Need 1969-1974 Senior Show Help

Thanks all for the eye-witness help, really helps me with ordering the "first 4".

Irony is the DCA CDs arrived on the 31st while this was being discussed. Of course we started some of the Alumni show while working around the house. Before I go any deeper in my pcokets have to wait for my garage bill as our only car crapped out same day the CDs arrived. #### car must know I'm trading it in in a few months.

1972 was just a few years before I started so will have to go with 1975 DCA as tightest I ever saw. Even with the monsoon at the end. :happy:

1969 hurcs they did do the wheel but it was hang em high not maria.

1972 cru was an excelent dvd. it was the best show they did all year except fo a.l. nats. you will enjoy it

1969 rebs was the best of all the Requiem show's.

1972 sky was the best of all of them. traffic jam debuted that year and elks parade.

those are my suggestions.

Heh, ended up with this list by the time I was done decidin'....

Couldn't decide between 1970 Rockets and 1972 Cru then I saw Pittsburgh was 1970 PRELIMS!!

From having 1970 Westshoremen Bonnie-Scots at the same show I know the corps did not do the concert number for Prelims that year. ("Hey why is the show only 8 minutes long?" :tongue: )

Heh, ended up with this list by the time I was done decidin'....

Couldn't decide between 1970 Rockets and 1972 Cru then I saw Pittsburgh was 1970 PRELIMS!!

From having 1970 Westshoremen Bonnie-Scots at the same show I know the corps did not do the concert number for Prelims that year. ("Hey why is the show only 8 minutes long?" :tongue: )

I would disagree about 72 Sky only because 71 Sky at the Dream was peel your face time. I have said before on DCP this is the single greatest performance I have ever seen by any Drum Corps. Period!!

I would also check out Sun in 69. Their nickname was The Long Island Conservatory of Music. Procession of the Nobles is so clean it's ridiculous.

Like everyone else the complete 72 finals is beyond comprehension. I believe everyone in the top 5 beat everyone else. it was just that great a year.

Ordered the DVD Weds evening and it showed up Saturday AM. Express shipping even took care of the usual day delay getting out of the local Post Office (when dad gets the same mail we do it's always the day before :happy: ).

Before I go any further it was worth the $$ to me to see a real history lesson. Knew 1969 was sideline to sideline shows but didn't know 1972 had a finish line. That explains why some corps aren't that loud at the end of the show on the 72 Finals CDs I have (Hamburg Kingsmen come to mind). Biggest problem is video quality at parts due to age of original source which is understandable. But watching this on our bigger flat screen TV does show the (at times) static better. :happy: And don't sit too close or it is even more noticable. Didn't really bug me as I have remakes of old audio and nothing that old is perfect.

Quick recap:

1969 Dream - so THIS is what 1969 DC looks like. :happy: Camera at an angle from the end zone away from the starting line which gave an interesting POV of the show.

Hurcs - Missing first 15 or so seconds (oh well). Lot of the 1975 music which I enjoyed and blasting from the end zone with Thus Spake Zaranthusa (aka 2001: Space Odyssee).

Yankee Rebels - About 10 seconds of picture freezing (oh well again) but music intact. "Requiem" is better heard from 50 yard line and not the end zome corner but now I know what it looked like.

1972 DCA Finals - Really good quality and Aquinas/Hollander had the right amount of lighting for the camera. But.... WTF happened to the turf??? About 1/3 looked bare and did corps leave equipment behind the back sideline?

Sky - OK, we always liked Skys horn line and seeing a full hornline. *sigh*. Never knew Sky did a sunburst at end of "Elks Parade". Was always the company front from '74 on.

Cru - Opening horn blast on OTL is like.. "HELLO!!" :rolleyes: And fun to see a show I've blasted on the car stereo.

Dang - just wierd watching EMS working on guys who passed out after the corps hit the finish line (2 or 3 corps out of 4). Too many bad memories and glad it isn't like that anymore.

Ordered the DVD Weds evening and it showed up Saturday AM. Express shipping even took care of the usual day delay getting out of the local Post Office (when dad gets the same mail we do it's always the day before :happy: ).

Before I go any further it was worth the $$ to me to see a real history lesson. Knew 1969 was sideline to sideline shows but didn't know 1972 had a finish line. That explains why some corps aren't that loud at the end of the show on the 72 Finals CDs I have (Hamburg Kingsmen come to mind). Biggest problem is video quality at parts due to age of original source which is understandable. But watching this on our bigger flat screen TV does show the (at times) static better. :happy: And don't sit too close or it is even more noticable. Didn't really bug me as I have remakes of old audio and nothing that old is perfect.

Quick recap:

1969 Dream - so THIS is what 1969 DC looks like. :happy: Camera at an angle from the end zone away from the starting line which gave an interesting POV of the show.

Hurcs - Missing first 15 or so seconds (oh well). Lot of the 1975 music which I enjoyed and blasting from the end zone with Thus Spake Zaranthusa (aka 2001: Space Odyssee).

Yankee Rebels - About 10 seconds of picture freezing (oh well again) but music intact. "Requiem" is better heard from 50 yard line and not the end zome corner but now I know what it looked like.

1972 DCA Finals - Really good quality and Aquinas/Hollander had the right amount of lighting for the camera. But.... WTF happened to the turf??? About 1/3 looked bare and did corps leave equipment behind the back sideline?

Sky - OK, we always liked Skys horn line and seeing a full hornline. *sigh*. Never knew Sky did a sunburst at end of "Elks Parade". Was always the company front from '74 on.

Cru - Opening horn blast on OTL is like.. "HELLO!!" :rolleyes: And fun to see a show I've blasted on the car stereo.

Dang - just wierd watching EMS working on guys who passed out after the corps hit the finish line (2 or 3 corps out of 4). Too many bad memories and glad it isn't like that anymore.

Jim,

The '72 DCA was held at Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City. The equipment was left on the back sideline in preparation for full corps retreat. It also made it very difficult for equipment to "take a stroll" with so many eyes on it.

The burst in Elks and the Traffic Jam was Bobby Hoffman at his best, considering our reputation as 'marchers'.

Ray

Jim,

The '72 DCA was held at Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City. The equipment was left on the back sideline in preparation for full corps retreat. It also made it very difficult for equipment to "take a stroll" with so many eyes on it.

The burst in Elks and the Traffic Jam was Bobby Hoffman at his best, considering our reputation as 'marchers'.

Ray

Thanks Ray, that's what I get for ###-u-ming I was seeing Hollander because of stands at the end of the field. Never saw Roosevelt in person so I should take another look (like I need an excuse to watch again :rolleyes: ). Jeesh that's means all four shows were at Joisey City.... Having the camera at two different locations (end zone corner and 50 yard line) plus daylight and night time it does look like two different places. (Rons site sez 1969 Dream was at Roosevelt.)

LOL, seeing the equipment backfield I was trying to remember how we had our equipment before retreat at "Rochester". Then I remembered we never made Finals until DCA moved to Allentown. :happy:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Thanks Ray, that's what I get for ###-u-ming I was seeing Hollander because of stands at the end of the field. Never saw Roosevelt in person so I should take another look (like I need an excuse to watch again :rolleyes: ). Jeesh that's means all four shows were at Joisey City.... Having the camera at two different locations (end zone corner and 50 yard line) plus daylight and night time it does look like two different places. (Rons site sez 1969 Dream was at Roosevelt.)

LOL, seeing the equipment backfield I was trying to remember how we had our equipment before retreat at "Rochester". Then I remembered we never made Finals until DCA moved to Allentown. :happy:

yeah all the dream contest's were at roosevelt . untill the y started back up again. the different camera agangles were from different show's . dream was on the finish line and 1972 dca was moe towards the middle. it all depended on where they let the haas family set up. they are great dvd's and alow you to see how drumcorps was in it's hey day. to me that was drumcorps.

Ordered the DVD Weds evening and it showed up Saturday AM. Express shipping even took care of the usual day delay getting out of the local Post Office (when dad gets the same mail we do it's always the day before :laughing: ).

Before I go any further it was worth the $$ to me to see a real history lesson. Knew 1969 was sideline to sideline shows but didn't know 1972 had a finish line. That explains why some corps aren't that loud at the end of the show on the 72 Finals CDs I have (Hamburg Kingsmen come to mind). Biggest problem is video quality at parts due to age of original source which is understandable. But watching this on our bigger flat screen TV does show the (at times) static better. :lol: And don't sit too close or it is even more noticable. Didn't really bug me as I have remakes of old audio and nothing that old is perfect.

Quick recap:

1969 Dream - so THIS is what 1969 DC looks like. :rolleyes: Camera at an angle from the end zone away from the starting line which gave an interesting POV of the show.

Cru - Opening horn blast on OTL is like.. "HELLO!!" :lol: And fun to see a show I've blasted on the car stereo.

In 72 I marched with the hamburg kingsmen and the reason our recording at the end of the show seemed not as loud as the other corps was that during the exit we left the field by the traditional end zone and then we trooped the stands while playing the exit number. The we turned and made a coumpany front not more than 5 feet from the people in the stands. We played our closing fanfare of manhatten towers into the faces of the fans while our drum majors directed from about 10 rows up into the stands. The recording mikes were entirely behind the corps and that is why it didn"t come out on the recording. I am proud to have been part of the corps that changed drumcorps drill forever. This was the genius of fred gebhart our drill desighner

In 72 I marched with the hamburg kingsmen and the reason our recording at the end of the show seemed not as loud as the other corps was that during the exit we left the field by the traditional end zone and then we trooped the stands while playing the exit number. The we turned and made a coumpany front not more than 5 feet from the people in the stands. We played our closing fanfare of manhatten towers into the faces of the fans while our drum majors directed from about 10 rows up into the stands. The recording mikes were entirely behind the corps and that is why it didn"t come out on the recording. I am proud to have been part of the corps that changed drumcorps drill forever. This was the genius of fred gebhart our drill desighner

from 1970-73 the kingsman were crowd favrorites. they did a lot of things that were different for the times.