Flugel Mouthpiece on Mellophone?

jdostie

Looking at mouthpieces express, I see the Yamaha mouthpiece for Mello has the same model as the mouthpiece for Flugel. Is it then safe to assume that any given flugel mouthpiece would be appropriate? Or am I misreading this? Also, there is something about different shank sizes for different horns/manufacturers. My trumpet mouthpiece fits in the DEG mellow. . .

So, to get to the point, can I use a CG Personal Flugel mouthpiece in a mellophone? (I don't have a flugel yet, so the only purpose of buying the mouthpiece [now] would be for mello, so I'd be wasting [or spending too soon] about $60 if it won't fit.

Looking at mouthpieces express, I see the Yamaha mouthpiece for Mello has the same model as the mouthpiece for Flugel. Is it then safe to assume that any given flugel mouthpiece would be appropriate? Or am I misreading this? Also, there is something about different shank sizes for different horns/manufacturers. My trumpet mouthpiece fits in the DEG mellow. . .

So, to get to the point, can I use a CG Personal Flugel mouthpiece in a mellophone? (I don't have a flugel yet, so the only purpose of buying the mouthpiece [now] would be for mello, so I'd be wasting [or spending too soon] about $60 if it won't fit.

I've used a lot of flugelhorn mouthpieces on mello through the years with success. It's not as necessary now with the number of mellophone mouthpiece configurations available, but the deep cups on the flugelhorn mouthpieces certainly work well with the horn, particular F mellos.

However, keep in mind that there are lots of different tapers available for flugelhorn. The shanks used on the mouthpiece are smaller than trumpet shanks and may not fit into the mellophone well. I've had to use plumber's tape to enlarge the shank enough to fit into mellophones before. So, there's going to be a lot of turbulence created at the mouthpiece gap (which is not a good thing, particularly on a mellophone).

Most manufacturers can prepare a their flugel cups on a trumpet shank. You should also consider the Curry TF series (which should fit your horn great). Karl Hammond also makes outstanding mello mouthpieces with deep cups and several diameters.

Let us know how the mouthpiece safari goes. There are a lot of folks who view this who are perpetually on this journey (including me!!).

I've used a lot of flugelhorn mouthpieces on mello through the years with success. It's not as necessary now with the number of mellophone mouthpiece configurations available, but the deep cups on the flugelhorn mouthpieces certainly work well with the horn, particular F mellos.

However, keep in mind that there are lots of different tapers available for flugelhorn. The shanks used on the mouthpiece are smaller than trumpet shanks and may not fit into the mellophone well. I've had to use plumber's tape to enlarge the shank enough to fit into mellophones before. So, there's going to be a lot of turbulence created at the mouthpiece gap (which is not a good thing, particularly on a mellophone).

Most manufacturers can prepare a their flugel cups on a trumpet shank. You should also consider the Curry TF series (which should fit your horn great). Karl Hammond also makes outstanding mello mouthpieces with deep cups and several diameters.

Let us know how the mouthpiece safari goes. There are a lot of folks who view this who are perpetually on this journey (including me!!).

Thanks, the thing is that I am changing to CG Personal for trumpet, and thought - hey, maybe I should try to "match as closely . . ." I know there will be differences, but I am thinking rim size etc will be the same making the fell consistent. I'm playing on a G mello, and it has a Mello 6V with it, but I've been using my trumpet mouthpiece.

Thanks, the thing is that I am changing to CG Personal for trumpet, and thought - hey, maybe I should try to "match as closely . . ." I know there will be differences, but I am thinking rim size etc will be the same making the fell consistent. I'm playing on a G mello, and it has a Mello 6V with it, but I've been using my trumpet mouthpiece.

Copy that. I know they make a Claude Gordon flugelhorn mouthpiece. I haven't yet tried one.

Thanks for the info.

You should take a look at Schilke. I use to play a Shille 14a4a on my trumpet when playing lewd in jazz band then when I joined drumcorps and playing Mellophone back in the early 80'd my instructor talked me into getting a Schille 15 b both for my mello and trumpet. It has a wider bore and deeper cup producing a broader tone with more control. For around 50-55 bucks it's a very universal mouthpiece. Especelially ont he trumpet it gives that classic Harry James sound which is very cool for the trumpet. You need to work harder in the higher registers but with some isometric exercises it is worth it. Good luck.

Scooter gave you some very good advice. There are so many thoughts on what the mellophone should sound like and what mouthpiece should be used.

On my time playing mellophone I utilized several different horns and mouthpieces. I summed up my journey bellow...

When I started playing mellophone I was utilizing a Bach 3B (trumpet) mouthpiece on a Bach Mercedes mellophone. I eventually purchased a Bach 1105 (Yamaha 202) which I utilized a Bach 6BM mouthpiece with. The 1105 is a solid horn, but I was never completely satisfied with it (C bellow the staff was very flat, top line F had a very narrow slot, and it had a bright tone). The 6BM gave the horn a darker sound than the 3B. Eventually I was able to get my hands on a Conn mello 6. The mello 6 was a better match for the 1105. When Yamaha released the YMP-203 I was very interested in a play test and was able to arrange one through the local music store. The YMP-203 was shoulder and head above the YMP-202. It featured a 'mello-er' that was significantly darker than the 202 even while utilizing the Conn mello 6. Unfortunately, I did not have the means to sell the 1105 or funds to buy the 203. Skip a few years ahead into college. I was preparing a multi instrument audition for the marine d&bc (which is a whole other story). The YMP-204 was out and I was debating whether or not to upgrade to the 204 or buy a 203 off of a Yamaha corps. After doing some research online I came across Al's mellophone page and Middle Horn Leader. I decided to reach out to Scooter Pirtel and Al Perkins to request a 'pro-bono' consult. Both gentlemen were very helpful in assisting me in making an informed discussion. I ended up purchasing the 204. After more discussion with Al, I acquired a Wick 2 tenor horn mouthpiece. The tenor horn mouthpieces share the same cup and rim sizes as the traditional mellophone mouthpiece. The Wick really fattened up the tone of the 204. The mouthpiece is huge and took me a few weeks to adjust to it. Eventually I acquired a Blessing mello 5 mouthpiece. The Blessing 5 is a knock off of the Wick 5 tenor horn mouthpiece. To not ramble on to much I have been using the Blessing 5 ever since I got it. There are so many mouthpieces being marketed for the mellophone. I suggest trying as many as you can to see what you like (IYM, Curry TF, Blessing, Bach and Wick tenor horn pieces, etc...)

Some helpful references worth checking out:

http://mellocast.com/ episodes # 10, 19, 24, & 37

http://www.middlehornleader.com/Equipment%20Truck.htm

Good luck and keep us posted on your findings!!!

I play on a GR flugal mouthpiece on my mello (when I play it). I like the depth of the cup. I believe my shank (FL) is made for a trumpet reciever though.

• 3 weeks later...

I like playing on the Curry TF series (trumpet/flugel hybrid). The shank fits the mello and the sound is big and full.

Honestly you should look into getting a true mellophone mouthpiece. If you can get your hands on a Benge Mello 6 mouthpiece that would be the way to go. DEGs Mello 6V is almost as good and will get the job done. Just because a trumpet or flugel mouthpiece fits doesn't mean it should be put there :)

I agree - a DEG Mello6V will get it done for you - and cheaper than most other mouthpieces. I wish the new UKB/Conn/King/UMI/Whatever mouthpieces felt as good as those old Benge Mello 6 models!