Why do drum corps horns have to be silver plated?

ussglassman

I never understood the reason for Silver as the choice color of drum corps bugles. I know in the 2 valve era lots of corps had chromed horns, and I see a few chromed 3 valve G horns floating around once in a while. I've also seen a distinct few gold lacquered piston rotor horns, but never more than a fluke one at a time. Does anyone know if it is a requirement that all horns today must be silver? Seems kinda odd since silver costs so much more $ and would be much more difficult for kids to maintain on tour, than chrome or gold lacquer. Thanks~

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never understood the reason for Silver as the choice color of drum corps bugles. I know in the 2 valve era lots of corps had chromed horns, and I see a few chromed 3 valve G horns floating around once in a while. I've also seen a distinct few gold lacquered piston rotor horns, but never more than a fluke one at a time. Does anyone know if it is a requirement that all horns today must be silver? Seems kinda odd since silver costs so much more $ and would be much more difficult for kids to maintain on tour, than chrome or gold lacquer. Thanks~

It's not a requirement, they're just prettier.

• Like 1

:tongue:

I asked about that years ago when MBI started adding 3 valve G's to the line. From what I was told, the reason for the lack of chrome vs. silver is that the EPA had indicated that the process of chrome plating was more 'environmentally damaging' than silver or lacquer plating. I know that Kanstul would plate horns in chrome upon request, but the cost of getting the permits, etc. was pretty expensive..therfore making it prohibitive for people to do.

As far as lacquer, the aesthetics of silver or chrome under the lights and the brighter sound of those horns may have been a big factor as to why noby continued to make a regular habit of using that finish.

Anyone with a better reason...Bueller, Bueller ???

Pat

Personally - I liked the idea of being able to shine up the horn with Windex & a paper towel instead of silver polish and a cloth. I think chrome looked better under the lights!

Edited by goalieguy

They don't HAVE to be silver plated. IMO, when chrome plating became more expensive silver was probably a better alternative so that from a distance all the brass would look uniform. Back then corps rarely replaced a whole set of horns all at once. FWIW, there were a few corps that picked brass lacquer over chrome "back in the day". St. Andrew's Bridgemen and St. Raphael's (sp??) immediately come to mind.

They don't HAVE to be silver plated. IMO, when chrome plating became more expensive silver was probably a better alternative so that from a distance all the brass would look uniform. Back then corps rarely replaced a whole set of horns all at once. FWIW, there were a few corps that picked brass lacquer over chrome "back in the day". St. Andrew's Bridgemen and St. Raphael's (sp??) immediately come to mind.

And Archer-Epler too, BITD.

Ray

And silver plating is more durable than lacquering in the long run, as well as being easier to maintain.

:tongue:

Personally - I liked the idea of being able to shine up the horn with Windex & a paper towel instead of silver polish and a cloth. I think chrome looked better under the lights!

I agree. I always thought the "art deco" brilliance of chrome was a big part of the drum corps look in my day. The reason that I always heard for silver was that it had superior acoustical properties compared with chrome when it came to resonance of sound. This is not someting which I have ever personally appreciated, however.

1977 78 79 Colts ...brass laquer pb

I agree. I always thought the "art deco" brilliance of chrome was a big part of the drum corps look in my day. The reason that I always heard for silver was that it had superior acoustical properties compared with chrome when it came to resonance of sound. This is not someting which I have ever personally appreciated, however.

Having played on both chrome and silver I think, maybe it's just me, that the timbre, or color if you will, seems just a tad darker on the silver horn and slightly more brilliant on the chrome horn. Juast sayin....

The getting silver due to it being cheaper and close enough to chrome in color would get my vote. I liked the chrome horns better IMO. More durable and better projection. Although like the Bb's the silver plated horns were probably easier to resale and held their value better. That and lacquer back in the day was pretty shoddy. Just one warm bath away from being unlacquered. Plus lacquered horns are associated more with student horns than pro horns in certain circles. Plus in military circles silver is generally the higher rank to brass/gold. i.e. 2nd Lt. versus 1st Lt. Or Major versus Col.