SDCA

I'm disappointed that no one has mentioned a new group called Small Drum Corps Assocaition. This will be an indoor focused group with a limit on size.

I've been talking about something like this for quite a while. I think this is the future of the activity. It means lower cost all around.

"Currently, interest in participating within the SDCA has been expressed by The Bandetts, The Blue Notes, The Blue Saints, Capital Sound, The Chippewa Valley Raiders, The Classic Cavaliers, Chops, Inc., The Colt Cadets, The Derby City Knights, The Governaires, The Lakeshoremen, The Madison Scouts, The Northernaires, Pioneer, The Royal Airs, and The Twi Light Knights. At the same time, Ferrara states that he has been talking with corps managers from all over The United States and Canada and that “all have embraced this idea.”

They already have 3 or 4 shows scheduled in the midwest!

I'm disappointed that no one has mentioned a new group called Small Drum Corps Assocaition. This will be an indoor focused group with a limit on size.

I've been talking about something like this for quite a while. I think this is the future of the activity. It means lower cost all around.

"Currently, interest in participating within the SDCA has been expressed by The Bandetts, The Blue Notes, The Blue Saints, Capital Sound, The Chippewa Valley Raiders, The Classic Cavaliers, Chops, Inc., The Colt Cadets, The Derby City Knights, The Governaires, The Lakeshoremen, The Madison Scouts, The Northernaires, Pioneer, The Royal Airs, and The Twi Light Knights. At the same time, Ferrara states that he has been talking with corps managers from all over The United States and Canada and that “all have embraced this idea.”

I've been paying attention to this for quite a while myself. However, it's only in the midwest right now. I sent an e-mail to Mr. Ferrara a while back and he told me it would take a few years to spread it over to the east. I'm looking forward to that day, but until then I'm focused on the outdoor scene.

For more info on SDCA Arena Drum Corps, look at the web site www.TheSDCA.org

I forgot to say this, so sorry to all the people who hate double-posting. I'm all for arena drum corps in fact I'm very enthusiastic about it, but doesn't this idea already kind of exist as WGI? And I don't really like the idea of SDCA having an larger outdoor division, it just seems obsolete and like the start of something unoriginal that's going to fail. Besides, if it has 30+ brass it's not really a "small" drum corps. In fact, with only 30 it's already bigger than about 1/3 of the corps that compete in DCI.

I also just noticed on the website that it says SDCA will not interfere with DCI or DCA, although they are scheduled to have shows on DCI's finals week. Doesn't that seem really weird?

Again, I absolutely adore the idea of arena drum corps. But it should stay exclusively indoors, should only consist of corps "too small for the football field", and should not run through the summer. That's all.

Edited by MetalTones2012

Scratch Capital Sound from your list.

Scratch Capital Sound from your list.

Is it just me, or does this entire thing seem sketchy at best? I wish no ill will, but is there really a market for this? Do people really want to hear drums and horns in a high school gym?

Is it just me, or does this entire thing seem sketchy at best? I wish no ill will, but is there really a market for this? Do people really want to hear drums and horns in a high school gym?

Isn't DCJ mostly indoors?

Isn't DCJ mostly indoors?

DCJ, perhaps... but in venues much larger than American-sized high school gyms, from what I've seen.

I contacted Mr Ferrara to hear right from the source of what this is all about. First he is very accessible and graciously easy to talk to and will answer any question address without hesitation. SDCA-Arena Drum Corps Plus was designed to be a circuit for the off season of the drum corps community. After contacting numerous corps, many said they would also like to have field shows as well. This has been added under the conditions that any corps will need to have a corps size larger than the size for the arena aspect, to create a sound and visual effect for the audience to accept as a quality show.

SDCA is based on building from the community level out offering more opportunity for local involvement from participants and community business, organizations involvement. As for the comment made earlier in reference to not interfering with DCI & DCA, the community where the show is being held request SDCA to host a show during their annual community event. There are enough corps who are not involved with DCI (in this case) or DCA that want to become involved with this venue according to Mr Ferrara. What is unique about this organization is that all the participating corps share equally the gate receipts plus its a people choice awarding to the corps that performed to the best to grab the audience's attention. This is being done by voting with your phone. This is set up and has been tested.

He suggested to view the Northernaires webpage to see what they have accomplished so far by being the host for the first show in 2009. IMO this will be a very active organization and affordable to many corps who have been less fortunate to be active in the major circuits.

This is actually not a new idea, but a return to the past, when corps were much more local and smaller. Corps of the 60's and 70's had many performance opportunities indoors during the winter months. Many were held in conjunction with winter guard competitions, but some were actually separate events, such as the big exhibition shows that were held in places like Carnegie Hall and The Felt Forum in NYC. It was always awesome to play with a corps in some HS gym, as the sound was incredible, even with just 20-30 horns, versus the same corps performing outside. These performances were possible because most or all of the members were from the local area and they practiced two or three times per week all winter long (my corps was every Monday and Thursday evening from 7:00 - 10:00 PM). I am actually looking forward to seeing a few of these shows. I hope the circuit grows and thrives, as it may bring back the "local" corps activity.