REMO's tiny little TSS snare drums: heard one?

Jim Nevermann

Anyone know where to BUY these things??? Good grief-I called Remo and they don't know anything about them either...

I don't recall if there's an actual difference between the tenor/snare TSS pad, other than if the snare is still attached to it or not. I'm fairly sure that the pads over the center marimba were still snare equipped. Also in that pit, there's two more TSS pads mounted off the side of the the marimbas to both sides of the center. The two players start slamming chain down onto them in the feel change of the opener. Those I'm pretty sure we had taken the snares out of, not that it helps with what you're trying to figure out, unless you plan to use chains in your endeavors too. :thumbdown:

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They mount where a "gock/spock" drum would normally go if one were to make a quint set from this quad set http://www.remo.com/images/why_remo/tss.jpg

These little shell-less snares range in diameter from 6" to 14", yet are no deeper than the equally shell-less tenors in Remo's TSS series. Specifically, I'm curious about the sound [regardless of projection] for the 6" and 8" diameter snares. Their under-the-head snares are available in "fan" [for the 6" size only] and "strip" configurations: the latter of which would sound more like a conventional size & design snare assembly.

Have you heard/played on one?

I just hate to steal REMO's thunder and I'm sure it's a very cool effect, but just have a listen to Star in 1989...I made the 10" tenor gok-snares that they used !

Rick Rogers, Jr.

I just hate to steal REMO's thunder and I'm sure it's a very cool effect, but just have a listen to Star in 1989...I made the 10" tenor gok-snares that they used !

Rick Rogers, Jr.

Rick, were those the same ones they used in '88? I used those drums in the DCM All-Star Parade after the '88 season. Those drums were freakin' heavy! I think they had metal snares taped to the underside of the head, correct? They sounded really cool.

Rick, were those the same ones they used in '88? I used those drums in the DCM All-Star Parade after the '88 season. Those drums were freakin' heavy! I think they had metal snares taped to the underside of the head, correct? They sounded really cool.

I think those were the same ones ! It could have been spring of '88 when I made these for Star.

Oh yeah...they were heavy ! They consisted of a 1/4" thick fiberglass shell with my North style lug, and I used a simple Japanese style throw-off and buttplate with a set of standard 20 strand snares that were cut down to accomodate the 10" diameter. They may have taken the strainer and bottom hoop off to cut down a little on the weight and taped the snares to the underside of the batter, but this is how I made them originally. I don't think they made a 10" bottom head yet, but if I remember correctly...we used a diplomat.

Anyone know where to BUY these things??? Good grief-I called Remo and they don't know anything about them either...

Umm...that I don't know. Maybe a dealer like Steve Weiss could set it up through Remo? It just isn't something they probably sell a lot of. The ones we used were left from the 05 season when they were snare mounted.

Huh? REMO themselves can't tell you, even though TSSs are cataloged in their website?

Go to REMO's site and find "Drum Talk". Then go to "Ask REMO" at the top of the list.

Huh? REMO themselves can't tell you, even though TSSs are cataloged in their website?

Go to REMO's site and find "Drum Talk". Then go to "Ask REMO" at the top of the list.

you should be able to order any remo product from any dealer that sells remo products. they may not have it in stock but they should be able to order one for you

Yeah... I thought that as well. I eventually ordered one through Steve Weiss. Remo has something called "shopatron" but the prices are really elevated. I ordered a 10 inch through Steve Weiss for $170.

Remo's website is really useless on this product. The customer service person couldn't answer my questions (weight, etc) and asked me to write an email expressing my frustrations-which I did.

you should be able to order any remo product from any dealer that sells remo products. they may not have it in stock but they should be able to order one for you