Tuba/contra mouthpieces

Old School Contra Guy

I'm thinking about getting back in the saddle after a long layoff. I had an early Hellberg that got stollen. I have a Bach 24. Should I try to find another Hellberg ? We're talking All-age corps.

Thanks

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are going to get a bunch of replies from everybody telling you about THEIR preferred piece. But they don't have your face.

Use the 24. After about 6 months of regular practice, your chops should be in good enough shape that you might want to shop for something a bit bigger. And you'll have had the chance to try out some other pieces.

Which Helleberg did you have? 7B? II? STD? 120S? ???

If you like it and have used it for ages, stick with it. Just make sure you replace it with the model that matches your lost one. I like my G&W Alan Baer. And my G&W Caver is nice too. I didn't care much for the Helleberg STD, too narrow of an inner diameter for my face. And not normally playing Tuba/Contra it was already hard enough to try and play low. If I buy another piece it'll probably be a PT-88.

Yeah, I'd stick with the Helleberg. I've used a PT-88 equivalent, and 24s, but (To egg on the poster about posting about preference) the helleberg is the best for all around playing.

But, as stated before, it is your face that likes the mouthpiece, not our preference.

Which Helleberg did you have? 7B? II? STD? 120S? ???

If memory serves me, it was a 7B. It's been ages. Thanks for the concept of the face.

Opinions do matter. Money does also.

Thanks

I'm thinking about getting back in the saddle after a long layoff. I had an early Hellberg that got stollen. I have a Bach 24. Should I try to find another Hellberg ? We're talking All-age corps.

Thanks

Regarding getting back in the saddle, DO IT! I did last year and it has made a tremendous improvement in my life. Wherever The Great Midwest is, there is probably an all-age corps somewhere near you, and I'm sure you'll be made welcome.

Regarding the mouthpiece, i played a 24AW through high-school, junior corps and college. I've recently added a Bach 18 MegaTone and, for cold-weather parades, a Kelly Hellberg. I like the MegaTone tremendously. Best wishes,

Robert Kirby

Intersting converation.

I'm thinking of fillig in until we get some real Contra Players. We will be losing our current player to the Baritone section due to medical reasons and I'm thinking of giving it a try.

I'll probably experiment with Kelly moutpieces as they are cheaper and then get a metal mouthpiece once I figure out which mouthpiece size I like the best.

We currently have a Bach 24AW in our supply of mouhpieces. Is that a good starting point?

I'm thinking of filling in until we get some real Contra Players. We currently have a Bach 24AW in our supply of mouhpieces. Is that a good starting point?

Again, go with what ya got and shop later when you get some contra chops together.

Don't take a forceful approach. Playing an octave lower means using only half the amount of air pressure.

DO drop your jaw a bit more, you'll need to buzz with a larger aperture. The great tuba teacher Bill Bell used to have his students practice with wine bottle corks clamped between their molars. [Of course, ol' Bill also greatly enjoyed emptying the wine bottles.]

Again, go with what ya got and shop later when you get some contra chops together.

Don't take a forceful approach. Playing an octave lower means using only half the amount of air pressure.

DO drop your jaw a bit more, you'll need to buzz with a larger aperture. The great tuba teacher Bill Bell used to have his students practice with wine bottle corks clamped between their molars. [Of course, ol' Bill also greatly enjoyed emptying the wine bottles.]

The 24 is not going to be that much smaller, but will "feel" different. The Helleburg 7B will feel and be smaller than the standard. Use what you have and if you still feel for a change, get a Helleburg, after a few months of playing. I had never heard of the cork thing, but then again my teachers would have studied under Bill Bell or Jacobs.

I still have my gold Helleburg that took me all through corps and college. My PT 12 would not fit into the contra receivers and had the oversized shank or Euro shank.

Welcome back to the "DarK Side"! :lol:

I would also say to continue to play what you are comfortable with. I personally still play the Bach 24AW that I've had for 30 years.