Brass size

cheezedogg 23

Ok, hypothetical here *spelled wrong*.. anywho. What do you think is the biggest advantage in a larger hornline? Why is does it seeem, or is it in fact easier with a larger hornline?

I feel it only seems easier with a larger hornline because it gives confidence to less confident players, that they aren't all that stands between it being correct and a Tick.. Some says its just because mistakes can be covered or larger hornlines often have better players. I don't agree, i think its all a mind game about confidence with being by yourself or in a large section.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

definitely. in larger lines you can drop out a few measures and just look pretty, in a smaller hornline everyone must play 100% of the show, larger lines=better sound. volume is a key here too, as i see it. you don't need many to play soft, which is why you could have some not playing. but when you want balls to the wall loud, you'd want a hornline of 60 over a hornline of 30 any day, wouldn't you?

I played for several years in a 17 to max 25 horn line with the Starriders. Some years with 3 Baris - 1 lead, 1 second, 1 third. This was sometimes really tuff. No staggered breathing. You have to play 100% the hole show. If you are not playing your part noone is playing it. BUT the sound quality that year was superb - NO rooky in the hole brass at all.

Also I had the honor to play in a 44 hornline with the New York Skyliners and will play this year in a 70+ brass with the Brigs.

A large hornline is fun, but a small hornline can kick ### also. AND with G-Bugles the volume should be OK also. With 20 Brass Starriders always rocked the house down.

when I said staggered breather I meant just that.... Not Laying out... To me and My Hornline and my intructors.. laying out is unacceptable! In Cabs everyone plays 100% of the time... the only time you are aloud to lay out is if you are Bleeding Profusely from the head!

Longdo always tells us of his days with the Sunrisers where he took 38 in the horn line and won titles against Corps with 56, 64 and 72!

Edited by cabsbaritone

well I believe that the size of the hornline should be based on the music....more lower or upper brass depending on the chart. I think there is a standard size hornline size of about 64 give or take a few. (jr corps) but for me...I loved playing in a 74 player hornline last year! Sr. corps is so much more fun...heheheh

Kimela

I had the honor of marching with Cincinnati Glory in 2000. for most of the season we only had 10 horns. 3 sops, 3 melos, 3 baris, and 1 contra. in other words, one person per part. it is extremely difficult, there could be no dropped notes. very similar to chamber playing, except you're running. and you don't need 60 some brass to sound loud. a popular example is blast. 24 horns, very loud. Even without amplification. bottom line: quality over quantity

... the only time you are aloud to lay out is if you are Bleeding Profusely from the head!

Why that?

Are you a weak "flute player" :angel: or one of the heavy metal gang? ^0^

Just keep your head up to GE Box, so that the blood run down the back of your head and march fast so that the blood dry by the wind.

Take care! Never wish any member to get injured on the field.