Troopers Poster

I have been involved the past couple years with the Troopers, designing various materials for them including the show poster the past two years. As an alum of the Troopers, it is a real treat to be able to give back to the corps. Our goal is to take the upward momentum that is taking place on the field and move it into every aspect of how the corps is presented. The work still continues, but I must say that this is an organization that is clearly moving in the right direction.

The reason for this thread is that I wanted to post a little higher resolution version here, and then provide a link for an even higher resolution one.

I hope you all like it. Not sure if they plan on printing a large version this year or not. Honestly, I don't know how sales of the "Iron Horse Express" poster went last summer. From a marketing standpoint, corps can branch out and design products like a poster, and while people may like it--if they don't buy it, then that product line dies. I'm not sure if posters will ever take off no matter how well they're designed.

Expect a great show from the Troopers this year!

Click here for HIGH resolution poster.

westernsidestorysmall.jpg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posters are something that I've wanted from drum corps for a long time, and it's a merchandising opportunity that many corps still aren't taking advantage of. Show posters like this one for the Troopers are great, and remind me of the posters you would see for an upcoming movie. Another idea for posters would be of a particularly memorable or iconic drill set, or an action on the field. Who wouldn't want a full-size poster of the moment when Will Pitts was speared last year? Or rotate the poster 90 degrees, and Madison could put out a poster of a perfect company front, or The Cadets of a perfect Z-Pull in action. DCI should jump on this, too. I know I would buy a poster just of all the finalists corps on the field for retreat. Considering that amateurs take these same pictures all the time, the costs to produce these products has to be rather small. And I would imagine that demand would be pretty huge, especially in a youth activity - where current or hopeful marchers can display the posters in their rooms or dorms - and also in an activity that is so driven by nostalgia. A well-done poster can be the ultimate memorabilia.

I have been involved the past couple years with the Troopers, designing various materials for them including the show poster the past two years. As an alum of the Troopers, it is a real treat to be able to give back to the corps. Our goal is to take the upward momentum that is taking place on the field and move it into every aspect of how the corps is presented. The work still continues, but I must say that this is an organization that is clearly moving in the right direction.

The reason for this thread is that I wanted to post a little higher resolution version here, and then provide a link for an even higher resolution one.

I hope you all like it. Not sure if they plan on printing a large version this year or not. Honestly, I don't know how sales of the "Iron Horse Express" poster went last summer. From a marketing standpoint, corps can branch out and design products like a poster, and while people may like it--if they don't buy it, then that product line dies. I'm not sure if posters will ever take off no matter how well they're designed.

Expect a great show from the Troopers this year!

Click here for HIGH resolution poster.

westernsidestorysmall.jpg

:rolleyes::thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

As I said in the show announcement thread, this poster puts to shame some of the designs I've seen from top 12 corps over the years. Every corps -- regardless of class or budget-level -- can produce professional-grade images for either promotion or merchandising at next to nothing (if not nothing). And by "professional-grade" I don't mean a crappy, Photoshop filtered images that took 5 minutes to make (like a certain top 3 corps recently released).

To put it simply, corps directors/administrations should take promotion as seriously as their actual show designs.

That said, great job on the poster.

Edited by ShutUpAndPlayYerGuitar

I withhold my :rolleyes: 's until after the period is removed.

Is the period incorrect? or is it a stylistic preference? I most certainly want this to be accurate.

As for posters being the perfect memorabilia...that is only the case if people buy them.

What price point do you think a poster like this one should be at? The size is 24 inches wide by 36 inches tall. Also, do you think that is too big? What size would you suggest?

As for the little bowing faces, I think you should take a few of them back and save them for when you see the Troopers this year. They're the ones who deserve it. I just push pixels around on my computer and make paper look fancy.

Posters are something that I've wanted from drum corps for a long time, and it's a merchandising opportunity that many corps still aren't taking advantage of. Show posters like this one for the Troopers are great, and remind me of the posters you would see for an upcoming movie. Another idea for posters would be of a particularly memorable or iconic drill set, or an action on the field. Who wouldn't want a full-size poster of the moment when Will Pitts was speared last year? Or rotate the poster 90 degrees, and Madison could put out a poster of a perfect company front, or The Cadets of a perfect Z-Pull in action. DCI should jump on this, too. I know I would buy a poster just of all the finalists corps on the field for retreat. Considering that amateurs take these same pictures all the time, the costs to produce these products has to be rather small. And I would imagine that demand would be pretty huge, especially in a youth activity - where current or hopeful marchers can display the posters in their rooms or dorms - and also in an activity that is so driven by nostalgia. A well-done poster can be the ultimate memorabilia.

The SCV 2004 "Attraction" poster was a big seller. My roommate still has one hanging up on his wall.

Does anyone know of other examples? What would be the estimated cost to mass-produce a movie-sized poster?

Is the period incorrect? or is it a stylistic preference? I most certainly want this to be accurate.

As for posters being the perfect memorabilia...that is only the case if people buy them.

What price point do you think a poster like this one should be at? The size is 24 inches wide by 36 inches tall. Also, do you think that is too big? What size would you suggest?

As for the little bowing faces, I think you should take a few of them back and save them for when you see the Troopers this year. They're the ones who deserve it. I just push pixels around on my computer and make paper look fancy.

I'd lose the period. It doesn't add anything stylistically.

As for size, 20x30 is a pretty traditional size for the posters you see in Wal Mart or Spencers.

As to price, a similar poster for a broadway show, printed on heavy gloss paper, is probably gonna run ~$15-$20 range,