Question about music clearance

TKYR_FA1986

did you ever get your answers to these questions?

Who actually has to approve the use of music? The artist? The writer? The publisher? How often do they say no? How much music is being used without proper clearance? I have heard Prince and Bjork in Logan's shows and I know Prince doesn't give clearance for ANYTHING.

well, I dont believe I can answer all of your questions but i think you can get part of what you are looking for off of the WGI website. once your their go to RESOURCES and then to COPYRIGHT INFORMATION and i'm sure you can find something.

best of luck :tongue:

From what I understand, as long as you fill out the copyright form correctly, you can use the music as WGI gets all the rights based on that form. The only exception is for percussion units, who must have writes to transcribe the music.

Have you seen the WGI videos where the music is not on the video? It's because WGI couldn't get rights to use the music in a video, although they and the performing groups had the rights to use the music in an education/performance venue.

At least, as I said, that's my understanding of how it works.

Since we're on the topic, I've always wondered if its just been trail and error knowing what music will be allowed- meaning that a guard will use music all season, make finals, and then WHOOPS! No music on the DVD. I know that the guard must have their clearances for their music to be played in an arena type setting, but what if there are different stipulations regarding the DVD? Is this why we're still getting performances without the music?

Edited by Odessa

Since we're on the topic, I've always wondered if its just been trail and error knowing what music will allowed- meaning that a guard will use music all season, make finals, and then WHOOPS! No music on the DVD. I know that the guard must have their clearances for their music to be played in an arena type setting, but what if there are different stipulations regarding the DVD? Is this why we're still getting performances without the music?

There are different types of clearances. Clearance to use the music as a performance piece/educational tool, and clearance to sell your performance. Since the DVDs are sold, they (WGI) did not receive permission to use the piece for that purpose, and so the music could not be used on the DVDs.

In the case of Braddock...2006(?) where they used Denzel Washington's voice, they were allowed to use the music, but not the vocals, which is why there's a midi version of the music on the video. You really don't know what's going on completely without those vocals, though.

Guards know prior to WGI if they do or do not have clearance. The problem is that sometimes they do not know until after the show has already been designed. Last season Blessed Sac changed the music for a large portion of the show after they found out mid season that one of the pieces was not cleared.