Dynasty 3 Valve Bugles

Kansan

By reputation.

G Sops - pretty much disliked. Although some with custom lead pipes on them love them. And a few lead players that wont switch because it's the horn they know. And the older 2 valve degs seem to be liked as the best of the 2 valve era.

G Mellos - liked, even sought after in some cases.

G Baritones - good horn, I used to own one. If I didn't traditionally play Euph, I could have marched it and liked it. If I actually had to audition somewhere, I probably would have used that horn.

G Euph - nice sounding horn. But the 2 valve version had horrid intonation issues. And were quite limited in volume with the smaller shank / leadpipe. I preferred the sound of the 2 valve Deg to my current Kanstul. More of a mello Euph like sound. The 3 valve G Euph was respectable. I don't recall anything particularly bad about it. It seemed to favor the smaller mouthpieces and wasn't as open / free blowing as my Kanstul G Euph. But a good horn.

G Contra - nice horn, even sought after in some cases. If it's a wilson horn, it'll have wilson or swiss/switzerland stamped on it somewhere. I think it was on one of the valve stems of the contras.

Bb Euph - good horn. Ergonomics are a little whacked. On mine, the spit valve lever touches your wrist, and can accidentally be opened while playing. And there's some brace that's close to the hand position, so if you're not carefull you can whack it pretty good when snapping to attention. But well ballanced and sounds good. Not quite as easy playing as my Kanstul Euph. But works better with a smaller mouthpiece.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

G Baritones - good horn, I used to own one. If I didn't traditionally play Euph, I could have marched it and liked it. If I actually had to audition somewhere, I probably would have used that horn.

Hey Shadow! I had to chime in on this-

The G baritone 3 valve is actually a great horn. Some minor issues with intonation, but a vet can wail on this thing. Pair it up with a LOUD mouthpiece and you have a weapon out there on the field.

The G Kanstul 3 valve just feels like a much more solid horn, and seems to just have more craftmanship in it. I wouldn't be surprised if it can stand a lot more wear and tear than its brethren.

I have heard some great things about the B flat Dynasty, but never tried it out.

I have taken a whack at the 2 valve Dynasty G bari, and from what I can remember it was awesome (it was just a long, long time ago).

Hey Shadow! I had to chime in on this-

The G baritone 3 valve is actually a great horn. Some minor issues with intonation, but a vet can wail on this thing. Pair it up with a LOUD mouthpiece and you have a weapon out there on the field.

The G Kanstul 3 valve just feels like a much more solid horn, and seems to just have more craftmanship in it. I wouldn't be surprised if it can stand a lot more wear and tear than its brethren.

I have heard some great things about the B flat Dynasty, but never tried it out.

I have taken a whack at the 2 valve Dynasty G bari, and from what I can remember it was awesome (it was just a long, long time ago).

We had Baritone Players this last Saturday all on the new to us G 3 valve Baris and the sound as far as I could tell was smooth and even a little sweet. The ease of play almost makes, a former 2 valve driver, feel a little guilty.

Those Dynasty II baris are a chore to play in comparison. I do think the 2 valve horns are a little louder and Brasher sounding.

I forgot to add that I do own a b-flat, 0.570 bore Bach marching baritone. I have never tried marching this horn, but I love this thing.

It was an ebay purchase from some music store in Marietta, GA. It's a little heavy compared to a DEG bugle bari, but it has a very nice, smooth DARK sound. You would really have to blow on this horn to project it properly, but a whole line of these horns would be something to behold.

I have a parade today in Hamburg, PA.

I feel sorry for those on the parade route, as they will have to listen to our horribly, out of tune hornline, struggling ever so gallantly, but failing, to maintain pitch center and control on our 3 valve, DEG Dynasty, G bugles.

They're nice people, though, and they'll clap and cheer anyway. :thumbup:

I have a parade today in Hamburg, PA.

I feel sorry for those on the parade route, as they will have to listen to our horribly, out of tune hornline, struggling ever so gallantly, but failing, to maintain pitch center and control on our 3 valve, DEG Dynasty, G bugles.

They're nice people, though, and they'll clap and cheer anyway. :thumbup:

ya gotta love parades. ya just gotta- lol. (be sure to throw in some inebriated parade attendees).

(sorry this is off-topic):

My favorite parades/routes are the Galveston seawall parade "all star drum corps parade", and the Racine, WI 4th of July parade. Each is a totally different animal, but equally fun.

I have many friends that SWEAR by the 2 valve DEG for parade usage, for what its worth (very light and effort-free horn).

Yes, I am in the market for one.

Have fun today in Hamburg, I am jealous. I bet the weather is perfect!

By reputation.

G Sops - pretty much disliked. Although some with custom lead pipes on them love them. And a few lead players that wont switch because it's the horn they know. And the older 2 valve degs seem to be liked as the best of the 2 valve era.

Gotta disagree with you here. Played a new out of the plastic bag G two valve DEG. Could not stand the thing. Could not get a high D to settle in. Switched to a 20 year old King K20 and you could see a bright light and hear a choir of angels singing! Without a doubt the K20 was the best G soprano ever built! I currently play on a G Kanstul Powerbore and it is a great horn, but it's no K20. Bb horns I could not say. I own and play on Yamaha but could not comment on how they stack up drumcorps wise.

Edited by dugada

Gotta disagree with you here. Played a new out of the plastic bag G two valve DEG. Could not stand the thing. Could not get a high D to settle in. Switched to a 20 year old King K20 and you could see a bright light and hear a choir of angels singing! Without a doubt the K20 was the best G soprano ever built! I currently play on a G Kanstul Powerbore and it is a great horn, but it's no K20. Bb horns I could not say. I own and play on Yamaha but could not comment on how they stack up drumcorps wise.

Soprano wise, we went from 2 valve Ultratones to 2 valve DEGS and I have to tell you the OLDS Ultratone sop was better than the DEG 2 valve, but I didn't care for either compared to the old Piston/Rotors. That was many moons ago, though.

I had an OLDS Ultratone Piston/Rotor when I first joined the Bucs Alumni corps and loved it - like an OLD(S) friend. Later the Alumni corps switched to all two valves. I hated the 2 valves and as soon as they were available I bought my own 3 valve G bugle from DEG. I love it. I tried the Kanstul, too, I didn't care for the Kanstul, (I found it to be very similar to the 2 valve bugles in stuffiness and also found it harder to hold)

Best of all, is that my DEG 3 valve is CHROME! :happy:

• 3 weeks later...
I'm not a baritone player, so I can't really comment on that voice. But I have played several Dynasty sopranos, and they were the worst instruments I have ever played. Terrible pitch center, terrible construction, etc...worse than a student horn. The Kanstul Powerbore is vastly superior in every way.

But their baritone might be good!

I have been playing sporano for quite a while. I had been playing on a Deg 2V for about 3 years when I stole, no bought, well both, a K-20. Here is wha I found:

Deg Partials - 3 miles wide

King Partials - closer than a french horns

Deg Tone - Cat in a microwave

King Tone - melted chocolate poured on a stick of butter

Deg Thumb Saddle - ever really wanted to work even after being serviced and lubed

King Thumb Saddle - Would fall off if not for the screw holding it in place

Thought each were equally comfortable to hold and get air through.

I have been playing sporano for quite a while. I had been playing on a Deg 2V for about 3 years when I stole, no bought, well both, a K-20. Here is wha I found:

Deg Partials - 3 miles wide

King Partials - closer than a french horns

Deg Tone - Cat in a microwave

King Tone - melted chocolate poured on a stick of butter

Deg Thumb Saddle - ever really wanted to work even after being serviced and lubed

King Thumb Saddle - Would fall off if not for the screw holding it in place

Thought each were equally comfortable to hold and get air through.

kind of worried that you know what that sounds like.