AUSTIN STARS Back for 2009!

Austin Stars Drum and Bugle Corps returns for the 2009 season!

Our Open House is scheduled for Sunday, December 14, 2008 from 1pm-5pm, followed by a "Social Gathering" at a nearby eatery.

Spots available in all sections!

Austin Stars Drum and Bugle Corps is the ONLY DCA corps in central Texas!

This year plans include travel to Atlanta, Georgia and DCA CHAMPIONSHIPS in Rochester, New York!

Visit our IMPROVED website at http://austinstars.org for additional information and to fill out a registration form!

Austin Stars Drum and Bugle Corps returns for the 2009 season!

Our Open House is scheduled for Sunday, December 14, 2008 from 1pm-5pm, followed by a "Social Gathering" at a nearby eatery.

Spots available in all sections!

Austin Stars Drum and Bugle Corps is the ONLY DCA corps in central Texas!

This year plans include travel to Atlanta, Georgia and DCA CHAMPIONSHIPS in Rochester, New York!

Visit our IMPROVED website at http://austinstars.org for additional information and to fill out a registration form!

I know you mean "Location".

But.

Is Denton too far East? AND how does that new group fit in this subject?

(I know that Frontier was DCA Central?

Gulf Coast Sound is DCA South.)

GREAT GOING TEXAS.

What will soon be DCA SOUTH WEST. Yes, it looks like you Texans and some states near bye will soon have your OWN REGION!!!!!

Edited by OldStyleCorps

GREAT GOING TEXAS.

What will soon be DCA SOUTH WEST. Yes, it looks like you Texans and some states near bye will soon have your OWN REGION!!!!!

It is great what is going on in Texas. It will be awesome when there is a true Texas circuit, and it seems to be happening sooner than later.

I did really enjoy that Florida DCS show though (2005), it was a long trip ~19 hours, but well worth the effort.

Go Austin! Can't wait to see what great things happen to you in 2009!

Edited by gcsbaribc

I know you mean "Location".

But.

Is Denton too far East? AND how does that new group fit in this subject?

(I know that Frontier was DCA Central?

Gulf Coast Sound is DCA South.)

GREAT GOING TEXAS.

I'm confused by your questions.

Denton, TX is northern Texas, near Dallas (about 1 hour from Oklahoma). Austin is considered to be Central Texas. Houston is South-east Texas.

We are the ONLY DCA corps in Central Texas. From what I remember, Frontier is DCA midwest/Central.

We are looking to draw members from Austin, San Antonio, Waco, and surrounding areas.

I hope I've answered your questions.

I'm confused by your questions.

Denton, TX is northern Texas, near Dallas (about 1 hour from Oklahoma). Austin is considered to be Central Texas. Houston is South-east Texas.

We are the ONLY DCA corps in Central Texas. From what I remember, Frontier is DCA midwest/Central.

We are looking to draw members from Austin, San Antonio, Waco, and surrounding areas.

I hope I've answered your questions.

Yes, I See your point.

But, must say BOTH, Austin and Denton are both on I 35. With Frontier To your North.

Then Gulf Coast Sound, on I 45, South and East of you in Houston area,

Maybe that other group (The Force) trying to get going in Fort Worth/Arlington. Now add in Prairie Sound In KC area, and Masquarade in Baton Rouge, LA and over to High Country Brass in Denver. Sure looks like TEXAS is leading the way to a "DCA South West" .

What most non Texans do not understand is the size of our state. As an example - it's faster for me to drive from my home outside of Dallas to Chicago than for me to drive to El Paso - which is still within my home state!

We may be in the same state, but Frontier is roughly a 4 hour drive away from Austin Stars and Gulf Coast Sound. While we do share many attributes and traits as Texans, the three geographic areas represented in DCA are very unique and distinct.

Good luck to our friends in Austin - We enjoyed having you around last year - here's hoping you exceed your goals and show the rest of the country what we saw last year!

Thanks Scott! Yes, TEXAS is an extremely large state, and each region has its own identity, but everyone here is Texan first!

Anyway, I just wanted to pass on this blurb about Last Year's Austin Stars that I just found. This is from an article about the Douglassville (Atlanta) DCA show last year. Written by Cozy Baker, the article appears here: http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/content/view/3715/39/

My first viewing of the Austin Stars made me want to jump into their line. Full of talent, but not full of population, the gang from Sixth Street can melt the moulding in the Austin capitol dome. Stir in some Phantom experience, a 1996 Blue Devils ring bearer and a plethora of other corps vets, and it’s no wonder the Indian Blankets bloom brighter near Austin.

Borrowing Alan Farnsworth and the Vic Kulinski, Sr. memorial trophy-winning Gulf Coast Sound Honor Guard, the Austin Stars did just fine, thank you, with nine horns, a superb kit drummer and five color guard. Marching a drill that covered the turf, they needed to tromp with 10 star props arced backfield, the talent level of the horn line and the drum set percolator was astounding.

A line of nine exposes itself like an armadillo in the headlights, but these Comanche cats took over the cotton fields. Their opener made me compare ‘em to Superman recruited into the Texas Rangers. Rather than playing tricky rhythms repeating on the same note, these stellar musicians finger a variety of valves which produced -- melody. My heart soared when I heard a song I played in corps as a kid, “There’s No Business Like Show Business” is what the Austin Stars give us!

Celestial soloists included Blake Waller, sop, Phantom ‘99, ‘01 vet, and Rob Johnson, mellophone. Bless the contra for laying the foundation for a pumping medley of diddies. The color guard did a superb job covering the range from Plano to Lubbock. After their Douglasville display, the Austin Stars rode like the Pony Express with 18-mile stops to change quarter horses. They were missed in Alpharetta.

Come be a part of the 2009 Austin Stars as we look to take Rochester by storm!

Edited by StarsRecruiter

Update! Everything is pretty close to finalized now. More information to follow this week. Please visit the Austin Stars website at http://austinstars.org if you have additional questions!

The Austin Stars Drum & Bugle Corps is happy to announce the rehearsal schedule for the first half of our 2009 season.

Our first rehearsal is Saturday, December 13th, from Noon to 4pm. Directly following the rehearsal, we'll have a Meet & Greet. Locations for both are still TBD, but put it on your calendar now!

What do you bring, you ask? Here's a list for each section:

* Brass - bring your instrument

* Percussion - bring sticks and practice pads

* Guard - no equipment for this camp - flags will be provided

* All - wear loose-fitting comfortable clothes - we'll be stretching and learning our warmup exercises

We will also be passing out Member Handbooks, which will include contract, fee schedule, and the rehearsal schedule. Schedules are also available on the Austin Stars website on the Corps Calendar: check it frequently for upcoming events and deadlines.

Edited by StarsRecruiter