I hope this isn't a stupid Topic

If you're gonna be a dance major don't be an idiot like me and get certified to teach, which i think other people have mentioned. Ugh. I need to consider getting my emergency certification after I graduate.

If you're gonna be a dance major don't be an idiot like me and get certified to teach, which i think other people have mentioned. Ugh. I need to consider getting my emergency certification after I graduate.

What do you mean?

If you get a degree and still want to teach guard, make sure you get a teaching certificate that would allow you to actually teach other subjects in school, that would basically guarantee you a job while still being able to teach a guard.

• 2 weeks later...

What is it about colorguard that makes you want to do it as a "career"?

You mentioned Sociology and Public Relations. I'm an advertising major which helps me use my creative side often. I also march/teach and have two jobs. At 27yrs old I know I need to plan for when I can't be as involved in guard as I would like, but it will always be a part of my life. A degree in education would help a lot if you find a school that needs a instructor and a teacher. I just lost a guard job because the school district is low on funds and decided to use someone they are already paying to do some extra work and help teach the guard. The got the drama teacher.

Are you marching a winter program? What teaching experience do you have?

• 4 weeks later...
Don't do it. Get a degree and do it on the side. I've seen many people who have been in the activity for years and don't get paid worth their talent and experience. These same people will tell you not to get sucked into guard for years and years. Plus when your body gives out what will you do then? Retire on those thousands you've been saving from your abundant paycheck?

Once again, don't do it as the main focus for your life. The top designers in the game do more than one thing.

as a full-time job..no.

as something you love..yes!

I am going on my 10 year high school reunion without a college degree, but everything i have done has been worht it. Dont get me wrong. I am working slowly towards my degree. but m philosophy is do everything you can while you're young. i would have regretted missing out on everything that has made me who I am because of what everyone else thought as normal graduating in 4 years, getting a normal 9- 5 job. It's also given me time o think about what i do want to do for the rest of my life. time that i personally needed.

• 1 month later...

I teach color guard, and I freelance as a graphic designer and writer. My degree is in advertising art and design. If you really want to make color guard a professional choice, IMHO, it is ideal if your "backup plan" includes something that is compatible. I apply many of the concepts of graphic design to the guard shows I design. And I actually use Illustrator and Photoshop to do my floor and flag designs. The way I see it, there isn't a whole lot of difference between graphic design and guard design anyway - it's all about color, lines, shape, texture, etc while working within a specified budget, yes? Same concepts, different media. The other option is to major in whatever your favorite school subject is (whether art or english or music or social studies or whatever), get a teaching certificate, and then teach guard as a "coaching position" once you are in a school district.

And ditto the others who said you need to pay your performance dues. If you are serious about this, you absolutely must march drum corps and independent winter guard. Take some dance, music and art classes in college (even if they are not your major, but just some basic 100 level ones). Also, you really need to learn how to sew if you don't know how to already.

Don't do it. Get a degree and do it on the side. I've seen many people who have been in the activity for years and don't get paid worth their talent and experience. These same people will tell you not to get sucked into guard for years and years. Plus when your body gives out what will you do then? Retire on those thousands you've been saving from your abundant paycheck?

Once again, don't do it as the main focus for your life. The top designers in the game do more than one thing.

I could not agree more!!!

Do it on the side, in the majority of the country Colorguard is not a class in school and often not even looked on as a sport. Boosters often pay salaries. No 401k, think of your future.

I loved every minute I taught but I made a choice once to teach rather than take a decent job that would have taken me away from my colorguard job. I made the mistake of putting off a good career option to teach. I regret that decision almost everday! Learn from you elders! lol

It's a fantastic activity as you know, and if you are a great talent you will be able to have a career and achieve guard success at the same time!