So, how hard is it to make it on trumpet?

OdeToArsenal47

Yeah, I originally thought I would go Mello as my first brass horn for drum corps, but I'm not sure if I can take one out now (no idea why my band director won't let me). There aren't any other avenues (price is an issue), so I'm looking around at other horns. Trumpet has caught my eye, particularly because of the cheapness for a beginner horn. Just looking at craigslist, I see some Conns, Kings, and a Yamaha for less than $200.

So, my question is, how hard is it to make it in drum corps on trumpet? With the amount of people that play it, I'd assume that it's really competitive. Is this true? I don't want to sound disrespectful or anything, but I'd just really like to play in a World Class corps one day. If it is indeed as hard as I think it is, would it be easy to switch to mellophone or baritone from trumpet?

Thanks.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just looking at craigslist, I see some Conns, Kings, and a Yamaha for less than $200.

Go on eBay and score an Olds Ambassador for a hundy or so.

After the nuclear holocaust, all that's left on earth will be Olds Ambassadors, Shure microphones ......... and cockroaches.

Going from Trumpet to Mello really isn't all that hard. You just have to get used to playing everything a 4th lower. That being said Mellophone is also very competitive. If you could make the transistion to Baritone then your chances of making a spot are much greater.

I would say that you should choose the instrument you wish to play. The one that YOU WANT to play - not the easiest one.

Then do what is necessary for you to excel on that instrument.

I agree completely. If you are a good and disciplined musician, you can become fluent and proficient on any instrument that you put a great amount of work into. Go for it!

If you have the time (next year isn't your age-out) and the resources ($$), you might do better going to an Open Class corps (old Division II) for one season. Or, if possible, latch on to an All-age corps (i.e. DCA). You'll get the chance to improve your skills and will have related experience on your resume. Going for the big time without at least one year of experience might be disappointing.

I would say that you should choose the instrument you wish to play. The one that YOU WANT to play - not the easiest one.

Then do what is necessary for you to excel on that instrument.

I agree. If you make the cut and go on tour, you'll be playing whatever it is EVERY DAY. If you hate the sound of it, you could be in for a long summer.

When kids ask me about learning the trumpet, I always ask them why they want to play it as opposed to flute, clarinet, sax, etc. The best answer I've gotten so far is "I like the sound".

It would be easy to switch from a trumpet to a mellophone. Trumpet to baritone, not so much. World Class trumpet is highly competitive. You need to have solid flexibility, good tone, and good grasp on range.

Very true, and don't forget about the marching side of it as well. I have a student who tried out for BD last season who was told that his playing was good enough but his marching wasn't.