Euphonium

Kansan

I play on a 3G

IMO its perfect for me in the range of parts for 3rd

It also sounds good for me up to maybe a high c but after that, ehh

I've never used a shilke 51D before but my friend uses it and sounds good to me but what do I know lol

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bachs with a G suffix are designed for the fartola register of bass trombone, that is why pitches will not center on the upper partials. For euph, stay in the 3-7 range of Bach sizes. I use a Conn Remington (about a Bach 5 size) with the throat opened up 3 drill sizes. I use a stock Remington on orchestral tenor trombone, and smallshank Remingtons on almost everything else.

i swear by the schilke 51 D. But i'm also a big fan for whatever sounds best on the player, and whatever works with the ensemble.

A 51D is similar to a 5G

Edited by kickhaltsforlife

I really like Brian Bowman's BB1 mouthpiece, I know Blue Devils use those because I saw the mouthpiece on the video they showed at retreat on finals, close up of a BD euph player with his horn at attention. Although they're a bit pricey. The 51D is a very good mouthpiece as well at a much cheaper price.

Ebay has lots of mouthpieces, I'm sure I can find what we need there. I bought some Mello 6 mouthpieces for 1/4 what a new one would cost.

I was talking with Mike the, "BAC Horn Dr.", and we discovered the Willson Euph takes a European Shank size and not the large shank. Learn something new every day.

Looks like the Euphonium will be at the Dr's for a little while as it needs some replacement braces and a pinched tube fixed along with the usual small mainteneance things like water key corks and new felts.

Mike says Willson makes good Brass Instruments.

I am going to come out and say it. The 6.5 AL mouthpiece is a terrible piece, and I have never heard somebody who sounds their best on one.

I switched over to the Bowman BB1BT, and I felt a huge improvement on my sound production, tone color and center. But here's the thing about switching off of the 6.5 AL, you will not last as long at first. It's going to be a climb, but once you get off of the thing,and practice on the new one (at least an hour a day at the very minimum), you will sound so much better for it that you will wonder why you stayed on it for so long.

I would not recommend anybody continuing to play on a 6.5 for more than two years after the first time they ever touch a low brass instrument. It trains your chops to be lazy, which trains them to make a bad sound.

Mike says Willson makes good Brass Instruments.

Willson is one of the, if not, the top manufacturer for concert euphoniums, with Besson up there too. I plan on testing out both models for my new concert euph sometime within the next year or so. I'm sure that they make (made?) great marching horns too, but you definitely can't go wrong with Willsons.

I am going to come out and say it. The 6.5 AL mouthpiece is a terrible piece, and I have never heard somebody who sounds their best on one.

Pooh Bear, your phone is ringing.

Ebay has lots of mouthpieces, I'm sure I can find what we need there. I bought some Mello 6 mouthpieces for 1/4 what a new one would cost.

Mello 6... that is ALL I can find in real life stores. >_> I can never find anything else. Also, if you are okay with the idea of a used mouthpiece... I mean, someone I know is okay, but some random ebay guy...