I Hope DCI Is Looking Into This...

What about the broadcast in IMAX? I just saw my first IMAX flick and was blown away by the picture and sound quality.

What about the broadcast in IMAX? I just saw my first IMAX flick and was blown away by the picture and sound quality.

IMAX would be great, but it is very expensive even for digital projection. DCI has already busted out of DVD, its time for them to move up to Blu-ray. However if you thought DVD's were expensive, be prepared to sell your car for DCI on Blu-ray.

I took the kids to watch Coraline in 3d.... and I have to say it was simply amazing. Much better than anything I have ever seen which includes several things at Disney

Having said that though.... I see no point in bringing this to DCI..... Blue Ray....yea we need that would love to have finals in HD

Coraline was AWESOME. Well, visually anyway, because of the animation and the 3D. Story wasn't that great, but loved the 3D and animation and the Michigan shout-outs!

As cool as it would be, it probably wouldn't be cost-effective to do DCI's DVDs in 3D.

The popularity of 3D films can be directly correlated with crashes in the economy:

1970's - 3D films are revived Stereovision develops new single 35mm format for 3D film and produces 36 movies. On the economic front, we suffer the oil crisis, stagflation of 12%, and unemployment of 9%.

1980's - IMAX starts creating non-fiction films in 3D, and new directors jump on the 3D bandwagon to create 3D movies for mainstream audiences. On the economic front, interest rates rise to almost 20%.

2000's - The 3D film rage strikes Hollywood once again, and the economy is in seriously bad shape.

The problem is that the IMAX aspect ratio is very close to 4x3 so in order to broadcast it you are going to have to crop a lot of your image (top and bottom) in order to fit on todays 16x9 monitors. However watching drum corps shot and projected in IMAX would be an amazing thing to see.

IMHO 3D shown on a calibrated projection system with D-Cinema servers would look amazing. 3D-DVD on your TV monitor at home...not so good.