Cannonball trumpets.

Donny Drum Corps

I was directed recently to a website for Cannonball trumpets and the guy told me these are awesome instruments, Anyone know anything about these horns?

Donny

I'm not an expert by any means, but I have done some research into Cannonballs and done some comparisons. overall I believe them to be an outstanding horn for the money - very easy to play in all ranges, centers well, and a very nice tone quality. structurally well built too. On par with a Strad or Xeno, easily. My next horn purchase will be a Cannonball, no question.

the only odd negative I have heard so far has been from my local instrument shop - while they push the Cannonball Saxophones, they decline to do the same with the trumpets. they will order them, but tend to push the Yamahas. must be an incentive thing.....

I'm not an expert by any means, but I have done some research into Cannonballs and done some comparisons. overall I believe them to be an outstanding horn for the money - very easy to play in all ranges, centers well, and a very nice tone quality. structurally well built too. On par with a Strad or Xeno, easily. My next horn purchase will be a Cannonball, no question.

the only odd negative I have heard so far has been from my local instrument shop - while they push the Cannonball Saxophones, they decline to do the same with the trumpets. they will order them, but tend to push the Yamahas. must be an incentive thing.....

My wife plays alto saxophone and a few years ago was testing, to replace her ancient Martin sax. She played a Cannonball alto sax and it was great. She eventually went for a Selmer, but the Cannonball was a very close 2nd.

As for Yamaha trumpets, I own 2, a C trumpet and a Bb. Both professional models. I like the way they play, but both of them, are by far and away, the most fragile horns I have ever owned.

My wife plays alto saxophone and a few years ago was testing, to replace her ancient Martin sax. She played a Cannonball alto sax and it was great. She eventually went for a Selmer, but the Cannonball was a very close 2nd.

As for Yamaha trumpets, I own 2, a C trumpet and a Bb. Both professional models. I like the way they play, but both of them, are by far and away, the most fragile horns I have ever owned.

I got tuned in to the Cannonball instruments when we purchased an alto sax for my son. Long story, but he needed one for band when we moved here, we were late in the buying season and all the standard student models were gone, so had no choice but to buy a Cannonball. Best 'no choice' we ever had to do. he isn't the most technically proficient player, but he is the best sounding, most in tune and most consistent one. A lot of that is definitely him, but give props to the horn too - great mellow sound. the wife is the woodwind expert in the family, and she has already called dibs on that one when he is finished playing.

the trumpets have a very substantial feel to them - nothing fragile that I could see/feel.

I was directed recently to a website for Cannonball trumpets and the guy told me these are awesome instruments, Anyone know anything about these horns?

Donny

There are okay, more like a Strad clone. They unfortunetly are priced all over the place, depends on were you get it.The local store (Volkweins) had one and I tried it, but they soon wholesaled it out because it just sat there. When you get to decide between it and all the others you can try at a well equipped store, it didn't seem to fair well in comparison. I've been buying Weril's lately and they have been a bargain. I have a couple of their Bb's and the Studio model was a close comparison.The difference was about $600. The Gold plated Weril C I bought plays as well as my Strad C, but cost about half.The one I like and will probably get next is a Conn Vintage 1.When I die there's going to be one heck of an estate sale!

The info on the website makes it sound as though they anything but fragile. Supposedly they have a bigger bell size?

Advertised as good for all venues and playing purposes...jazz, legit, so on...

There are okay, more like a Strad clone. They unfortunetly are priced all over the place, depends on were you get it.The local store (Volkweins) had one and I tried it, but they soon wholesaled it out because it just sat there. When you get to decide between it and all the others you can try at a well equipped store, it didn't seem to fair well in comparison. I've been buying Weril's lately and they have been a bargain. I have a couple of their Bb's and the Studio model was a close comparison.The difference was about $600. The Gold plated Weril C I bought plays as well as my Strad C, but cost about half.The one I like and will probably get next is a Conn Vintage 1.When I die there's going to be one heck of an estate sale!

I know we're talking Cannonball trumpets here, but the Conn Vintage One flugelhorn is the nicest flugel I have ever played.

The info on the website makes it sound as though they anything but fragile. Supposedly they have a bigger bell size?

Advertised as good for all venues and playing purposes...jazz, legit, so on...

Roland Garceau and I played on them at NAMM a couple of years ago. We both liked the Cannonball very much. The dark colored version was very cool looking.

Like John and Marty, I have no knowledge of the Cannonball trumpet. But I bought an alto sax for my daughter some years ago. She had tried several instruments, and save for a silver-plated and very expensive Yanagisawa, the Cannonball was the best. Considering the price, it was a really good buy.

We had problems with the plating on the horn, and Cannonball absolutely stood behind the horn. Great horn, great people. We ended up exchanging e-mails with Sheryl Laukat, one of the owners. Try doing that with Mr. Conn.

The Big Bell concept is something they first introduced in their saxes. Worked fine there.

The only negatives I’ve heard are they are somewhat fragile. That is not our experience. The horn held up through five years of middle and high school, including a heavy jazz band schedule (but not marching band), and is still sounding good today. However, it does not get used much, as my darling daughter is now playing bassoon.

And a few people didn’t like how they sounded. But, from my experience, the production of sound on a sax is heavily dependent on the player, mouthpiece, and reed. Some people fall in love with instruments others positively abhor.

I would contact them and arrange for a tryout.

Never heard of Cannonball, but those saxes look SWEET.

Anyone happen to know the prices on these things? I'd expect it to be pricey.