thank you DCI

huge Kudos to DCI for recognizing the passing of Doc Sebastianelli...

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=d...55-d5b091aff997

very cool. nice to see both sides acknowledging the other more

Both sides? What are they, the Hatfields and the McCoys? :thumbup::smile::thumbup:

In all seriousness, it's a class move, and a nod to the fact that there are some folks at DCI who care about the legacy of the great drum corps activity, regardless of the flag flying overhead.

for years the two didnt acknowledge the other unless they had to. Now, thats changing, and thats good for drum corps

for years the two didnt acknowledge the other unless they had to. Now, thats changing, and thats good for drum corps

Hear, hear. :smile:

there is a misconception...

DCI and DCA are apples and oranges - viva la difference has always been my moto while I love both and have contributed to both in one way or another...

The misconception: That some sort of rivalry exists or that they pretty much ignore one another.

This is not true. There are too many common bonds for this to happen.

But from day one, no before day one as the seeds for DCI were planted in 1969, 70 and 71 (Combine etc.), there has been open lines of communications. DCI benefited from the experience of DCA and clearly contacted and took advice from several of the DCA fathers - not the least of which was Vince Bruni.

I'm reminded of the calls from Don Pesceone to Vince Bruni that I was a party to and even his use of Vince's Thousand Islands Camp after championships..

For many years now, there has been a sponsorship agreement between the two organizations that has been healthy and productive... keeping each others names present at both championships, alone, reminds us all that while we have many different challenges and a completely different approach (mostly touring vs non-touring) - it is in the end - The Drum Corps Activity (as a whole) that is important. The apple and the orange can both be sweet to partake of... even if they are radically different flavors... their sweet fruit is appreciated by all...

Well stated, Tom!

I've worked directly with BOTH organizations over the years. I never saw evidence that one organization's management didn't respect and appreciate the other. From what I saw, this has always been about two, somewhat different organizations, NOT two competing organizations.

Nice to hear the names of Vince Bruni and Don Pesceone brought up once again. Add Gil Silva and Dan Acheson when describing the continuation of the relationship.

Never said there wasnt respect. it just seemed like one never talked about the other. the cross promotion we know see if awesome, and long overdue...you dont hear "drum corps is over when you're 21" anymore

Never said there wasnt respect. it just seemed like one never talked about the other. the cross promotion we know see if awesome, and long overdue...you dont hear "drum corps is over when you're 21" anymore

Agreed! :cool:

You're also not hearing that DCA are "a bunch of drunks in the parking lot" either.

I, for one, would like for there to be even more cooperation between the two circuits. I guess the question of whether or not this is possible is one of mutual respect. To Mr. Peashey's point from a few posts ago, it seems that the leadership of DCI and DCA are working together behind the scenes more than ever.

BUT, Do the youngsters appreciate the All-Age (formerly "Senior Corps") world, and can some of the stodgy old-timers "forgive" DCI for "ruining" drum corps? :cool: