Which brass instrument should I (attempt to) learn?

davidsampson

Ever since I went to my first DCI show in Cookeville TN 2 years ago I have been hell-bent on marching corps. I am currently a junior in high school, and my goal is to march the summer after my senior year. I play bass clarinet in concert band, but I am eager to pick up a brass instrument. A friend of mine gave me a 7C trumpet mouthpiece, and I have been buzzing on that for a while, and I can buzz scales, arpeggios, and melodies fairly well from about concert F below the treble cleff staff, to about the F at the top of the staff. I have come to the conclusion that I am better suited to buzzing lower notes, and I base that on the few times I have briefly buzzed on a trombone or baritone. The sound came out so much easier and more comfortably than it does on a trumpet mouthpiece. The only problem with me marching, say, baritone, is that I am not a strong person, and I am concerned about my ability to hold up the horn for long periods of time. Knowing this, which corps instrument would be best for me to try and learn?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you prefer lower notes on a trumpet mouthpiece, may I suggest mellophone? Baritone may be the easiest, but it is quite heavy. Mellophone is a nice medium where you build chops at a medium rate while also not carrying a baritone. Of course, baritone does seem to be the preferred instrument to learn.

What are the approximate ranges I might be playing on mellophone, as well as the lower trumpet parts? Also, if I were to buy a horn of some kind, would it be worth it to buy a mellophone?

trumpet/soprano

lightest, period.

haha, well yeah, there's that :thumbup:

if i were you, i REALLY wouldn't let weight of an instrument even be a factor. you can complain about weight once you've run around with a contra or a bottom bass drum. until then, suck it up :lol:

Baritone for sure.

I went from Alto Sax to Baritone. Fun section to be in too.

Ever since I went to my first DCI show in Cookeville TN 2 years ago I have been hell-bent on marching corps. I am currently a junior in high school, and my goal is to march the summer after my senior year. I play bass clarinet in concert band, but I am eager to pick up a brass instrument. A friend of mine gave me a 7C trumpet mouthpiece, and I have been buzzing on that for a while, and I can buzz scales, arpeggios, and melodies fairly well from about concert F below the treble cleff staff, to about the F at the top of the staff. I have come to the conclusion that I am better suited to buzzing lower notes, and I base that on the few times I have briefly buzzed on a trombone or baritone. The sound came out so much easier and more comfortably than it does on a trumpet mouthpiece. The only problem with me marching, say, baritone, is that I am not a strong person, and I am concerned about my ability to hold up the horn for long periods of time. Knowing this, which corps instrument would be best for me to try and learn?

If your school has a marching band, see if you can switch to brass for that. Then get your hands on a mellophone or bell-front baritone and give it a go. If your school doesn't have a ;marching band or doesn't have bell-front mellos or baritones, buy a decent used trumpet. Work on tone and intonation, not range. You can audition for trumpet, then if you march a second year see about switching to mello if you want. Mello parts are usually more complicated than lower trumpet/soprano.