Alternative drum "edge guard" material?

Jim Nevermann

You know: The black, sort of rubbery stripping ["U" in cross-section] that attaches to and protects the underside edge of tenor shells.

2nd Wind adult drumline has two sets of vintage Ludwig timp-toms --14", 16", 18"-- in excellent condition, which we've precisely table-sawed their bottom halves off of to reduce each set's weight [lightweight marching drums are one of my obsessions]. When these timp-toms are refinished to match all our other drums, they'll need new edge guard stripping. None of Ludwig's timp-toms [ours included] were furnished with such.

We can, of course, purchase a roll of edge stripping from any of the drum companies. However, I also want to see if any similar, non-drum company stripping is available: Price probably being the deciding factor. One of my neighbors, who's managed a car body shop for years, suggested the stripping used on the edges of fiberglass, pickup truck 'bed' covers.

What are your experiences, suggestions and sources for such alternate stripping?

Many thanks.

Lemme look into one of my suppliers...sometimes a similar rubber channel is used to trim the back sides of fencing masks....not sure how well it'd fit over a drum, tho...it may be too narrow.

it may be awhile, tho.....the supplier's in China....

Great supplier of trim for cars, boats and drums is www.trimlock.com. Try the first option "edge trim". Remember, drum companies just buy their stuff from a supplier anyway. You can also find trimlok on ebay, but the size needed for drum shells isn't always offered.

Funny story, I was buying mop/broom holders for years for my basses. They cost about $5 a set. A few years later Pearl Drums repackaged the exact same item for bass mallets, slapped their name on it and tripled the price.....capitalism.

Great supplier of trim for cars, boats and drums is www.trimlock.com. Try the first option "edge trim". Remember, drum companies just buy their stuff from a supplier anyway. You can also find trimlok on ebay, but the size needed for drum shells isn't always offered.

Funny story, I was buying mop/broom holders for years for my basses. They cost about $5 a set. A few years later Pearl Drums repackaged the exact same item for bass mallets, slapped their name on it and tripled the price.....capitalism.

Kinda gives a new meaning to "cleaning" the line...

make sure you know the thickness of the shell and purchase trimming accordingly, or else it will just fall off anyway.

Edited by big old drummer man