Southwind returning in 2009?

Sam98

No, it's because I've gone back and watched Southwind's past shows and compared them with Crown's shows, and despite my pro-Crown bias, I still think Crown is technically the better corps. Notice I say "technically." If I had the opportunity to march with both corps, then I could give you a better assessment.

Don't assume that because I'm young I don't know how to make informed opinions

Edited by K-Swiss

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why's that? You don't think Southwind is good enough to compete with Crown?

Of course Southwind can't compete with Crown.

1.) They're not nearly as good.

2.) They aren't even fielding a drum corps as of now.

I love Southwind, but its just plain logic.

"Not nearly as good" what do you mean by that? At what? Scoring...oh, Zippedee-####in'-doo-dah, because that's going to matter in life...

As far as a positive experience where the members learn a lot and have great memories, you better know what your talking about before you spout off.

But as per usual, our basis on these boards of success is what the judges say...

How about we get back to the topic at hand-will Southwind be back? Not sure. When will we know? When Mike makes an announcement. "But that was supposed to be this month?" Yeah September isn't even half over yet...

Anything else on the topic, or do we just need it to stay open so we can jump on a soap box and have a pissing contest about what corps are good-because as I stated earlier, we know that, just read the score sheets...that's all that matters, right?

Just trying to figure out the logic.

Edited by elmhurstmusiced

"Not nearly as good" what do you mean by that? At what? Scoring...oh, Zippedee-####in'-doo-dah, because that's going to matter in life...

As far as a positive experience where the members learn a lot and have great memories, you better know what your talking about before you spout off.

But as per usual, our basis on these boards of success is what the judges say...

How about we get back to the topic at hand-will Southwind be back? Not sure. When will we know? When Mike makes an announcement. "But that was supposed to be this month?" Yeah September isn't even half over yet...

Anything else on the topic, or do we just need it to stay open so we can jump on a soap box and have a pissing contest about what corps are good-because as I stated earlier, we know that, just read the score sheets...that's all that matters, right?

Just trying to figure out the logic.

The comment was "you don't think southwind can compete with crown?"

my answer was "no"...in the area of competitive drum corps, right now, they can't. its simple. I said NOTHING about the way the organization is run. So shut your digital mouth. :tongue:

It's funny that this whole bout of defensiveness started with a poster saying he was comfortable recommending Southwind to potential members.

Yeah. If I had thought it would go here I wouldn't have said anything at all.

Let me try this -

Southwind in it's most recent incarnation has been a class organization where the kids marching have been treated with dignity, fed sufficiently, and have come home after the summer having had an outstanding drum corps experience.

If my daughter decides she wants to march drum corps (I so hope she does) when she turns 16 and if the Southwind is available in much the same form it was from say 2003 or so until 2007, I would be thrilled to see her elect to audition for Southwind.

I cited Carolina Crown as a very fine, accomplished drum corps.......one that because of it's success is becoming increasingly difficult to make without some pretty solid marching and/or playing experience. One that an inexperienced 16 year old may not be able to make. I also cited Crown because for someone living in my area, Crown would be the nearest DI corps and one that would be considered for a prospective member who is ready for a drum corps at that level.

BUT.......not everyone is at that level. Not at first anyway. That's why the survival of corps who welcome younger, less experienced kids into the activity is so important.

Wish I'd said this in the first place........it might have made my point (which was to affirm my support for the Southwind organization) easier to understand.

Yeah. If I had thought it would go here I wouldn't have said anything at all.

Let me try this -

Southwind in it's most recent incarnation has been a class organization where the kids marching have been treated with dignity, fed sufficiently, and have come home after the summer having had an outstanding drum corps experience.

If my daughter decides she wants to march drum corps (I so hope she does) when she turns 16 and if the Southwind is available in much the same form it was from say 2003 or so until 2007, I would be thrilled to see her elect to audition for Southwind.

I cited Carolina Crown as a very fine, accomplished drum corps.......one that because of it's success is becoming increasingly difficult to make without some pretty solid marching and/or playing experience. One that an inexperienced 16 year old may not be able to make. I also cited Crown because for someone living in my area, Crown would be the nearest DI corps and one that would be considered for a prospective member who is ready for a drum corps at that level.

BUT.......not everyone is at that level. Not at first anyway. That's why the survival of corps who welcome younger, less experienced kids into the activity is so important.

Wish I'd said this in the first place........it might have made my point (which was to affirm my support for the Southwind organization) easier to understand.

You didn't need to say this in the first place. I understood your first post perfectly. Unfortunately, defensivness and thread hijaking are the norm here. Like I said in one other thread. "<sigh> such is DCP.

This bickering crap is going on because some people can't listen to other people's opinions. And that is all they are "opinions". Everybody has one, and you don't have to like them. If you don't agree with it, so be it, but why should anyone insult someone about their opinion on any subject. I never understand that. My two cents (opinion if you will).