Throw It Down

If the director hasn't already talked to the director of "America's Core" (the documentary of the Troopers 2007 return to competition), they should hook up. (Michael D. Gough) He posts here frequently. Film festivals have lots of rules, particularly about format. "America's Core" has been in one film festival and I'm assuming Gough is looking at other festival venues. We also got to see it in Cheyenne during the 50th Anniversary celebration.

Releasing straight to DVD is so much cheaper, and it creates the opportunity for an immediate revenue stream to try to recover costs. But I'd LOVE to see a theatrical release of both of these films, and I'd pay a premium price to see them in that format.

Great suggestion. I just forwarded your thoughts to John Maher. That would be sweet if they did some kindof combined theatrical release at this year's finals.

saw Throw It Down at the bluecoats november camp.

i enjoyed it on all levels- bluecoats fan, interested in the activity, never marched drum corps.

i will receive mine by monday. :]

Edited by whiteroses

Just got my copy today - ordered it last Tuesday, so very quick shipping. Plus, I got a couple postcards and a bag of popcorn in the package! Hopefully, I'll have a chance to watch it this weekend, just the promos made me shiver, I can hardly wait for the full thing!

Got mine over the weekend and watched it - very well done. The cinemaphotography, the interviews, the editing... all top notch.

I'd recommend it to anyone who loves corps or anyone who wants to get a feel for what corps life is all about.

• 1 month later...

I got one and watched it today. Fantastic movie, as everyone has said, and I appreciate the deeper level of what I can only call artistry in the film -- tying together of the symbols (e.g. dreams) and also the presentation.

But my biggest (and probably only) complaint is that all the movie seems really brass-centric... the battery gets about a 3 1/2 minute segment, the colorguard the same or less, the pit gets one faceless guy bragging about his callouses, and the brass more or less gets the rest of the movie, especially as far as the characters go. I understand that showcasing each section equally is not the main point of the movie, which is why it's not a huge complaint from me, but it's very very slightly disappointing.

Still, :thumbup:

My uncle and his brother directed\produced this movie. It really came a long way since the beginning. These guys had over 80 hours of initial footage that had to be shortened down to about an hour and a half. The release was also delayed by a year because the original owner to the rights had been diagnosed with Brain cancer. Getting this movie complete has been a roller coaster ride, and I think all parties are happy with the outcome. I regret to say I haven't ordered the DVD yet, but my favorite part in the movie must be when somebody leaves a mellophone behind a truck, and well, we see what's left :P.

Edited by The Brass Guy

i thought the movie was great. it showed what drum corps members actualy go through. i was actually hoping that it would show in the lot stuff and the finals show. but oh well