DCI Tryouts

fitzamous rex

i am a newbie, ive been doing guard for two years which to many readers here who are hardcore vets, it may seem very dumb for me try for dci. but if you met me in person and watched me do my thing, you wouldnt be so quick to judge(not saying that you are). ive learned as much as i could possiblely learn here as i high schooler, i spent like 2 hours a day after practice earlier from 3:30 to 5:30, so i spend 4 hours a day working on this everyday. i am totally dedicated to guard, i work til i get it and refuse to let anything stop me. in my two years ive went from nothing to being the one of best on our guard, our guard winning three superiors at sound of silver invitational and mceachern. im not very boastful, i love to be a member of the guard and will tell u now im not the best guard girl youll ever meet, expected i guess from just being on 2 years but i want to be the best i can. i want to try out for dci, spirit specifically and one day crown, but am currently setting my goals for dca alliance. im not sure if they will accept me and just throw me out instantly when i say ive been doing it for two years. i know ppl w corp experience get preference over newbies and ppl with more experience get preferred as well but i am hoping that the fact that i can compete with and sometimes do better than ppl who have been doing it up to 8 years will impress them and perhaps give me an upperhand. i love guard and am probably one of the most dedicated fanatics you will find. i just want to keep on doing what i love best after high school, guard is truly my life and its all i have. im hoping some of you vets will give advice to an aspiring dci/dca member. i dont wanna seem braggy to anyoneat all, i wish i could personally show you my ability to learn quickly and my passion but i guess explainin it is the only way i could do so online. i love guard and want nothing more than to take it to the next level so any advice, or help as to what i should practice to prepare for tryouts or what to expect, it is HIGHLY encouraged. im just a noob trying to bring my passion to the next level. please dont think im braggy or a snob, i promise im not. just lookin for some help from some highly experienced members.

thank you! :rolleyes:

Edited by fitzamous rex

As a fellow member of her band (and her boyfriend, but I'd have this opinion of her anyway, so no point in coming off as biased, right? :smile: ), I can confirm that she is the most passionate guard girl I've ever seen. She spins circles around our band's captains. Her drive is unbelievable. What she lacks in experience she makes up for with an incredible work ethic and her ability to learn and adapt very quickly. But don't take it from me- talk to her yourself. :tongue: Go, baby, go! <3

• 3 weeks later...
i am a newbie, ive been doing guard for two years which to many readers here who are hardcore vets, it may seem very dumb for me try for dci. but if you met me in person and watched me do my thing, you wouldnt be so quick to judge(not saying that you are). ive learned as much as i could possiblely learn here as i high schooler, i spent like 2 hours a day after practice earlier from 3:30 to 5:30, so i spend 4 hours a day working on this everyday. i am totally dedicated to guard, i work til i get it and refuse to let anything stop me. in my two years ive went from nothing to being the one of best on our guard, our guard winning three superiors at sound of silver invitational and mceachern. im not very boastful, i love to be a member of the guard and will tell u now im not the best guard girl youll ever meet, expected i guess from just being on 2 years but i want to be the best i can. i want to try out for dci, spirit specifically and one day crown, but am currently setting my goals for dca alliance. im not sure if they will accept me and just throw me out instantly when i say ive been doing it for two years. i know ppl w corp experience get preference over newbies and ppl with more experience get preferred as well but i am hoping that the fact that i can compete with and sometimes do better than ppl who have been doing it up to 8 years will impress them and perhaps give me an upperhand. i love guard and am probably one of the most dedicated fanatics you will find. i just want to keep on doing what i love best after high school, guard is truly my life and its all i have. im hoping some of you vets will give advice to an aspiring dci/dca member. i dont wanna seem braggy to anyoneat all, i wish i could personally show you my ability to learn quickly and my passion but i guess explainin it is the only way i could do so online. i love guard and want nothing more than to take it to the next level so any advice, or help as to what i should practice to prepare for tryouts or what to expect, it is HIGHLY encouraged. im just a noob trying to bring my passion to the next level. please dont think im braggy or a snob, i promise im not. just lookin for some help from some highly experienced members.

thank you! :lol:

thats great that you love colorguard the way you say you do. That will really help you succeed in the guard world in my opinion. This past summer I was a member of Spirit's colorguard. I was the second youngest member in the colorguard (by two months) and the youngest member on the weapon line, and it was pretty tough. My best advice is to just keep practicing, and audition to the best of your ability. I would really recommend spirit. We had members of different talent levels, which was pretty cool to see everyone improve over the summer. The staff there is tremendous. They are the best. They will really teach you so much. The caption heads have many years of teaching experience, and the techs have also had great performing experience. I dont know how long and who they have taught. Crown is another good colorguard, in my eyes they are my favorite guard to watch. Either guard is a really good place to go. What made you want to go specifically to Spirit im just wondering.

thats great that you love colorguard the way you say you do. That will really help you succeed in the guard world in my opinion. This past summer I was a member of Spirit's colorguard. I was the second youngest member in the colorguard (by two months) and the youngest member on the weapon line, and it was pretty tough. My best advice is to just keep practicing, and audition to the best of your ability. I would really recommend spirit. We had members of different talent levels, which was pretty cool to see everyone improve over the summer. The staff there is tremendous. They are the best. They will really teach you so much. The caption heads have many years of teaching experience, and the techs have also had great performing experience. I dont know how long and who they have taught. Crown is another good colorguard, in my eyes they are my favorite guard to watch. Either guard is a really good place to go. What made you want to go specifically to Spirit im just wondering.

Make sure you're dance ability is up. A good basis of ballet, jazz, and modern technique will help tremendously.

Be able to do at least 500 drop spins on each hand. You should be comfortable with a variety of tosses (peggy or silk tosses, 45s, and horizontal).

Any weapon skills will be a good asset. If you can toss up to a 5 now and work on a 6, you'll be in good shape! If not, just trying it at the 1st camp will show the staff that you won't give up. Make sure you can do both right and left spins in technique block.

Perform, perform, perform!!!

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Find out what you need to be able to do before you go. Be able to do it. Show up with a bundle of nerves and a great attitude (but don't be annoying to the instructors or other people). Try everything. Ask a few "sensible" questions.

If you don't make it, try another group or get some more experience and try again next year.

a person with your spirit and enthusiam for color guard could be a great asset. i would say to go try out for either or both teams. i have taught a dca color guard in the past and have always been the advocate of the young spinner (not always talking about age) who is willing to learn. go into auditions with and open mind. different guards use different techniquesor have different basics exercises. don't say.. "this is how we did it at my school"... not a good thing... show a willingness to make any adaptions according what the staff is telling you. as long as u show the effort being attempted they know you are trying to apply what they are telling you and they're not wasting their time trying to help you. this will get u far and show u want to make the team and better urself.

great advice!

a person with your spirit and enthusiam for color guard could be a great asset. i would say to go try out for either or both teams. i have taught a dca color guard in the past and have always been the advocate of the young spinner (not always talking about age) who is willing to learn. go into auditions with and open mind. different guards use different techniquesor have different basics exercises. don't say.. "this is how we did it at my school"... not a good thing... show a willingness to make any adaptions according what the staff is telling you. as long as u show the effort being attempted they know you are trying to apply what they are telling you and they're not wasting their time trying to help you. this will get u far and show u want to make the team and better urself.