Oldest Drum Corps Videos

The Americanos Alumni Association has found 8mms dated back from the middle 40s and is in the process of getting them converted in to digital form. Are there any others out there that might be older?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Americanos Alumni Association has found 8mms dated back from the middle 40s and is in the process of getting them converted in to digital form. Are there any others out there that might be older?

Man, did my radar go up. :whip: Is there sound and how long (in time) are the movies? And of course when will they be posted?

Oldest I know of is something I found by accident. Bought a DVD about the 75th Anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg. Mostly consists of newsreels shown at the movies and bunch of home movies sliced together. Somewhere in the mix are scenes of the parade held in town. Two or three corps are shown from the front but sadly, no sound.

Unfortunatly there is no sound. With in the next couple of weeks we are going to watch and try to identify some of these corps. We are going to try see what we can do about getting recordings. He have about 12 reels to go through it will be interesting trying to identify these corps.

Edited by dcf06

So with the lack of responses does that mean that the Americanos could possibly hold the oldest drum corps videos?

Edited by dcf06

This will definitely get better answers in our Historical forum.

The only things I know of that would be older would be films of parades from the 1920s and 1930s, especially the VFW and American Legion Nationals, as well as presidential inauguration parades.

I personally have a professionally filmed full color and full sound film of the Hormel Girls Drum & Bugle Corps (Austin, Minnesota) from 1948, doing their full field show. They were the first female senior corps to compete at nationals, and took 9th place, out of 35 corps that year. This may be the earliest color/sound movie of a full field show.

I have transferred a series of 16mm and 8mm films for DCW from the 30s and 40s. You folks really should have contacted me - I would have digitized your films for FREE, and being a DC fanatic, I would have done a more meticulous job than just about any professional transfer house.

But to answer your question, I have footage from the 1926 American Legion Championship. With sound. Am pursuing obtaining distribution rights.

How did you get sound from the 20's or did you add that yourself...

JP

I have transferred a series of 16mm and 8mm films for DCW from the 30s and 40s. You folks really should have contacted me - I would have digitized your films for FREE, and being a DC fanatic, I would have done a more meticulous job than just about any professional transfer house.

But to answer your question, I have footage from the 1926 American Legion Championship. With sound. Am pursuing obtaining distribution rights.

How did you get sound from the 20's or did you add that yourself...

JP

Al Jolson overdubbed it by singing all the parts.

Garry in Vegas

Hey scott I will keep that in mind we are trying to keep as low of a cost as possible. I have a board meeting monday so I will bring it up. I recently got the Appleton History musem to accept the Americanos as being part of the musem. The Americanos organization is 74 years old, so its only right for the history of the corps to be preserved. Thank you for your offer, I will bring that up.