's the case, try working with a corps to set up a snack break with something as simple as energy/protein bars.

I'm game for that. Anyone else?

Perhaps DCI could run TV infomercials..."for just pennies a day, you can help feed an upper middle class child of privilege so they may be able to march in a band. Imagine, without your donations, this child, and many like them, will be forced into working summer jobs at Walmart". They could even make posters showing an especially lithe corps member in a pair of $150 Nikes complaining to their parents on a $300 IPhone.

Edited by VOReason

Perhaps DCI could run TV infomercials..."for just pennies a day, you can help feed an upper middle class child of privilege so they may be able to march in a band. Imagine, without your donations, this child, and many like them, will be forced into working summer jobs at Walmart". They could even make posters showing an especially lithe corps member in a pair of $150 Nikes complaining to their parents on a $300 IPhone.

Whoever is paying $150 on Nikes doesn't know how to shop well. :lookaround:

Seriously though, the irony is not lost on me.

Whoever is paying $150 on Nikes doesn't know how to shop well. :lookaround:

Seriously though, the irony is not lost on me.

Of course I was being perhaps a bit smug in my previous post, but is just seems to me that if a child can spend in excess of $3000 plus to march for the summer, while essentially forfeiting the ability to earn money while working a summer job, they should not have to "starve".

Of course I was being perhaps a bit smug in my previous post, but is just seems to me that if a child can spend in excess of $3000 plus to march for the summer, while essentially forfeiting the ability to earn money while working a summer job, they should not have to "starve".

I think many corps have a sponsorship program for their kids. They have downloadable letters about the corps and the costs, and kids send them to family and friends and try to fundraise their way through the summer. There's a sponsorship forum here, and I know Troopers has one as well on their boards.

Maybe the corps are undershooting the cost of feeding their kids, and that's why there are occasional problems. The idea of having to charge more dues probably makes corps shake in their boots. It's hard enough for most corps to fill their ranks without adding another barrier.

There are so many people here on DCP who love this activity. What would it take, I wonder, to do a food fund drive that is distributed to corps that apply for funds? Hmmm... I gots an idea brewin'....

Edited by TerriTroop

In 84, the Bridgemen were seriously running out of money. It was a struggle to find enough to fuel the vehicles, and we were already on a shorter tour than most of the top corps. In 83 we were responsible for our own food, which meant fast food constantly and (frankly) the kids who had a few more bucks making sure their buddies got to eat. In 84, in what has become a bit of a legend but is, in fact true, we rehearsed all day in Bloomington prior to the show that evening and had only watermelon and popcorn to eat that day. It sucked, but literally our beleagured staff was doing all they could just to get us to the end of the year. Parents pressed money into management's hands when they could, but by the end of the year the money was truly gone.

So, we should have just given up and gone home?

As a middle aged mom myself now, I would never want these conditions for my kids. However, we survived, and I'd like to think the activity was a little bit better with us out there that Summer as well.

I agree that great nutrition is going to produce healthier kids AND better performances. This is not going to be a reality for every corps, so parents should be actively involved and interested in a corps' finances and their true ability to get the kids safely down the road. It isn't always about the money; sometimes it is the lack or organization or solid management that impedes a successful tour.

The greatness of this activity was found in the generosity of so many other corps (including some of our closest competitors) in helping us out in our time of need, a tradition that continues in drum corps to this day.

Cheers!

Karen

In 84, the Bridgemen were seriously running out of money. It was a struggle to find enough to fuel the vehicles, and we were already on a shorter tour than most of the top corps. In 83 we were responsible for our own food, which meant fast food constantly and (frankly) the kids who had a few more bucks making sure their buddies got to eat. In 84, in what has become a bit of a legend but is, in fact true, we rehearsed all day in Bloomington prior to the show that evening and had only watermelon and popcorn to eat that day. It sucked, but literally our beleagured staff was doing all they could just to get us to the end of the year. Parents pressed money into management's hands when they could, but by the end of the year the money was truly gone.

So, we should have just given up and gone home?

As a middle aged mom myself now, I would never want these conditions for my kids. However, we survived, and I'd like to think the activity was a little bit better with us out there that Summer as well.

I agree that great nutrition is going to produce healthier kids AND better performances. This is not going to be a reality for every corps, so parents should be actively involved and interested in a corps' finances and their true ability to get the kids safely down the road. It isn't always about the money; sometimes it is the lack or organization or solid management that impedes a successful tour.

The greatness of this activity was found in the generosity of so many other corps (including some of our closest competitors) in helping us out in our time of need, a tradition that continues in drum corps to this day.

Cheers!

Karen

I agree with everything Karen has to say. During my same time with Spirit that Karen was with Bridgemen, we had our money problems too. There weren't many times that we didn't eat, but we did have some days. If souvies didn't sell well at a show, we might have slim pickins' the next day. Is that fair? Maybe not, but I wouldn't have given up my experiences on the road because I might not have a balanced meal for a day or two. And I fully believe that the things that we experienced...the hardships that we endured...helped make us stronger individuals, especially when you consider that the food that we ate back in our day is NOTHING compared to the meals that kids are getting today. Corps today have resources that our corps never had, and it makes a big difference.