Shouldn't they be better than the real world?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

She was not trying to change or force her beliefs on anyone, rather she mentioned the perception of Drum Corps. "Better than the real world" can mean the same thing despite any of your beliefs. Where do you draw the line on how much money is okay to steal? None whatsoever? Only a little? Depends on who is stealing from? Bank error in your favor okay to keep mum about? No matter which one you answer, you can still believe drum corps members should be held to an level of honesty higher than other groups. Part of the character that is instilled. So, as she was pointing out, with evidence slightly flawed, that this might not always be the case.

Not sure how we get from an anecdote about a desperate guard running thru the sprinklers once in the middle of the night in 1995 to a crisis of character in drum corps and members generally regarded as dishonest nymphomaniac thieves in need of correction. The OP seems to have fixated on a few aspects and isolated incidents as representative of the activity. As TerriTroop points out above, it seems to be more about an agenda than actual facts or a real understanding of the activity. How are these so-called moral deficiencies manifesting themselves? Where are the alarming incidences of teen pregnancy? Petty theft? Vandalism? Drug busts? Or, as another poster tastelessly alluded to, rape and child abuse?

As I suggested earlier, this might not be the best place to have these discussions. People here love Drum Corps enough to stay on an internet site and type about it. I suggest anyone with concerns seek out community members and fellow parents and get an accurate bias from all sides to find a common perception.

Agreed. (Though I’m not exactly sure what constitutes an “accurate bias”.) But again, the OP didn’t feel the need to do so to come up with her final judgement: "What I do know is that as a parent I don't think most corps are doing right by the kids."

Not sure how we get from an anecdote about a desperate guard running thru the sprinklers once in the middle of the night in 1995 to a crisis of character in drum corps and members generally regarded as dishonest nymphomaniac thieves in need of correction. The OP seems to have fixated on a few aspects and isolated incidents as representative of the activity. As TerriTroop points out above, it seems to be more about an agenda than actual facts or a real understanding of the activity. How are these so-called moral deficiencies manifesting themselves? Where are the alarming incidences of teen pregnancy? Petty theft? Vandalism? Drug busts? Or, as another poster tastelessly alluded to, rape and child abuse?

Agreed. (Though I’m not exactly sure what constitutes an “accurate bias”.) But again, the OP didn’t feel the need to do so to come up with her final judgement: "What I do know is that as a parent I don't think most corps are doing right by the kids."

I have asked for this forum to be closed along with several others because it is no longer impIortant. I appreciate the people who decided not to totally dismiss my questions - and to pm personally and offer their views. I never said "What I do know is that as a parent I don't think most corps are doing right by the kids". So many of you slammed me for talking about something I know nothing about and yet you condemn me because these are the "facts" I heard and I was trying to get the real story. I would be ignorant if I didn't come to this board and try to get some "real facts" and stories. I understand that most of the people in this forum are total supporters of DCI and I should have realized that before I even posted.

This is an unfair statement to make, and I don't think you (or anyone for that matter) are qualified to make such a judgment.

Why is it unfair? And how can you say who is and who is not qualified to judge?

You sound young. Maybe there is some drum corps history with which you are not familiar. If you ask, maybe some of the "old timers" can fill you in.

Just be aware that when you ask these old people, every story starts out with "back when I marched everything was better..." :thumbup:

I have asked for this forum to be closed along with several others because it is no longer impIortant. I appreciate the people who decided not to totally dismiss my questions - and to pm personally and offer their views. I never said "What I do know is that as a parent I don't think most corps are doing right by the kids". So many of you slammed me for talking about something I know nothing about and yet you condemn me because these are the "facts" I heard and I was trying to get the real story. I would be ignorant if I didn't come to this board and try to get some "real facts" and stories. I understand that most of the people in this forum are total supporters of DCI and I should have realized that before I even posted.

"What I do know is that as a parent I don't think most corps are doing right by the kids" is a direct quote from your original post.

OK.

Take that :lol:

Ouch!

One comment. Can't believe with some of the stuff I said that's all I get in reply! :thumbup: I must be losing my touch.

Don't worry, mom--I get that all the time when I question Phantom Regiment and I marched there. Now you see why Star of Indiana took their toys and went home. Just not worth dealing with some of the fools who are fans of this activity. Not a slam on the activity, but an awful lot of individuals who have been...well, derogatory since I discovered the activity in the first place. This reception you have received in this thread has permeated the activity since before the Internet was even conceived back in Berkeley. Sad, really. Oh well.

"What I do know is that as a parent I don't think most corps are doing right by the kids" is a direct quote from your original post.

You are correct - I totally mistyped that and I could not possibly even speak to the fact that most drum corps are not doing right by the kids. That was wrong and I apologize for making that blanket comment.

I have asked for this forum to be closed along with several others because it is no longer important.

With all due respect, I think the issues you raised are important to many people. I'll speak for myself, they are important to me.

I would suggest that ANY reader on DCP can shut this thread down immediately on an individual basis by simply reading another thread, or not posting.

I think the usual trolls have weighed in to attack you instead of talking with you, but hey, that's what trolls do. I assure you there are some responses on this very thread that when I see the name, I just skip to the next post.

I don't see the need for anybody to shut anything down, except on an individual basis. And I would hate to miss out on the truly good advice I think several good people have taken the time to share.

I hope you don't mind me learning while listening "over your shoulder." :thumbup:

This reception you have received in this thread has permeated the activity since before the Internet was even conceived back in Berkeley. Sad, really. Oh well.

How DARE you slight Al Gore?!?!?!? :thumbup:

since the author of a thread can indeed request that it be closed, i have reported that request to the administrators through use of the report button....

(an FYI to anyone who wants their threads closed - admins don't read every post of every thread all the time - if you want it done, the fastest/most guaranteed way to make it happen is to contact them directly)