Is Music dead?

Bruce Linderman

It seems that very little music has been written over the past 10 to 15 years or so. However, music from film is better than ever; both in quantity and quality.

What really surprises me though, is that I hear very little of this wonderful film music played by drum and bugle Corps.

Am I wrong? In the past 10 years, which Corps have played music from, let's say, Jurassic park or Pirates of the Caribbean. How about that really neat theme from sky Captain and the world of tomorrow?

Last year, the Kilty's played a little bit of Gabriel's oboe. What a beautiful theme. They just didn't play enough of it.

Does anyone know of any other Drum and bugle Corps who have played some great theme music from film, especially in recent years?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Magic of Orlando 2004 did Pirates. Danny Elfman music has been done by various corps (Including Glassmen this year doing music from "Pee-wee's Big Adventure"). In 1990 some corps did a show called "Adventures on Earth" which included Batman and Star Wars. Blue Knights 1993 did a Star Trek show. And lets not forget Phantom and Spartacus!

Now just shows based on movie music, its been toyed with, but most corps want to do something that scores high in GE and Music effect, so they go for the hardest, most technical stuff.

Now just shows based on movie music, its been toyed with, but most corps want to do something that scores high in GE and Music effect, so they go for the hardest, most technical stuff.

g.,

That's a shame, and probably the reason I've lost interest in Drum Corps. The music, or lack of it, sucks anymore. The seniors want to play music from 1940, and the DCI's want to play for the judges, if they play at all.

Traditionally, movie music was very popular in Drum Corps. The "Bottle Dance" is not only a classic, but maybe even iconic.

If you listen to bands, (some of which are incredible) they play a lot of music from the movies.

There has been speculation that Drum Corps is a dying art form....maybe?

It seems that very little music has been written over the past 10 to 15 years or so. However, music from film is better than ever; both in quantity and quality.

What really surprises me though, is that I hear very little of this wonderful film music played by drum and bugle Corps.

The fees to use said music can be excessive, which means it isn't going to get used much.

TAFL

I disagree that there is little new music coming out. Just last season, SCV did a pretty good show with tunes from Eric Whitacre, Philip Glass, John Adams, and other people. (all very modern composers.

Also, Bluecoats did "Gonna Fly Now" this year (From Rocky), for a movie theme.

I wouldn't want all of the shows to be movie themes and new compositions though. While I love them, I think it makes it a little less special when they do come along if you are inundated with movie themes (see: college marching band shows).

The seniors want to play music from 1940.

I disagree with you here. GCS has been playing Classic Rock tunes for 2 years, brought out 80s music, and other works along those lines. Now I'll give you that other corps probably won't come away from playing their "traditional" music, but there are corps out there playing 20th century and contemporary music that are no more than 40 yrs. old. If I had the chance to select some pieces for corps, I'd select stuff that has been recently made to show the audience that music writing is alive and well, and can be arranged for drum corps.

It all depends on what "image" the corps is going for, I guess. I like the corps that do still play for the audience. There are still some out there, you just have to recognize who they are.

I disagree that there is little new music coming out. Just last season, SCV did a pretty good show with tunes from Eric Whitacre, Philip Glass, John Adams, and other people. (all very modern composers.

Also, Bluecoats did "Gonna Fly Now" this year (From Rocky), for a movie theme.

I wouldn't want all of the shows to be movie themes and new compositions though. While I love them, I think it makes it a little less special when they do come along if you are inundated with movie themes (see: college marching band shows).

I hope you're correct, and that composing is alive and well. That was part of my point, that bands do a lot of movie music....certainly a lot more than drum corps, and that is why I'd like to hear more of it coming from drum corps, since I don't listen to a lot of bands.

I'm a drum corps nut from way back, but I find myself listening to bands more and more nowadays, and for a lot of reasons. Also, getting back to my first love - the symphony.

Thanks for the reply, I'm learning a lot.

I disagree with you here. GCS has been playing Classic Rock tunes for 2 years, brought out 80s music, and other works along those lines. Now I'll give you that other corps probably won't come away from playing their "traditional" music, but there are corps out there playing 20th century and contemporary music that are no more than 40 yrs. old. If I had the chance to select some pieces for corps, I'd select stuff that has been recently made to show the audience that music writing is alive and well, and can be arranged for drum corps.

It all depends on what "image" the corps is going for, I guess. I like the corps that do still play for the audience. There are still some out there, you just have to recognize who they are.

It's interesting to note that my favorite corps at DCA, 2007, was Gulf Coast Sound. No kidding really! It was about the best 20 horns on a field that weekend. Congratulations on a great job. You owe a lot to Danny Rodriguez' charts, too. I understand he was dumped in "08. I just don't understand why.

Yes. Drum Corps needs to play to the audience. Otherwise, they will be losing mine.