San Antonio Rivals

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The entire thing.

So YEA cut them completely loose and Hopkins would have been fine if they folded?

This was literally the last move he could have made, and if didn't work, they were going to fold the corps. Period.

Survival.

But YEA was backing the corps financially before and during the transition, and Hopkins didn't want them to fold right? Because I was told that was entirely wrong just a few posts ago.

So YEA cut them completely loose and Hopkins would have been fine if they folded?

Not fine. But it was likely that supporting the Crossmen was beginning to become too great of a financial burden on YEA!. It's not like Hopkins would have liked folding the corps. It just was starting to look like a necessity.

Noone can say there is not enough Drum Corps in Texas now.

Junior:

Crossmen

Revolution

Senior/All Age

Gulf Coast Sound

Frontier

Austin Stars

Are there others?

Population Base:

San Antonio is a Large Metro Area that is fairly close to Austin and Houston and not unreachable from Dallas.

I Drove from KC to Hutchinson for Camps.

The Senior Corps are more than happy to team up on events ie. Texas Drum Corps Preview.

If the Corps keep performing locally at events that should help get the word out.

I'm just trying to say the two Junior Corps have a lot going for them. The location is not bad at all.

The Crossmen were going to fold. Two guys in Texas with the right skills and the ability to come up with the money saved the corps.

The Crossmen did not move to Texas because talent in PA had dried up and they did not come to Texas to steal members from Revolution.

I don't believe anyone said they came to "steal" members. There was the belief that their presence removes potential members from Revolution (which I don't necessarily agree with), but I don't see anywhere where there was an implication of malevolence on their part, i.e. "Hey, let's move to San Antonio, then we can steal Revolution's members."

I don't believe anyone said they came to "steal" members. There was the belief that their presence removes potential members from Revolution (which I don't necessarily agree with), but I don't see anywhere where there was an implication of malevolence on their part, i.e. "Hey, let's move to San Antonio, then we can steal Revolution's members."

You're right. I was just a bit upset about something else and hyperbole took over.

But YEA was backing the corps financially before and during the transition, and Hopkins didn't want them to fold right? Because I was told that was entirely wrong just a few posts ago.

YEA was willing to keep things going for one more season because they wanted to give the Crossmen a chance at success in their new home and because they knew that they were going to recoup quite a bit as the new administration paid up.

That being said, if the new people had not come on the scene, the corps would in fact have been cut loose and folded.

In short, YEA kept it going one more year once they were certain there was a point to it all.