The feeling never leaves you

Kay

The best thing for drum corps for me, is when last year at Kingston when the flag went over the whole crowd gave us a standing ovation from that point to the end of the show. It felt so good. Another, when they announced us 3rd at finals, the crowd Booed at the judges so loud, it was great. That's what drum corps is all about right there. Forget the scores.

As a recent friend put it "The Smell of Diesel, Fresh Cut Grass, and Hot asphalt are all aphrodisiacs. I would throw in the coconut smell of sun block but it is all because of DC and it is as true for me today as it was 25 years ago. I guess that is why I decided to go march again after all these years.

Oh, man, the smells! It's so true; smell is the most evocative of the senses, and those smells take me back to sleeping in parking lots, eating mediocre food, running my ### off, and loving every minute of it. *sigh*

Of course, the sound of a bus door opening does it to me too.

Scranton...Labor Day weekend...2005...Adagio for Strings...big hit...watching incredible drum major's emotional face as we played through that awesome moment...hearing crowd's reaction during it and at the release...shaking like a leaf the whole time and realizing why I pushed myself so hard to get to that moment.

That sums it all up.

I wonder how many "moments" could be posted with just one quote that would be instantly recognizable to those involved like...

"I swear I didn't know pigeons didn't fly at night."

Here's a recent, but pretty classic one....

"How do you see this ending?"

Dan it is still going. Not only around the corps. But I have used it recently on the bus.

i always love seeing this story. and yes Dan, they really didnt know pigeons wouldnt fly at night