BHOF I&E

Hat's off to all the spectacular performers yesterday who took part in the 3rd Annual North American I&E Championships sponsored by the BHOF ... a truly amazing day of competition, exhibition and socialization ... the setting was the Germania Schwaben Club in the heart of one of the Cradles of Drum Corps of the 60's, Bridgeport, CT.

From the opening strands of the Star Spangled Banner by BHOF member Ritchee Price to the all-hands-on-deck Basin Street Blues jam session led by the incomperable BHOFer Dave Negri, the fans were treated to sounds of legends of the past as well as stars of the future ... I'm not going to try any name every performer and their placement but, rather give you glimpses of what I saw unfold, from "The Pulpit", during the day ...

It's never easy to go on first in one of these shows but, Diana Dugan Stack (daughter of legenadry CT drum guy Jimmy Dugan Sr.) provided a sound performance of snare, amply supported by her Park City Pride brethren ... now that the ice was broken, fun and folly then proceeded during the first segment, dominated by the talents of the Park City Pride (whose Baritone Quartet, led by virtuoso John Donovan, brought the crowd to a stunned silence with their near perfection) and a spirited performance by one of the pioneer's in the Alumni Corps acivity, the CT Alumni, celebrating their 25th Anniversary (imagine that - an Alumni that's 25 years old!) ... mix in some drama as Claudia Furman (CT Alumni) played an emotional offering of Robrta Flack's Killing Me Softly (in memory of her fallen friend Bob "Flinstone" Cameron) and you have a opening segment that offered something for everyone.

Park City Pride (with BHOFers Art Hylwa and Cliff Richmond in the ranks) opened the second segment with a full corps preview of their 2009 show ... I have a special affinity to PCP as I marched with the majority of its members in Jr. corps and had the priviledge of teaching their drum line in 2004 ... led by "rookie" DM, BHOFer Frank Dorrite, they performed a fast-paced, toe-tapping, fun program ranging from Dixieland swing to a thunderous, horn accompanied Santana drum solo charted by Johnny Oddo ... after adusting the crowd's pacemakers, a bevy of I&E talent led up to the competition performances of two MCA Mini-Corps, the Golden Eagles and Capital Brass ... two different styles ... tons of talent ... and a prelude to what should be a wonderful mini-corps season ... GE's Spanish offerings were ... well ... packed with GE! ... BHOFer Frank Ponzo and his entire cast were at the top of their game ... CB's four-part show offering was highligted by their stirring rendition of Bohemien Rhapsody ... the final performer of this segment was the Holy Name/Garfield Cadets Alumni, led by BHOFers Jimmy D'Amico and Gene Moratta ... they were simply magnificent as they exemplified their proud musical tradition with stellar offerings from their storied history ... what a day ... and what a way to close out the fisrt half of the show.

Part three opened up with Ace Holleran providing me a respit at the mic and another well balanced, inspirational performance by the St. Rita's Brassmen, led by the always energetic BHOFer Ruben Ariola and the always articulate Jimmy Maldonado ... other highlights included numerous fine solos by many, capped off by possibly the best mid-range player ever - Buzzy Bergdoll of St. Kevin's who aptly displayed why he won the VFW National title four times! ... the Capital Brass's brass ensemble then presented Cartoon Capers - Episode 2, which transformed the entire crowd into their adolescent years of watching Looney Tunes on a Saturday morning ... there was also a very nice moment that happened during this segement, pointed out to me by BHOFer Tommy Martin ... it won't show up in anyone's review nor have a score associated with it ... it was a photo being taken of the four soloists featured on the Brass By Night Album from 1961: Frank Buscemi (Selden), Steve Buglino (Floyd Bennet), Frank Dorrite (Queensmen) and Joe DeFiglia (Loretto) ... hopefully it will somehow make it's way onto the Internet or into DCW.

After a brief intermission, the Selden Cadets offered up their 2009 show in what I can only categorize as brilliant ... with John Bailey on drum set and Frank Buscemi and Frank Diliberto handling the majority of the solo work, Selden provided all the polish and power we've come to expect from them ... The Lord's Prayer is simply a magnificent blend of sound, making one truly reflect as you listen ... the Capital Brass mixed ensemble offered up their 2009 fun-filled version of Cartoon Symphony to the delight of everyone ... Capital Brass has appeared at every BHOF I&E show to date and their enthusiasm and talent have never ceased to amaze me ... the segment finished off with I&E soprano solos by Rich Wardlow (Brooklyn United), Kenton Clarke (Sky) and Jonny Grass (Sky) setting us up in fine fashion for the final segment.

And what a final segment it was! ... St. Kevin's performance was pure vintage ... led by BHOFers Buzzy Bergdoll and Eddie Hayward, few corps can elicit emotion the way they do ... their playing last night was exactly the way they sounded as they marched to victory at The Dream 59-60-61 and during their magnificent run in 1964 at Nationals, where the placed in the top 5 of the VFW, WO and CYO and once again captured The Dream title ... hearing their rendition of Exodus, Pagliacci and Caravan brought back fond memories ... Bergdoll charts rival those of the greatest arrangers of that or any era ... they are programmed for the emotion factor ... they are a significant part of the drum corps fabric woven in the 50's and 60's ... well done St. Kevin's ... after the crowd caught their breath, Ruben Ariola once again thoroughly entertained the crowd by taking "requests" ... LOL ... and the grand finale where the BHOFers took over the stage (along with anyone who wanted to play) with their trademark Basin Street Bules was nothing short of phenominal ...

All in all I'd say it was a pretty good day ... was it an I&E show disguised as an Alumni show or, an Alumni show masquerading as an I&E show? ... WHO CARES! ... whatever it was ... IT WORKED! ... the easy-going, relaxed atmosphere brought out the best in the performers and the crowd ... a simply delightful day of drum corps!

Andy "with A View From The Pulpit" Lisko

Edited by ajlisko

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you , Anthony and crew...

for a Great show; and, among other things, for arranging a DCA/MCA-style of adjudication for the Mini-Corps portion.

The input we received from the panel was great! AND much appreciated.

As always, it was a pleasure to work with you Andy. Glad I could contribute a little to your comedy routine. :whistle: Thanks for the great intros!

After 3 years of building it... safe to say that you've successfully revived an important segment of the activity, in the I&E Winter Cicuit. Thanks for making so many people happy yesterday.

Edited by brassomaniac

YEAH DIANE!!! I knew you could get up there and do it!! Congrats :whistle:

Thanks for the kind words about our 3 entries, Andy.

We all had a Blast! The most fun we've had at any of the BHOF events to date (we've done 5! - just sayin' :thumbup: ) . Looking forward to the next one! :whistle:

a bevy of I&E talent led up to the competition performances of two MCA Mini-Corps, the Golden Eagles and Capital Brass ... two different styles ... tons of talent ... and a prelude to what should be a wonderful mini-corps season ... GE's Spanish offerings were ... well ... packed with GE! ... BHOFer Frank Ponzo and his entire cast were at the top of their game ... CB's four-part show offering was highligted by their stirring rendition of Bohemien Rhapsody ...

... the Capital Brass's brass ensemlbe then presented Cartoon Capers - Episode 2, which transformed the entire crowd into their adolescent years of watching Looney Tunes on a Saturday morning ...

... the Capital Brass mixed ensemlbe offered up their 2009 fun-filled version of Cartoon Symphony to the delight of everyone ... Capital Brass has appeared at every BHOF I&E show to date and their enthusiasm and talent have never ceased to amaze me ...

All in all I'd say it was a pretty good day ... was it an I&E show disguised as an Alumni show or, an Alumni show masquerading as an I&E show? ... WHO CARES! ... whatever it was ... IT WORKED! ... the easy-going, relaxed atmosphere brought out the best in the performers and the crowd ... a simply delightful day of drum corps!

Andy "with A View From The Pulpit" Lisko

Edited by brassomaniac

The SELDEN CADETS want to thank Anthony Convertito, Andy Lisko and the BHOF for a day that we will remember for a long time.

Everyone who performed in this show reminded me of what hooked me into this activity from the first time I went down to watch a drum corps called the SELDEN CADETS practice more than 45 years ago.

All those who performed, shared a part of themselves with all of us and I, for one, am thrilled to have been able to be there and get the chance to see some of the all time greats in the drum corps activity.

Congratulations to the GOLDEN EAGLES you guys are great :thumbup: ....and to CAPITAL BRASS, nice show all :whistle:

PARK CITY, HOLY NAME, BRASSMEN nice sound guys!!!

and what can I say about ST. KEVINS...they blew me away :thumbup: it was definitely a holy s@#t! moment......Whatta sound!!!...I thought I was back in "the day".....Can't wait to see them again :thumbup:

Hope to see some of you at the DRUM CORPS BLOCK PARTY on May 23rd! :thumbup: