San Antonio Rivals

Local corps, with local members exist(ed) because of loyalty to the area and their corps. There are many, individuals loaded with talent, that could march anywhere, but choose the home team, as it were.

That kind of drum corps atmosphere is rare these days and probably hard to understand.

In a time where there were corps every 5 - 10 miles, it was very territorial and you stuck with your own corps through thick and thin, win or lose...and were PROUD to do it.

Those days are long gone, from just about every activity.

Now, you just look out for numero uno. That's what corporate America has turned us into, "What's in it for me?"

(wow, where'd that come from?)

Edited by Martybucs

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be great if Crossmen can refer kids who don't make the line to Revo. It would be a shame if they merged. The world needs more drum corps not less.

• 3 weeks later...

I lived in Texas from 2000 to 2005. Texas is a completely different country when it comes to Drum Corps, both junior and senior.

Remember that Texas is a powerhouse of BOA marching bands. One year recently had 4 Texas HS bands in finals at BOA Grand Nationals.

Prior to living in Texas I lived in Mississippi but taught winterguards that were in the SCGC (back when it included Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, Alabama). I was surprised when I moved to Texas that there were not that many independent guards (Ind A, Ind Open, or Ind World). Over the years there have been more Independent guards but there tend to be more HS guards in Texas. The same can be said for the marching activity. With large BOA size bands pushing 200 it's hard to recruit for a "new" corps in Texas. Revolution went thru this and now Crossmen. I do remember Bluecoats recruiting from Texas as well as Cavies and Blue Devils. It all goes to the marketing ability of a corps to attract members and how much the member is willing to pay to travel to camps and if they want to be based out of a local group or one elsewhere in the nation. I'm sure there are students that want to take a summer off after surviving their HS BOA competitive season.

I honestly thought Crossmen were going to be in finals this year. I liked their show this year a little better than last year.

I think Revolution can hold their own. They have done great in the past. I also hope their winterguard comes back out as well.