Jyri

Answered, thanks.

Edited by Jyri

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure what you think a Bill of Rights would do for you. You have a contract dispute. Contact a lawyer.

I didnt want to have to resort to that. I assumed DCI had some protocol, like 'should they kick you out you dont owe them'.

If bringing in legal action is what has to be done, thats what has to be done.

Answered, thanks

Edited by Jyri

wait... when did you get cut? winter or mid-tour?

if winter -- they have some wires crossed and something is terribly wrong.

if mid-tour -- you may have agreed to this. check your member contract.

either way, collection agencies are built to scare. they can't contact your parents and they can't garnish your wages without a judgment, and they can't get a judgment unless you've been served and the matter has gone to trial. in fact, if you send them a letter asking them not to call you, they are bound by federal law to stop calling or else you can recover $1,000 PER CALL.

DCI has nothing to do with this... it is all about the contract you signed with the corps.

a lawyer would be best. are you in school? talk to your legal services people.

(pesky disclaimer: i am A lawyer, but i am not YOUR lawyer. i am not licensed in your state, so my advice IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE. contact an attorney in your state, ok?)

Drumcorps are weak in general. If you feel you have a case, threaten to sue for a substantial amount. Then do it. They will fold. But, without knowing the particulars this sounds shady to me, I am sure they wouldn't chase you for money if they felt they weren't owed. Did they kick you out for not following rules or doing something wrong? Did you pay anything at all? Did you promise to pay and not follow through? Did you break something or cause them financial stress? Time to examine your case and follow through with what you think is the right thing to do.

all the info should be in your original contract...these contracts are set up to protect both the corps and the members. it should say based on when you withdraw (or are cut as in this case) your fee responsibility would be XXXX. read carefully for this and then go from there...if you don't have a copy of your original contract, well that's a problem, but the corps (assuming based on your post and your signature that your talking about VK) should have a copy.

you will probably need to get a lawyer involved because most corps will not let you audition (or they'll let you audition, but won't accept you) if you have outstanding fees to another corps, so you're gonna want to get this settled now!

Drumcorps are weak in general. If you feel you have a case, threaten to sue for a substantial amount. Then do it. They will fold. But, without knowing the particulars this sounds shady to me, I am sure they wouldn't chase you for money if they felt they weren't owed. Did they kick you out for not following rules or doing something wrong? Did you pay anything at all? Did you promise to pay and not follow through? Did you break something or cause them financial stress? Time to examine your case and follow through with what you think is the right thing to do.

I did not damage anything. I did pay a fifth of the tour fees. I did do fund raising. The corps director had told me that she could secure me further sponsorship and allowed me to tour. I did not violate any of the corps conduct rules. I will admit, coming from World class to Open, I was a arrogant, and disappointed at how lax things were. I was that annoying guy who would say 'hey lets add a mile to breathing block'. Yes I was that straight laced guy who didnt 'kick back' with the staff. As far as performance and conduct though, I did what I was supposed to do, as I was told to do it to the best of my abilities.

I do not want to kill the corps. I do not see it as reasonable to demand $2K for 18 days. The experience was NOT worth $100+ a day. Very honestly, I would not recommend the corps to others, and am very sad it has such a lofty namesake and alumni following. I would rather not bring up the reasons why because i do not feel i could enumerate them without seeming to attack the organization.

I'll take the collection info into account, thank for it!

i thought DCI had a bit more say. I mean, if they could turn an acoustic performing art into a synth pop sport, what cant they do?! Apparently intervene corps /member issues. Sigh. Thats ok.

Yes, I am in school, Yes I will talk to the legal service, and No I will not take your advice whitedawn as Legal advice.

edited cuz- my Q's answered.

Edited by Jyri