Historic Drum Corps Treasures At My Local Thrift Shop

My college-age daughter and I decided to go check out the "treasures" at a local thrift shop this afternoon, and I actually found some old drum corps albums mixed in with the Lawrence Welk and Engelbert Humperdinck vinyls.

The first two Fleetwood albums ever released, The Princemen from 1958, and Off The Line with Reilly Raiders and Hawthorne Cabs (also from 1958) were two of the albums I found, along with volume one of the 1960 American Legion Nationals, with Hawthorne, St. Lucy's, Kewanee Black Knights and Boys of '76. Needless to say, at one dollar each I grabbed them. They were in excellent condition.

I then wondered how in the heck these records found their way to my town. Another album explained everything. One had the name Bob Hensel written on the cover. Bob was a one-time member of the old Schmidt/Hamm's Indians senior corps, and he was the head of the Minnesota American Legion field music contests. He lived the last 25 years of his life in my hometown. His relatives must have donated the records after he died a few years ago.

I know this is more of a senior corps topic, but since I hang around the historical junior board I thought I'd post it here. It shows that you never know what drum corps stuff you might run into in the most unlikely places.

By the way.......I passed on the Lawrence Welk and Engelbert Humperdinck.

My college-age daughter and I decided to go check out the "treasures" at a local thrift shop this afternoon, and I actually found some old drum corps albums mixed in with the Lawrence Welk and Engelbert Humperdinck vinyls.

The first two Fleetwood albums ever released, The Princemen from 1958, and Off The Line with Reilly Raiders and Hawthorne Cabs (also from 1958) were two of the albums I found, along with volume one of the 1960 American Legion Nationals, with Hawthorne, St. Lucy's, Kewanee Black Knights and Boys of '76. Needless to say, at one dollar each I grabbed them. They were in excellent condition.

I then wondered how in the heck these records found their way to my town. Another album explained everything. One had the name Bob Hensel written on the cover. Bob was a one-time member of the old Schmidt/Hamm's Indians senior corps, and he was the head of the Minnesota American Legion field music contests. He lived the last 25 years of his life in my hometown. His relatives must have donated the records after he died a few years ago.

I know this is more of a senior corps topic, but since I hang around the historical junior board I thought I'd post it here. It shows that you never know what drum corps stuff you might run into in the most unlikely places.

That happened to me too. About 15 years ago I went into the Salvation Army thrift store to rummage through the old LP's and came up with two, still in the shrink wrap, Canadian Nationals records fro 79. the cover was a collage of pictures of the various corps and needless to say I had to point out the one shot I was in to the cashier - who really couldn't have cared less.

Regads,

John

My brass band rehearses in a church basement. A cuppla months ago, they were stockpiling stuff for a rummage sale. So I rummaged.

Came up with the Somerset recording of Archie. [That's the Archer-Epler Musketeers of Upper Darby PA, for those readers who haven't taken Drum Corps History 101 yet.]

That Somerset theater recording is a real find. Many of us grew up listening to those performances and trying to play along to the LP.

It's great to come across the Fleetwood discs as well. They are collectors items in format, at least. Virtually all the Fleetwoods have been re-mastered for CD and are available at www.fleetwoodsounds.com

A good portion of the audio history of the activity, both junior and senior is contained therein. That catalog really is a treasure, as is the vinyl you found.

Suuuuuuurrrrrreeee, you did.

:tongue:

Garry in Vegas

There are a bunch of good stories that came out of the trip to The City to record that album at Bell Sound Studio. Notwithsanding the amount of time in recording and re-take after re-take.

About 17 yearsa ago my daughters' (3) elementary school band director called me with advice to go to the Downingtown Farmer's Market and head to one stall which traditionally had carried all kinds of recorded goodies in bins. She said she picked up a couple drum corps albums and said there were a bunch more. I was able to get there a day or two later and thought I found valhalla. Long story-short.........I picked up about 190 albums for 33 cents each. That brought my collection to 300.

J

My brass band rehearses in a church basement. A cuppla months ago, they were stockpiling stuff for a rummage sale. So I rummaged.

Came up with the Somerset recording of Archie. [That's the Archer-Epler Musketeers of Upper Darby PA, for those readers who haven't taken Drum Corps History 101 yet.]

:sumo:

Yeah sure you betcha -

Wunnerful, a wunnerful..A nice arrainge - ment boys!

Brian:

I suspect the only person who might have recordings nearly as old as yours might be Corky Whitlock or Robert Pilot.. :tongue:

I wish I had known Bob Hensel, I have heard about him from some of my fellow dinosaurs ( Lozar & Maki among others) I was NOT aware he marched with "Schmidt"..That's almost before MY time.

Where did you find those records BTW - ???

Pat

Pat,

I was surprised to see you posting here, I didn't know you could type.

Had my hands on a 1952 album of the Sleepy Eye Drum Corps last year I was able to rip down to mp3 actually sounds pretty good. It's about 28mb total get me your address I'll mail you a copy.

Stu

Edited by stuh