Sad News

Hi Everyone,

I am saddened to inform you that Chet Zabek passed away Saturday evening at Glens Falls Hospital, Glens Falls, NY. For those of you unaware of Chet's illness; he had been diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma 9 years ago. He had overcome it until this past year and had been working with doctors in hopes of putting it in remission once again. However, the fight was too much and he was overcome by complications. As many of you know, he was one of my closest friends. I first met Chet when we marched together in the Interstatesmen Drum and Bugle Corps. When I started Avant Garde, Chet was there to help me; he was on staff as drum instructor, among many other duties. He is survived by his wife, Sue and 3 adopted children. Funeral arrangements are not yet complete. I believe the services will be handled by Densmore Funeral Home, 7 Sherman Ave, Corinth, NY 12822, (518) 654-9285. Condolences can be sent to: The Zabek Family, 18 Adirondack Court, Porter Corners, NY 12859-1728. Please pass this on to anyone I may have missed. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Jeff Perkins

Hey old friend... sorry to hear about Chet...

pass along my condolences to the I'men/Avante Garde family... as well as Chet's immediate family.

You keep well yourself...

Our prayers and thoughts go out to the Zabec family

J

The Excelsior Family would like to express our deepest sympathies to the lost of one of our own.

Chet Zabek was a major part of my DCI career. He drove me as a tenor player with the Volunteers Drum Bugle Corps and I credit him for the drive and determination I have today as an adult.

Chet came on board with the Excelsior last season and in true Chet form brought our drum line to light. I was privileged

to have an opportunity to come back together with Chet and my former Director of the Avant Garde Mr. Jeff Perkins this past season. It was great to have an opportunity to know Chet as an adult and to know the kind of person he really was. He, with a firm hand and the ability to be diplomatic charmed our drumline. I am with great anxiety and the wonderful new additions to our 2009 drumline, looking forward to putting Chet's Chart to Robin Hood on the field.

We dedicate this 2009 season to our dear mentor and my friend ~ Mr Chet Zabek

With our deepest sympathies

Donel R. Mysliwiec ~ Director

and the members of the Excelsior Drum & Bugle Corps

It seems that time goes by so quick you don't have the time to stop and remember your past and the friends you have made over the years. I haven't seen chet for years, but have fond memories of him and all of us in drum corps circuit. going to the swing after practice and the long talks around the fire. Life is short, pick up the phone or email an old firend just to say hi! Have a reunion once in awhile talk about the days of Drum Corps, don't let them go, they belong to you. Chet you will be missed my friend.

Steve Benack

Sorry to hear about Chet...May he rest in peace..