Crossmen pick their Drum Majors

has he even marched a season? it didn't say in that press release...
he hasn't

Doesn't matter.

My personal view is that drum majors should come from within, although clearly some corps (including the 2008 champions?) do not have the same opinion.

Disagree. Especially not in a situation where he's working under/with someone that's been doing drum corps since 2002. As long as he keeps his ego in check and doesn't try to create a whole bunch of new traditions without consulting anyone, he should be fine.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meghan marched Baritone 06-07 and will be DM 08-09.

He was taught by Jarrett Lipman and I'm sure he has some knowledge of the Crossmen history.

History Night is June 13th at Spring training, so everyone will definitely know the history and traditions after they expereience that event.

Doesn't matter.

Disagree. Especially not in a situation where he's working under/with someone that's been doing drum corps since 2002. As long as he keeps his ego in check and doesn't try to create a whole bunch of new traditions without consulting anyone, he should be fine.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

What? Oh, don't mind me.

I agree with TSRTS

If they treat DM's as a corps member (like every other performer), then being a rookie isn't such a big deal. But if they treat it as a mini-corps director, the motivational talks (or other dealings that relate better to corps members through experience) just become a chore and without substance.

To va9590jm -- just because jarrett was DM and now on admin doesn't mean he/the corps members didn't experience the same thing

To va9590jm -- just because jarrett was DM and now on admin doesn't mean he/the corps members didn't experience the same thing

I was just stating what experience Jarrett had and all...I guess I also probably should've mentioned that I believe he was a rookie DM in 05, so if the other guy is a rookie, then there's someone that has had those same experiences as a rookie DM. I'm sure things'll be fine, just as TSRTS said, as long as he doesn't get a huge ego or anything.

I wish best of luck to the Crossmen in the coming season.

yea... I see this side of the argument too. I'm sure the rookie drum majors around DCI are very capable at doing their on field job from the podium. Mostly my view comes from things like... you can't yell at everyone to move faster during EPL if you are trying to figure out how to do it yourself =P. There can sometimes be the "why are you telling me what to do, you have never been in my position" thing, but that is the same way with any rookie... concentrating on making sure your house is in order, and the other things should fall into place.