flag poles and flags

aina

Sean:

Have you called your local high school? Can they sell you a pole or two? Do they have some flags kicking around that you could have?

Just a thought!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey! A litte OT, but who cares. All my personal flags have been lost and I was wondering if someone could tell me where I could order some nw stuff. I tried FJM, but I have to roder at least 6 of one flag. So one criteria has to be no minimum. A big plus would be some old corps' flag. I've tried Cadets & Crossmen (since they seem to be the only ones selling used corps flags) but again, I need to buy the entire set - again, the no minimum thing. I also need poles - they're gone too. So any corps, website, stores, ANYTHING so I can get back to spinning! Thanks so much!

Sean, I bet if you checked our your local hardware store you can purchase a 1inch O. D. (Outside Diameter) aluminum pole......you probably would have to go to the plumbing section. When I marched our poles came from the corps director's hardware store. Also a friend who marched in 2-7's flag line told me that their poles were also purchased from a hardware store. It shouldn't be more than $10.00 and they can cut it to the length you want. As far as a flag, do you know someone that sews? You can make your own flag a lot cheaper than purchasing a new one from a catalog or from a drum corps. However, sometimes if you are at a show where Madison Scouts or Cavies are at , they will sometimes have a box with odd flags in it for sale....cheap!

If you can't get any help with these ideas, let me know......I work with a huge color guard and I'm sure I can find a pole and a flag that we aren't using. B)

Do people prefer fiberglass or aluminum poles more?

Fiberglass poles are the worst. Since we used gloves I didn't worry about splinters. The problem was the bounce. Our sharp pop and snap way of handling the flag caused it to bounce with almost every move. I remember one practice I got a headache from all of the darn vibrating.

My colorguard from high school used aluminum poles bought from the local hardward store and cut to size. I have never used a pole taller than 6' whether it was with the cavies, my high school guard, or winterguard.

Malibu, do you remember the Bridgeman's colorguard flag poles. I thought that idea was brilliant!!! A pool cleaning pole with adjustable height. They used tape to identify 6ft and 31/2ft heights I think. With their long 2x10ft flags the effect was mesmerizing.

Do people prefer fiberglass or aluminum poles more?

Fiberglass poles are the worst. Since we used gloves I didn't worry about splinters. The problem was the bounce. Our sharp pop and snap way of handling the flag caused it to bounce with almost every move. I remember one practice I got a headache from all of the darn vibrating.

My colorguard from high school used aluminum poles bought from the local hardward store and cut to size. I have never used a pole taller than 6' whether it was with the cavies, my high school guard, or winterguard.

Malibu, do you remember the Bridgeman's colorguard flag poles. I thought that idea was brilliant!!! A pool cleaning pole with adjustable height. They used tape to identify 6ft and 31/2ft heights I think. With their long 2x10ft flags the effect was mesmerizing.

yes, I remember those poles....in fact we (Crossmen) used them in 1980. Not very practical for doing tosses....if you dropped it , the mechanism inside would break and you couldn't get it to lock. That happened to a few of the members.......they would be doing a "butterfly" move at the end of the show and the pole would extend all the way out! b**bs

We marked the pole so we would know where to extend at different points in the show.

They were like the "pool cleaning poles" but they were sold specifically for color guard. One of my guards in 1990 had some of those pool poles donated to them so we could use it for one of the songs. The pool poles are like a 7/8 size........the ones we used in Crossmen were like 1 3/4 inch. Needless to say, we only used it for that one season....too expensive (around $30.00 each) and not very useful........however, I managed to keep three along with the '78 or '79 Bridgemen Rainbow flag. :huh:

yes, I remember those poles....in fact we (Crossmen) used them in 1980. Not very practical for doing tosses....if you dropped it , the mechanism inside would break and you couldn't get it to lock. That happened to a few of the members.......they would be doing a "butterfly" move at the end of the show and the pole would extend all the way out!

I didn't know they were so much trouble. My guard instructor in high school wanted to try them in a portion of our 1980 show, but went for double flags, and poles with streamers instead. Now I am glad she did!!

. Needless to say, we only used it for that one season....too expensive (around $30.00 each) and not very useful........however, I managed to keep three along with the '78 or '79 Bridgemen Rainbow flag

Okay, I am a brown man that is totally pea green right now. I loved those flags. However I have a original 75-76 madison flags, and 77 Anaheim Kingsman flag. I treat them like they are museum pieces.

Edited by deftguy

We had fiberglass the first year I started instructing, and they were gone after that. Too many fiber splinters!!!!

They are nasty!!

Do any of you remember collapsable poles??

We had them when I was in high school (mid 80's)

The pole was 11/2" diam. at the bottom and there was a piece in the middle that let the smaller 1" diam. top slide down inside the bottom. It was 6' when extended the whole way out.

We only used them 1 year, they kept collapsing during shows...

Do any of you remember collapsable poles??

We had them when I was in high school (mid 80's)

The pole was 11/2" diam. at the bottom and there was a piece in the middle that let the smaller 1" diam. top slide down inside the bottom. It was 6' when extended the whole way out.

We only used them 1 year, they kept collapsing during shows...

Yep......this is the pole we were talking about above, except ours (Crossmen) would extend to 8 feet.

Okay, I am a brown man that is totally pea green right now. I loved those flags. However I have a original 75-76 madison flags, and 77 Anaheim Kingsman flag. I treat them like they are museum pieces.

Did I tell you I managed to get a Bridgemen hat too??? Shhh....don't tell Benny! :P

I also got a 1981 Madison Scouts rifle......plus many flags from Cavaliers, Cadets and Crossmen. :huh:

Geez, Malibu...you ought to open a museum...You too, Deftguy!

b**bs

Whaddya got from 27?

Edited by SBrancheau

Geez, Malibu...you ought to open a museum...You too, Deftguy!

b**bs

Whaddya got from 27?

From 2-7....just some good friends and a few T-shirts. Now LancerFi has a collection of 2-7 memorabilia....... :huh: