Euphonium

Kansan

If you can't find one, note that the Bach 5GS is roughly the same mouthpiece. Which I used in the Army Band for a few years. And on my Euph when I first got back into the swing of things. A bit of a shallower cup so you can cut through an ensemble when you need to. 25.65mm inner rim, as opposed to the 25.5mm inner rim of 51D. The shallower mouthpieces can be a bit squirelly as you're essentially changing the inner rim spec when you use more pressure. Which promotes bad habbits and pressure actually works as an effective playing technique.

10-4

Cut through the ensembe. Sounds like fun.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The traditional Euphonium mouthpiece is a 51D. The 6 1/2AL, 5GS, 5G, 51D, Conn 5E, BB1, and others are all about the same inner rim size. ~1" +/- 3mm.

That being said it depends on the horn. Remember that the Marching Euphonium, is sort of a mutt with a touch of Bass Trombone added in. In that regard, they tend to favor the larger mouthpieces. Something in the ballpark of a 3G would be well matched with many Marching Euphoniums. I tend to favor a Loud LM-35 (1 1/4G) for my Kanstul G Euphonium. For my Deg Bb and probably the G horn, they tended towards smaller mouthpieces in the Mead SM3 / 3G size range.

Coming from a baritone and a 6 1/2AL, you'll probably favor a 51D. Although given enough time on the horn, you might ultimately find it limiting and desire something bigger. The 51D is a good marching piece. Nice wide and flat rim to keep you from hurting yourself. Nice deep cup so you can still play long after your lips have swollen. But not so big that you loose much of your high end and endurance assets.

The 51D is however difficult to HONK below a written G on the treble clef staff. For me my LM-20 seems better matched to the Degs. My LM-35 is a fair match to the Kanstul. And my Kelly 1 1/2G was well matched to the King Bb Euph I tried at DCI 2007. Not to imply perfect match, but more in the ballpark than a 51D for me.

I was practicing Baritone 3rd part last night using a 6 1/2 AL and was having trouble with notes below middle C sounding stuffy. I fished through the mouthpieces we have and found a Schilke 51-D. I tried it out and found the lower note were a lot easier to play. I went back and tried the 1st part out with the 51-D and found it was just plain easier to play everything. I don't know why but it worked fine.

That was with a regular 3 valve G Dynasty Baritone. I won't be able to play the Euph until we get it out of the shop.

I was practicing Baritone 3rd part last night using a 6 1/2 AL and was having trouble with notes below middle C sounding stuffy. I fished through the mouthpieces we have and found a Schilke 51-D. I tried it out and found the lower note were a lot easier to play. I went back and tried the 1st part out with the 51-D and found it was just plain easier to play everything. I don't know why but it worked fine.

That was with a regular 3 valve G Dynasty Baritone. I won't be able to play the Euph until we get it out of the shop.

told you so :thumbdown:

me and my 51D love each other... i've been experimenting a little this semester, and I keep falling back (it has a lot to do with my range needs.. I need the upper and lower, and I can get to both on the 51D)

told you so :thumbup:

me and my 51D love each other... i've been experimenting a little this semester, and I keep falling back (it has a lot to do with my range needs.. I need the upper and lower, and I can get to both on the 51D)

I think I'll pick up a Kelly 51D Euro Shank and see how it works on the Euphonium.

If I don't like that I'll try that 51C4 piece and see how that works.

Just a heads up, I don't think I have seen any marching euphs that use a euro shank. Most euphs (and many baritones) use just plain large shank leadpipes. I am not sure if I have ever seen a medium shank marching horn, but you could have something I don't. What horn are you playing on?

I don't think I have seen any marching euphs that use a euro shank.

The 2-valve and first-generation 3-valve Dynasty G euphs were made by Willson, and are Euro shank.

Just a heads up, I don't think I have seen any marching euphs that use a euro shank. Most euphs (and many baritones) use just plain large shank leadpipes. I am not sure if I have ever seen a medium shank marching horn, but you could have something I don't. What horn are you playing on?

Yea, judging from its condition I'd say it's a 1st generation 3 Valve marching Euphonium in G. It's a Euro shank for sure as we tried the standard Bari Piece and Large Shank and they don't fit. The BAC Horn Dr. Says its a Euro shank.