Corps that DID NOT compete at DCI in 1976

Just a quick note or plug...

I've just added some scores to the 1976 season scores page. Lots of June and early July scores are now available. A special

thank you to "Volkman" for getting me these scores!! If you have any scores or recaps not on the site, please email me and

I'll put them on. Thank again for visiting the Pressbox...

From The Pressbox...

Go Devils,

Gregg

:tongue:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Americanos were not on the field between August 7 and September 6.

This is a quote from an article that appeared in the Sep 1976 issue of DCW. The article was written by David Crouch about a show on the 28th of Aug 1976 in Waupin,WI.

"The Americanos were to have competed but,due to a sudden drop in membership,appeared only in exhibition."

Does anyone have any more info on this subject? I'm just curious.

The Americano guys were strictly on loan, giving them an opportunity to do a DCI tour. They were never recruited for permanent Kiltie membership. All 19 members were back in Appleton by Aug. 23.

The Americanos were inactive for several seasons after 1976, and a scant few of those 19 ever marched a corps show again. A sole survivor, Dennis Tischauser, still is on the field in the tuba section of MBI.

The Americano guys were strictly on loan, giving them an opportunity to do a DCI tour. They were never recruited for permanent Kiltie membership. All 19 members were back in Appleton by Aug. 23.

The Americanos were inactive for several seasons after 1976, and a scant few of those 19 ever marched a corps show again. A sole survivor, Dennis Tischauser, still is on the field in the tuba section of MBI.

That's cool that they got a chance to do a DCI tour. I sometime wonder what it would have been like to march a DCI corps. Thanks.

Interesting June 5th results.

Took scores from 4 shows that day, interesting:

June 5, 1976

1. 79.35 27 Lancers (Bayonne)

2. 72.15 Garfield Cadets (Bayonne)

3. 71.30 Seneca Optimists (Toronto)

4. 68.75 Muchachos (Bayonne)

5. 67.45 Oakland Crusaders (Tornto)

6. 67.05 Crossmen (Bayonne)

7. 65.50 Avante Garde (Mechanicsville)

8. 65.30 Saints (Bayonne)

9. 62.35 Phantom Regiment (Cedar Rapids)

Same corps from August 20, 1976

1. 88.70 Phantom Regiment

2. 86.15 Oakland Crusaders

3. 85.95 27th Lancers

4. 83.50 Seneca Optimist

5. 82.45 Garfield Cadets

6. 74.75 Muchachos

7. 69.55 Saints

8. 61.00 Avante Garde

9. Crossmen - Disqualified.

Boy, that Regiment band must have really turned it on! :tongue:

Edited by Rocketman

We had close to 10 former Americanos in the '77 Marquis. Even the New London contingent.

Boy, that Regiment band must have really turned it on! :thumbup:

Actually this is a case of Phantom being underscored, compared to the eastern contest. You can definitely say the eastern corps were WAY overscored on that particular day. The midwest scores were always lower than the eastern scores in early season contests.

Edited by Northern Thunder

My first year of drum corps ever was in 1978 with the LaSalle Crusaders. I went to their website and 1976 is interestly enough, missing, along with 1975 from the history. I think they were rebuilding in 1796 and were a parade corps only.