Why do drum corps horns have to be silver plated?

ussglassman

I have a prototype of the BU-10 French Horn, with a fancy Velvet Knights logo hand-engraved on the bell.

The entire horn is finished in lacquerd bright nickel. (Before the bugles were in production at Olds, they did not have a chrome tank in the plating room.)

I had one of those Velvet Knights french horns. I bought it as junk from the Freelancers and got it playing again. I don't remember its fate, all I know is that it fell apart again and was probably trashed...:-(

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having played on both chrome and silver I think, maybe it's just me, that the timbre, or color if you will, seems just a tad darker on the silver horn and slightly more brilliant on the chrome horn. Juast sayin....

My ear will respectfully disagree with your ear on this one.

I think that silver offers (by far) the most "brilliant" sound.

I think brass lacquer offers a warmer sound and loved it when we used them with Bayonne in 78 - 84 - but some people did not like the sound as much - I'm interested in what people remember regarding that.

Chrome is for car bumpers. it is not a good medium for sound vibrations (as always - I'm expressing my opinion.)

If durability is the big concern, maybe concrete is available? Wears like crazy!!! You don't even have to use windex - just hose it off.

Edited by rayfallon

My ear will respectfully disagree with your ear on this one.

You both have been around this activity long enough to realize that people actually listen with their eyes.

(Especially when they are members of the judging community.)

Still check eBay from time to time but have only seen one Duratone Bari up for sale. :tongue:

Edit: They were great for daytime parades/shows as the sun did not reflect in your eyes. :thumbup:

Funny that you should say that. I was doing my regular trawl of eBay tonight and saw what they are calling an Olds Duraphone Bugle. Ain't coincidence a wonderful thing.

Robert

You both have been around this activity long enough to realize that people actually listen with their eyes.

(Especially when they are members of the judging community.)

I hear you, but I'm not sure I follow with respect to the affect of plating on sound.

I will respectuflly disagree with you concerning the judging community, almost all of whom are incredibly qualified and really really get what they're doing.

I don't think the exceptions are significant enough to deter me in this opinion.

Funny that you should say that. I was doing my regular trawl of eBay tonight and saw what they are calling an Olds Duraphone Bugle. Ain't coincidence a wonderful thing.

Robert

Thanks, first time I ever saw a DT sop.. Interesting that looks like all the tubing has been "frosted". Don't think that was done to the inner tubes of my Bari but my memory sucks. And I need to check my old pics but doubt if I have a good one that shows the tubing.

Currently we are buying used horns for a "beginner" corps, and all else being equal, I would choose a nickel plate to silver. The few silver horns we have purchased are VERY labor intensive compared to the nickel plated models. We are issuing these to 9 to 11 year old kids, and I have reservations about the silver plated horns getting the care and maintenance that the finish needs. Not only is the lack of polishing a problem, but the softer silver can very easily be damaged by the over zealous care of a young player.

Silver probably sounds best, and is fine for more experienced and dedicated players, but for durablility and ease of care, I will compromise where possible and buy nickel.

(edited for spelling)

Edited by j.morgus

Currently we are buying used horns for a "beginner" corps, and all else being equal, I would choose a nickel plate to silver. The few silver horns we have purchased are VERY labor intensive compared to the nickel plated models. We are issuing these to 9 to 11 year old kids, and I have reservations about the silver plated horns getting the care and maintenance that the finish needs. Not only is the lack of polishing a problem, but the softer silver can very easily be damaged by the over zealous care of a young player.

Silver probably sounds best, and is fine for more experienced and dedicated players, but for durablility and ease of care, I will compromise where possible and buy nickel.

(edited for spelling)

Yep, The Silver Horns are a lot more labor intensive. When one is shined up make sure it stays in the case when not being used. I'm not sure if its oxygen or light that tarnishes the finish but keeping the horn in the case seems to help retain the luster.

Yep, The Silver Horns are a lot more labor intensive. When one is shined up make sure it stays in the case when not being used. I'm not sure if its oxygen or light that tarnishes the finish but keeping the horn in the case seems to help retain the luster.

I wish my tuba was nickel or chrome plated. I dont have a case for it, and I'm embarrased to bring it to rehearsals with the inner tubing looking like someone pooped on it. But, the labor involved with cleaning it is a waste of time for anything but major performances. LOL Anyone know of a shop that deals in REPLATING?!?!

I wish my tuba was nickel or chrome plated. I dont have a case for it, and I'm embarrased to bring it to rehearsals with the inner tubing looking like someone pooped on it. But, the labor involved with cleaning it is a waste of time for anything but major performances. LOL Anyone know of a shop that deals in REPLATING?!?!

This might sound odd, I find polishing a horn to be relaxing...

To answer your question...usually any large music store such as woodwind brasswind (Inidana) and R.M Sides (Pennsylvania) will plate instruments.