Concerto for Horn and Orchestra

DrinkinOuttaCups

So, I decided to peruse the interwebs for some horn solos, and I happened to stumble upon a work I had never seen before, the work in question being "Concerto for Horn and Orchestra" by the legendary composer of Star Wars and Indiana Jones fame, John Williams. Needless to say, I'm interested in it. Now, I've heard that this piece is incredibly difficult, and I am by no means a great horn player (I am thinking about trying it out on mellophone, though). I know where I can find the sheet music, but before I buy it, I'd like to at least hear it.

This, of course, begs the question - does anybody know where I could find a recording of this work? I've searched Google and iTunes and my school's music library, but I can't seem to find any recordings of it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :tongue:

try contacting the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, since they premiered it, they might be able to point you in the right direction

check other music websites or music publisher websites. someone like JW Pepper might have it. I'd look on Rhapsody as well. Also, if you have access to Naxos, that could be another option. After looking at the music for Williams' trumpet concerto and not even bothering, I would imagine the horn concerto is in the same boat as far as difficulty goes.

Reduction for Horn and Piano available here.

to add to my original comment, I've done some research on this (myself wanting to hear it as well) and as far as I can tell it was NEVER recorded

Everyone is right. It has not yet been recorded.