Removing Names From Drumheads

MiniSopGuy

Acetone (find it in the paint section at Home Depot, Lowes, Etc...)

It's basically nail polish remover. Soak a rag and poor some on the label. Hold the rag down on the print for a few seconds to let the Acetone eat at the paint. Wipe off. Continue to do this until the label is gone. As a precaution I wipe it down with water afterwards. I have never had a problem with this damaging the head in anyway. Just don't get it on any print you want to keep.

I find that taking off one letter at a time is the best way to keep the paint form smearing and making the task take longer then it should.

It evaporates pretty rapidly so don't leave the cap off while you are cleaning.

For those out there that have done it, what do you use to remove the printed brand names from the drumheads and not damage the head itself? Speciffically bass heads.

Anything Alcohol based really.

Soak up a cloth, let her sit, then give it some elbow grease. comes right off!

"Goo Gone" works really well.

And ive never seen it damage the head.might take some "gloss" off of it if its shiny, but who cares? you dont see that unless you are within 5 feet of the thing.

I always used nail polish remover. It worked fine. (As anders said, it is essentially watered down acetone with perfumes to cover up the nasty chemical smell).

Thanks for the tips guys!

The high school I teach have turned the heads to have the name level but for some reason every time they harness up, they are still not. I said just take the names off and dont worry about it or hassle with it but my perc guy wasn't sure what to use. Besides, Yamaha doesn't give us anything for using their drums why should I advertise their name?

Thanks again!

As you may or may not know Acetone is an membrane irritant and just generally not the best thing to breathe. I have had great success with just using a dry Brillo pad and rubbing lightly. Just another thought

If they're not level when they strap up, it's a problem with the carriers and T-bars, not the logos

what do you use to remove the printed brand names from the drumheads and not damage the head itself?

The VP of Sales of a drum manufacturer was not amused when I asked him that very question.

I'm pretty sure he'll get over it, sales are what matters. It's been happening for years

Edited by Fastone