Shouldn't they be better than the real world?

Apparently, you need a course on what those goofy, smiley emoticon thingies mean. The :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: means "tongue-in-cheek", and I used it in an obviously futile attempt to indicate some small humor on my part. Some people just don't get good sarcasm! :ph34r:

(I feel like I can pick on you just a little bit Mr. Cadet2000 because I like your stuff, you always make good common sense. So don't take this post as a flame, because where I'm from, we only pick on people if we like them. :ohmy: )

Your points are well taken.

I seem to be having problems with emoticons lately. :united:

Sorry. :ohmy:

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 3 years or marching experience and am now involved with another corps. I have NEVER witnessed or heard of outdoor, group showering. (27/soa post #4)

on the shower thing: i HAVE heard a story where some kids went out into a field and showered in the sprinklers. (Kekkles Post #17)

++++++++

4.) Hooking up??? are you serious?? after running around on field for 16 hours, i dont care how horny you are. SEx would be the last thing on your mind. (Josh161 post #10)

4. Yes, hooking up occurs. That happens when the males and females of any mammal species come together. Is it encouraged? Of course not. I've never heard a director say in a corps meeting, "Okay everybody, make sure you have lots of sex on the bus tonight...all of you!" 90% is a grossly exaggerated figure for any corps. (Goldingna Post #12)

+++++++++

Y'all need to get together and get your stories straight! Apparently, at least one of you is seriously confused. :tongue:

Or, could it be, that Ms. Crown1 had legitimate concerns? :tongue:

+++

Since there seems to be such great confusion in the DCP community, allow me to tell you about Ms. Crown1, even though she and I have never met:

1. She is a deadly serious parent (that's a good thing)

2. She has morals and values

3. She's looking for a good experience for her child, and she's doing her research to see "what's out there" in the drum corps world, before she exposes her child to it.

4. She knew she would get hammered by the more immature posters on DCP, yet she choose to air her concerns anyway. That tells me she doesn't mind taking a risk, and that she's a communicator.

Bravo, Ms. Crown1. You are not what's wrong with parents today.

1. Agreed

2. Hers are different than other people's, including my own. Not better. Not worse. Different.

3. True, but she seems to be focusing on the extremely rare negatives. Ounce for ounce, drum corps has a just as good if not better ratio of positive to negative when compared to other youth activities.

4. The immaturity in this thread is on the low side, overall. I trust you are not lumping every disagreeing poster into the immaturity category.

Additionally, everyone on this forum has had different experience. Telling people to "get their stories straight", because some of them have experience with some things she mentioned and others do not, seems to indicate you are suggesting some of them are lying. Are you suggesting that?

To KCcrown1 if you are still reading this thread:

Sooner or later you will be faced with the moment when you have to "push your kid out of the nest", as I'm sure you know. Drum corps really and truly is a good environment in which to do this. Sure, your child may not be ready. That's fine. But when the time comes, drum corps is one of the best places for your child to make that leap.

My wife sometimes is asked by nervous parents new to drum corps if their child is going to be exposed to many of the things you feared in your first post. She says to them: "If you don't trust your child to be mature and act appropriately, don't let them join." So far, none of these parents have come back to her at the end of the season to tell her it was bad advice. They let their kids join and were happy to see their kids develop in the corps.

I'd recommend volunteering for a bit with a Corps that you might be considering for your Daughter.

You don't have to go on tour. Just go and watch, observe, help out doing something useful for that Corps for a brief bit.

I'm 99.99% certain that your fears will go away after such a volunteering stint and watching first hand the staff, the kids, the other adult volunteers, etc.

Trust me, Drum Corps participation will not make your Daughter weaker morally.

On the contrary. She will be all the better for it, if she is like the vast majority of kids that have participated in Drum Corps over the years.

Edited by BRASSO

1. Agreed

2. Hers are different than other people's, including my own. Not better. Not worse. Different.

3. True, but she seems to be focusing on the extremely rare negatives. Ounce for ounce, drum corps has a just as good if not better ratio of positive to negative when compared to other youth activities.

4. The immaturity in this thread is on the low side, overall. I trust you are not lumping every disagreeing poster into the immaturity category.

Additionally, everyone on this forum has had different experience. Telling people to "get their stories straight", because some of them have experience with some things she mentioned and others do not, seems to indicate you are suggesting some of them are lying. Are you suggesting that?

To KCcrown1 if you are still reading this thread:

Sooner or later you will be faced with the moment when you have to "push your kid out of the nest", as I'm sure you know. Drum corps really and truly is a good environment in which to do this. Sure, your child may not be ready. That's fine. But when the time comes, drum corps is one of the best places for your child to make that leap.

My wife sometimes is asked by nervous parents new to drum corps if their child is going to be exposed to many of the things you feared in your first post. She says to them: "If you don't trust your child to be mature and act appropriately, don't let them join." So far, none of these parents have come back to her at the end of the season to tell her it was bad advice. They let their kids join and were happy to see their kids develop in the corps.

Thank you - I think I will start paying more attention to an actual corp then what is heard and seen. I will take the next few years and see what happens - at 14 I think she has some time to wait. I will not dismiss her desire to march drum corps and I appreciate those of you who respected my views to at least write the positives and set me straight.

I seem to be having problems with emoticons lately. :tongue:

Sorry. :united:

LOL! No problem! We need the BIG SMILE emoticon :tongue:

:tongue:

I'd recommend volunteering for a bit with a Corps that you might be considering for your Daughter.

You don't have to go on tour. Just go and watch, observe, help out doing something useful for that Corps for a brief bit.

I'm 99.99% certain that your fears will go away after such a volunteering stint and watching first hand the staff, the kids, the other adult volunteers, etc.

Trust me, Drum Corps participation will not make your Daughter weaker morally.

On the contrary. She will be all the better for it, if she is like the vast majority of kids that have participated in Drum Corps over the years.

Thank you - I will definitely start paying more attention and doing some volunteering.

I did not imply they were showering together inside but I heard of several occassions where sections were showering at the school using outdoor hoses. Whether this is male, female or coed it shouldn't happen because it is in the public view.

Showering at the food truck with the hose is pretty common... with a bathing suit on. I don't think the instances you are referring to would involve public nudity. Heck, at the Crossmen we've got a truck driver who wears a bathing suit and flip flops all summer so he showers at the food truck every day.

I already know that this will upset some people but I felt compelled to express my opinion (yes everyone has their own). There is so much talk about how positive drum corps life is that after reading this forum, seeing pictures and hearing stories of what happens during a season I believe I feel differently now. Yes, I know there are positive experiences such as team work, working toward a goal, etc. However there seems to be a downside. I know we aren't in Kansas anymore and I know these things are a fact of life but when you are talking about the best of the best musicians in their age bracket - I think some of the stuff that happens is not acceptable at that level...Let me begin

1. There is much talk about lack of nutrition - that is not a good thing during these years.

2. Talk about the toll the summer takes on the body - especially with the diffcult drill, the constant wear and tear on joints, the sun damage, etc.

3. The lack of clothing worn by both sexes. Yes it is hot out but seriously - some of the pictures I have seen are offensive for family entertainment.

4. The "hooking up" aspect that many members brag about during the summer even if the member has a significant other at home. Kids will be kids but seriously - one member stated 90% of the corp hooked up. Sorry I think the corps has an obligation to instill certain values - hooking up not being one of them.

5. Showering together - showering nude outside - etc. I would never let my 14 year old march - no one needs to be THAT exposed to anything especially in a family event such as drum corps.

6. The antics on the bus! Everyone has read about them or seen photos. Many appear to be nothing more than hazing and stupidity.

7. What happens on drum corps stays on drum corps - where is the family value there.

8. Problems at finals this year with disrespect from some corps. Not a good value either.

You are exactly right when you say "well she never marched" so she doesn't know. What I do know is that as a parent I don't think most corps are doing right by the kids. These kids are incredibly talented or they wouldn't have made their corps. They should be held to a higher standard because they are the best. The saying kids will be kids doesn't fly for me.

Maybe you should build a bomb shelter and lock yourself and your kids in it so the real world doesn't get you!!

Gack! You're the SECOND person I've had to explain this to who can't read emoticons! :tongue:

See my reply to Mr. Cadet2000, directly upstream. I was just kidding. :tongue:

Edited by wvu80

Showering at the food truck with the hose is pretty common... with a bathing suit on. I don't think the instances you are referring to would involve public nudity. Heck, at the Crossmen we've got a truck driver who wears a bathing suit and flip flops all summer so he showers at the food truck every day.

Obviously I would not have a problem showering with the bathing suit on - I am referring to when it is not.