Which brass instrument should I (attempt to) learn?

davidsampson

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are a bass player on woodwinds, your not going to be happy playing anything but tonic or 5th parts. Go for the big horn, tuba or euph. Let the "little" people play the woosey 3rd part notes. Besides, the REAL chicks dig the big bad boys and their big toys!

This man speaks much truth.

This isn't really a question that you'll find an adequate answer for on a forum. The only way to answer it is to just try to spend a little time fooling around with each horn and deciding which you like best from there. Everyone here can talk about their personal preferences, but this is a case in which there is no right answer.

the other thing with baritone / euph is...

how many people play trumpet in high school?

how many play baritone?

the talent pool is significantly smaller for baritone. It is heavy, which kinda sucks, but makes you look ###### once you get it down.

Yet, good baritones are easy to find, because it isn't a hard instrument to be good at, and it isn't hard to have a good sound. I can say this, because despite my user name, I have played concert french horn, mellophone, trombone, baritone/euph, and trumpet. And I will tell you, of all of them, bari is the easiest to pick up and do anything on. HOWEVER, that could just be me, it could be the way my lips were built, who knows. Maybe I am a born drum corps bari player? I dunno. But one thing is for sure. Those new to drum corps DON'T want to go through long rehearsals holding up a baritone, or especially a euphonium.... *massages arms* Of course, you could suck it up, but it really sucks... A new brass player might want to start with something smaller is what I'm trying to say anyways.