Stick Heights

jonnyboy

The new SCV packet uses (volume in inches of stick bead height) pp=1.5 p=3 mp=6 mf=9 f=12 and ff=vertical. When I marched the levels were lower ie mp=3 mf=6 etc. What levels do you all teach or have learned. Is the drumming community doing different things for indoor? Just curious.

I would have been able to look past those heights, but mp really jumps out at me. mp = 6''?? that's [depending on what the hornline is playing] audible from backfield?! I've learned a few:

1-3-6-9-12-15-some arm-lots of arm/float << seems to be the most common

also 1-4-7-10-vertical-arm << not as common but makes plenty of sense

In terms of indoor/outdoor I can't speak for the "community," but if its a percussion ensemble I wouldn't change dynamics. If there are horns I may consider backing off or some different implements.

Well, I think the stated heights for the SCV packet is as a general guideline for basic warmups which could change as the show music is written and gets placed on the field in terms of positioning to the front/back, who has the melody, etc. Going to INDOOR though, I'd try to emphasize 9" (mf for the SCV book) as the highest for a while (unless it's WGI and the gyms are better quality) That way you don't get the boomy overtones over the pit book depending on what the impacts and such are.

in my experience, the only real changes for indoor as far as dynamics are concerned is the arrangement (ie, making sure youre not drowning out the gym, arena, whatever, by going balls out with all sections, all the time), tuning, and sticks. all the heights (again, in my experience) are the same as they would be outdoors.

when i was taught, you had your basic 3, 6, 9, 12, and sometimes 15. then you had different zones on the snare, etc...

i think its all pretty universal though, when it really comes down to it.

Edited by 8sallday