Memphis Sound 2009 Production

Press Release from Memphis Sound:

The 2009 edition of Memphis Sound is proud to bring you their production “Celebrations…Rebirth of a

Planet.”

As we continue to struggle in our day to day lives, we find that in each new day, we have things to

celebrate with the human nature of making life more successful each day. As we continue to research

new forms of energy, new medical breakthroughs, how to feed the hungry, how to recycle, how to

replant and reenergize the planet, we celebrate a planet that begins to find a new life in itself and its

inhabitants.

More information on the production and camps can be found on the Memphis Sound website: www.memphisdrumcorps.org

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey, did you guys ever think about doing something a little less esoteric and more on the entertainment side which has made Memphis a strong force within the ranks of the once Div. 2/3 and now Open class??? Seems to me with Open Class struggling to gain audiences, more entertainment and less far-fetched themes would be the way to go to attract new members and audiences, IMO.

This sounds like a very interesting show. I can't wait to hear it and hear about how Mempho's season is going when it starts up.

hey, did you guys ever think about doing something a little less esoteric and more on the entertainment side which has made Memphis a strong force within the ranks of the once Div. 2/3 and now Open class??? Seems to me with Open Class struggling to gain audiences, more entertainment and less far-fetched themes would be the way to go to attract new members and audiences, IMO.

Yeah, you're so right, the design team definitely didn't take entertainment into consideration when they were picking out the show, because everyone loves a nice boring production (all sarcasm). You're deciding now that no matter what they do with that concept, it definitely won't be a good listen and a good watch that makes the crowd go, "Wow, where did they come from?" Do you want them to play jazz? Is that what you think will get larger crowds? Maybe jazz will save Open Class? High notes are entertaining, right? (once again, all sarcasm) I wouldn't place any blame or criticism on any corps who is trying to put together a show that they can succeed with. I think Open Class will get more fans if the level of excellence and achievement continues to grow. Designs keep "success" in mind when they pick out a show. If you want to place any blame on corps who should have thought more about the well being of Open Class before themselves, maybe Surf and Academy should have stayed in Open Class? There are several solutions to your question. None of them are necessarily the right answer.

Back on topic, I can't wait to see/hear some clips of this program. Those music titles on the website do not sound familiar to me but its always great to get music in a show that corps, over the years, have not beaten to death.

I love Appalachian Morning, always been one of my favorite drum corps tunes. I am actually pretty excited about the show. It's hummable, exciting, challenging, and everything that is needed to make this show rock

I love Appalachian Morning, always been one of my favorite drum corps tunes. I am actually pretty excited about the show. It's hummable, exciting, challenging, and everything that is needed to make this show rock

Hey I just figured out today the new director at MS is the "Chris Green". :tongue:

Congrats on the new gig man. You have been fighting the good fight for a long time. I think they made a good choice. Are you still going to be hands on at Frontier when time allows?

Mike

Sunguard, In my opinion, you couldn't be any more on the mark. People get so worried about scoring points, they forget that people are actually paying money to be entertained... or not bothering to come.

Esoteric? Really? Obviously you are not aware of the tunes chosen. Maybe you should take a listen before making comments like that. The music was chosen for its entertainment value. Maybe you don't know that you actually know some of the music that was chosen.

Appalachian Morning has actually been presented on the field already by Glassmen, Crossmen, Mandarins, Spirit from JSU, San Francisco Renegades, and CorpsVets. I don't think any of their shows would have been considered "esoteric."

If you want too criticize the Memphis Sound organization...please do it another way. As we see corps folding on a regular basis...all of us should be supporting any corps that is attempting too make sure that their members have an educational and supportive program to be a part of. With such a high return rate of veterans from last season....obviously Memphis is doing something right.

Memphis Sound, where I recieved most of my first drum corps experiences. Sounds like an awesome show concept, can't wait to see what's in store, get it MEMPHO!

What I was speaking of Mr. Dallas, was the show concept is esoteric and not straight ahead. Why can't anyone just say they are going to play something without all the other meanings behind it. Tell us you are playing Appalachian Spring and let the audience decide what the concept is without the long winded show synopsis behind it.

What I was speaking of Mr. Dallas, was the show concept is esoteric and not straight ahead. Why can't anyone just say they are going to play something without all the other meanings behind it. Tell us you are playing Appalachian Spring and let the audience decide what the concept is without the long winded show synopsis behind it.

Then they would have to explain to all of the fans who enjoy the "other meaning" concept stuff why they didnt provide a long winded show synopsis.

Not a well thought out question, Mr. Sun. Sadly, there's more than one audience a corps has to think about now. Can't please all the fans...

Memphis can please this one though!

Bring it home Mempho! :oD