En929

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

PROGRESS!!! HUZZAH!!!

Kill the blasphemer!

When I first came into my college band I was like this and wanted to show off. But after marching it for 3 years I came into a new thought.

I marched with the Pride of Arizona (Univ. of Arizona) for 3 years. IMO this is the best college band for our style, which is rock. They are known as the first alternative rock marching band. They perfrom one band each year year but composed of 3 parts. The director is Jay Rees and he has a real messed up mind and wierd ideas. But that is what makes this band so unique. He gets all of those members to buy into it. It isn't a typical college band where they stand still forever, but instead Rees has them flying across the field. Marching one of his complete shows (all 3 movements put together) was almost as hard as my DCI shows.

I think DCI and POA are apples to oranges and I learned not to compare the two. In Tucson, Az the bands suck, but they all look up to the Pride. The most amazing thing is when you look at the talent up close it isn't very good yet Rees can still get them to produce.

My favorite show to perform DCI/College/High School is the UA Band Day where there would be up to 15,000 people who all thought you were a god. It is not the same feeling as DCI Finals either. But my last year there I had more fun wanting to perform for the audience and myself than I did when I wanted to show off for other bands.

I highly recommend checking out some of their shows on a tube of you site(2004,2003,2002,2007 are my favorites, and 2005 if you like Led Zepplin [and it's not a typical college Led Zepplin]).

I give high credits to Jay Rees because he is an amazing college band director.

I still don’t get it. What’s so hard about taking a bus to one place and having a competition? Just to see who has the best show. The HBCU (Honda) bands do it and they make it work, so why can’t others? I’m still not convinced of some of the things that were said on here (it costing millions of dollars, etc)? Somehow, I don’t think so. How are the HBCU bands able to do it?

I also think that some people here just don’t want to see a college marching band competition and I don’t get that either. A college marching band competition would be fascinating and some college marching bands can be as good as drum corps.

It's not "a" bus. It's 3-4 buses at least. And equipment. What stadium are you going to choose that is central so colleges can get there? Then you have to rent the stadium. Pay people to work concessions. Pay people to run the parking. Pay for hotel rooms. How far do you think a college band is going to drive to go to a competition? All night? What is the benefit to them? Are you going to fly in high school kids so the colleges can recruit? That costs money. The bottom line is, in order for someone to put on a show like the one you are describing, there has to be potential for PROFIT for someone. You should figure out who you think would profit, and then ask why that specific group or organization is not hosting this competition.

It would not even be fair, Jacksonville state would win hands down. I am sure that we rehearse more than just about every other band in the country and perform a more difficult show. We have a 2 1/2 week band camp and then 1 1/5 hours a day when school starts. this year we are doing Russian classical. it is awesome!

This is where the limitations of one's personal experience restricts one's opinion. Over the past 30 years, I've seen many bands from places one would never expect that have spectacular programs. I haven't seen Western Illinois or Western Michigan in several years, but 20 years ago, they were really something. Same for James Madison. And if you haven't seen Riverside Community...yes, a community college...well, I wouldn't even know where to begin with them.

The point is, stating without reserve that your band (which is outstanding, I'm aware) would win hands down is a bit presumptuous because there very well could be bands that would astound you, and they could be from bands you haven't had the pleasure of hearing about, yet.

It's not "a" bus. It's 3-4 buses at least. And equipment. What stadium are you going to choose that is central so colleges can get there? Then you have to rent the stadium. Pay people to work concessions. Pay people to run the parking. Pay for hotel rooms. How far do you think a college band is going to drive to go to a competition? All night? What is the benefit to them? Are you going to fly in high school kids so the colleges can recruit? That costs money. The bottom line is, in order for someone to put on a show like the one you are describing, there has to be potential for PROFIT for someone. You should figure out who you think would profit, and then ask why that specific group or organization is not hosting this competition.

My answer to this is the same as above. How does BOA profit? How does DCI profit? How about DCA profit? How do they handle the things that you described? What do people do for high school football games as far as concession stands, parking, etc. goes? My answer is the same as above. As for stadium, it could be a high school stadium. It doesn't mean that the bands have to stay over night (and make it regional e.g midwest, east coast, etc ). We at my college used to go out of town and then go back home after the performance. And sometimes, the students paid a bit to go out of town from places like Missouri to Indianapolis. I don't have all of the answers, but I'm still optimistic is possible.

Edited by En929

That's all well and good, but clearly the parties you would have to interest--the bands themselves--have no desire to do so.

It would not even be fair, Jacksonville state would win hands down. I am sure that we rehearse more than just about every other band in the country and perform a more difficult show. We have a 2 1/2 week band camp and then 1 1/5 hours a day when school starts. this year we are doing Russian classical. it is awesome!

We practiced MW 3-6, F 3PM-10PM, Saturday 8AM-12PM every week until our "bowl game" (which we haven't gone too since 98). So if you practice more than that I feel sorry for you because i thought that was a lot!

Not saying Jacksonville State would not win hands down, but there are many different styles of bands out there than just your type. Which is part of the problem, every style is apples to oranges.

Not trying to rip JSU because I watched some videos and they are good, but before you throw out comments like "win hands down", " rehearse more than just about every other band", "perform a more difficult show", make sure you understand the comparisons.. And when you say perform a more difficult show, obviously you mean music because your drill demands aren't any harder than 8 to 5.

How would you judge best hands down? Execution? Entertainment? Demand? Best dance moves? Best Santana arrangement? :whistle: College band is not drum corps or high school, the audience is different. I praise bands who are capable of entertaining both drunk football fans (me starting last year!) and musicians (high school/college/prof). By the looks of videos online you guys don't seem to play at football games but rather high school shows. Which is all fine and dandy, and it looks like you are playing for "your" audience. Most BCS college bands have a pre-show/stand tunes to work on for every game and then their half time show. So of course execution will suffer because of that. Look at my college band, our music ensemble and visual technique have execution problems, but given the circumstances I think it is okay for the execution.

You can quote me because I made comments too, but I made sure to say our style or in my opinion. For obvious reasons ASU fans will say the UA band is horrible, and it's all a matter of opinion.