Removing Names From Drumheads

MiniSopGuy

I've been doing this for years. One thing about logos, they let you know if your players are standing up straight and marching straight. The big basses have a tendency to lean back to carry the drum, and the small basses sometimes like to lean forward a bit when they are getting into it.

I used to do this at corps, remove the logos at camp 1. Have the player put the drum on and stand straight up, I would then put a stripe of black tape (parallel to the ground) where they logo would be. It was easier to tell if they were leaning back or forward while marching. In time for tour we would put new heads on and adjust the logo based on some cues on the rims etc. One year we even just put stickers on that said Premier, and didn't have to mess with the heads.

If you aren't getting paid to sponsor the drums, why not remove the logos and put your own on? If done well it would look cool.

Thanks for the tips guys!

The high school I teach have turned the heads to have the name level but for some reason every time they harness up, they are still not. I said just take the names off and dont worry about it or hassle with it but my perc guy wasn't sure what to use. Besides, Yamaha doesn't give us anything for using their drums why should I advertise their name?

Thanks again!

I take them off anyway. HS Kids (especially ones that end up playing bass) are usually not experienced enough or physically adapted to carrying equipment correctly so even if you level them there is always a tendency for them to lean one way or the other.

It sounds like the labels were leveled with the drums off the kids. The easiest and most accurate way to leveling them is to always do it with the drums on the player.

Another reason I just take them off is that no matter how much leveling you do some of the kids usually end up losing weight (especially if they were a little out of shape to start) and the label almost always ends up leaning as the pounds come off.

If they're not level when they strap up, it's a problem with the carriers and T-bars, not the logos

No, it means the logos were not aligned properly and/or the players aren't standing with proper posture.

I've done the nail polish remover trick before. I seem to remember Pearl logos taking forever to come off compared to others.

Goo Gone usually works for snare heads, never tried it on bass drums.

Goo Gone usually works for snare heads, never tried it on bass drums.

It works on bass heads just the same but you are going to go through a lot more of it. I suggest using stuff you can get in bulk. Your local hardware stores paint department has plenty to choose from ;)

Edited by KiltieBD3

• 1 month later...

I was anal-retentive picky back in my college drumline days about everything being uniform and clean across the line. I removed the logos so we didn't have to worry about getting them straight and in case we busted a head and the replacement was a different brand. We used mostly Remo's back then so those little Remo logos came off pretty easily.

Yeah, nail polish remover on a cotton ball or white towel works best. Then follow it up with a little lysol foam or scrubbing bubbles to take off any nail polish remover residue and smell........

P.S. Get those Basses up there high and above eye level.