Euphonium

Kansan

I like to use Bach 6 1/2 AL for a Baritone. What mouthpiece would be the counterpart for this for the Euphonium?

We will eventually have 3 Euphoniums for a 3 player Euphonium 3rd Bari part to go with our 6 Baritones. So we will have 9 total in the Bari Section.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably use the mouthpiece you are most comfortable with, but if the boar sizes are different, get the mouthpiece equivalent with a different shank. they should go by the same name...

I like to use Bach 6 1/2 AL for a Baritone. What mouthpiece would be the counterpart for this for the Euphonium?

We will eventually have 3 Euphoniums for a 3 player Euphonium 3rd Bari part to go with our 6 Baritones. So we will have 9 total in the Bari Section.

Bach 6-1/2 AL is a great choice for baris

Shilke 51D is a great choice for euphs

take a look at Wayne Downey's custom pieces also....pb

Bach 6-1/2 AL is a great choice for baris

Shilke 51D is a great choice for euphs

take a look at Wayne Downey's custom pieces also....pb

I'll check with the BAC Horn Dr. when I take the Euph over for some maintenance. Shilke 51D hmmm.

Like crazymello said... use what is comfortable :happy:

But for the record... I know most of the Euphonium players at Statesmen all used 1 1/2 G's the last few years, but that was off the recommondation of Jerry Kelsey. The problem we found was that it was hard to play anything G ( above the staff) in any kind of tune from player to player... but that wasn't a problem because we were on the lowest bari part (4th in our case)

I have heard alot of people say that they use schilke 51D or even Bach 5 or 6 G... but I thin it all depends on the sound you want to achieve, the size of the cup in relevance to the tombre of the sound... etc etc

I really like Brian Bowman's BB1 mouthpiece, I know Blue Devils use those because I saw the mouthpiece on the video they showed at retreat on finals, close up of a BD euph player with his horn at attention. Although they're a bit pricey. The 51D is a very good mouthpiece as well at a much cheaper price.

But for the record... I know most of the Euphonium players at Statesmen all used 1 1/2 G's the last few years, but that was off the recommondation of Jerry Kelsey. The problem we found was that it was hard to play anything G ( above the staff) in any kind of tune from player to player... but that wasn't a problem because we were on the lowest bari part (4th in our case)

I don't write 3rd bari above that G (above the staff, treble clef), and I don't often take it that high (I don't recall any appearing in the show music).

And we'd have to have many more baris before I'd think about a 4th part.

TAFL

If you want my opinion on MY mouth, I HAVE a 3G, and I have good tone and control, but when I wanna wail on the triple Bbs and what not.... I gotta pull out the 6 1/2 AL. 5G I can do a good mixture of both, I just can't stay up as long. So, it DOES depend on your playing.

, but if the boar sizes are different, get the mouthpiece equivalent with a different shank.

I'd stay away from large boar if I were you. And wild boar too, for that matter. :happy:

2006%20hog%202.JPG