Open and A Class Finals

itsOURtime

We seem to be hearing a lot about both Scholastic and Independent World, but what are everyone's thoughts on the other two classes?

IMO-Marain Catholic rightfully deserved the Gold Medal in SO. They were fantastic, so emotional and so powerful. I loved it from beginning to end. Congrats!

We seem to be hearing a lot about both Scholastic and Independent World, but what are everyone's thoughts on the other two classes?

IMO-Marain Catholic rightfully deserved the Gold Medal in SO. They were fantastic, so emotional and so powerful. I loved it from beginning to end. Congrats!

What did ya'll think about Friendswood? They basically popped out of nowhere this year and suprised everyoe!

I can comment on IO and SA

Let me first disclaim by saying that I always put my own ‘show title’ down for each guard to make it memorable for me (I wish that we could have a book, or announcement with each show description!) I am drawn to the more ‘edgy’ and exciting or fun shows, and I tend to like the classical shows less, but hey, to each their own. Here are a few that really ‘got me’.

Of course, my first and foremost goal was to support the great Canadian talent at WGI. It saddens me to see so few guards left competing. They each get a special mention from me!

Unfortunately we got lost on the way to the James Trent Arena, and did not make it in time to see Les Eclipses, although I saw Paul Gelinas in the stands with their guard, so if he is on staff, you know it’s gonna be good!! (He taught me back in 1995, and he was Amazing!!)

Legacy – (Radiohead – Stand Up/Sit Down) obviously great minds think alike, as Braddock used the same music! I thought Legacy had great energy, and a great run! Love the floor and silks, simple yet effective. Crowd response was really positive, and those around us really enjoyed the show too! They are NOT on the Fan Network Videos thought? What up with that???

Pacificaires – (Typewriter) Great! Reminded me a little of Victoriaville Phoenix – there were some gutsy moves on and off of those tables!! I must admit that I got dizzy trying to read the words on the flags! LOL!!

Sonnor – Beautiful music, great performers, what’s not to like!? (Ok, I did say Classical isn’t my bag, BUT, when it’s Sonnor, then it’s different somehow!) Each performer was able to showcase their talents, and this didn’t feel like a small guard while I was watching the show.

Ventures – what a breath of fresh air. Loved the song choice, and the pauses worked into the soundtrack – very cool effect. The program was performed beautifully, I am so proud of these ladies and gentlemen at IW prelims. I admit that I had a little tear in my eye for y’all!

IO

Sensation – from the Netherlands - such a cool looking show – we were puzzled that all the members seemed to have dark hair and skin tones….always thought Netherlanders were fair….(see Beatrix below)

Eklipse!!! Fences and anarchy, what a combo! I loved it! One of the girls reminded me of OZ from We Will Rock You. Thank you for entertaining me!!

Lealta - we dubbed this one the ‘Dexter’ Show! LOVED it!! Enjoyed the opening statement with the ‘shadows’ on the floor

First Flight - iPod – What a beautiful interpretation of the Adele soundtrack. Liked the iPod earphones, and it does remind us how much we can miss when we tune out the rest of the world. Very chilled out and beautiful!

Beatrix - Chess - (so THIS is where all the blondes are!) Really enjoyed this concept and performers were great!

Patriots – WOWZERS! Great show, great performers – glad to see them move up in finals!

Spectrum – Turning the world Magenta – again, great concept, appreciated the changes as the members all ‘went to the other side’. I’ll admit that I was mesmerized by the twins (graduated from Shen SW) – I don’t remember ever seeing another set of twins in guard? Or at least not ones that are that connected/identical. In saying that, I don’t mean to take anything away from the guard as a whole. The program was great! Without getting into a political or judging debate, I really thought they should have placed higher in prelims, and most certainly in finals. Great job guys!

Wind - Streetlight People - nice feel good show – performers were a joy to watch – was getting warm fuzzies from them all throughout the show.

*INTERPLAY* ok – honestly, my favorite of the weekend!! I cried my eyes out both at prelims and finals! Happy tears though!! Did anyone else notice they changed their soundtrack? ‘This prelims crowd: - we hope you are wowed – and then in finals, it was ‘This Dayton crowd…” So cute!! – What a GREAT show!! Great job kids!! And no, I didn’t notice the broken flag – probably because of the tears! LOL

Ars Nova – REALLY, REALLY loved this show. Exciting, and well performed and executed.

South Shore Drill Team (Seniors, YES WE CAN!!! & Cadets - Pledge of Allegiance) I am SO happy to see SSDT back in action! From the first year I marched back in the stone ages (1989) I remember SSDT – what an amazing group of people, on and off the floor. I can speak for everyone around me when I say that there wasn’t a dry eye in the house! Your effort, heart and soul were out there on display! Mad tricks, as always, and some new skills developing too! I hope to see y’all again next year!!

Alchemy Independent (Goodbye my Lovah!!) This was one of the few examples of performers giving their all! Something I might add was sadly lacking throughout the weekend! Emotion flowed through each and every movement, right out of their fingertips, and touched me up in the stands! Congratulations on a job well done!!!

North by Northwest (Suspense – Swings aka: www.stfu.com!!! ) Wow, and thank you for that!!!

Justaposition (GET IT) – I really did enjoy this show… HOWEVER there was a group of young loyal fans at prelims that shouted ‘Get it (insert member’s name here)” so loudly throughout the entire show that is was totally distracting, and made me just wish the show would end!! TOTAL injustice to Juxta, who had a great run, but many around us also found it difficult to concentrate with all of this going on.

Note to fevered guard supporters – read ‘between the lines’ on this one, and make sure your LOUD vocal support is not BETWEEN the ‘you make take the floor’ and the final note of music! I don’t know if you can hear this on the tape – but it was UBER distracting and annoying!

SA

Mansfield (Bones) Loved the dedication to character! Good job!!

Lyman!! – again, loved the character, and sass given by the performers!!

North Syracuse Central HS – Beautiful! Someone else commented about the ‘staying’ power of Annie Lenox’s ‘Why’ and I agree…as relevant today as it was years ago. Thanks for another beautiful interpretation!

Byrnes (Welcome to _______ with Suitcases) another interpretation of the Adele track Hometown Glory – done in a different, and poignant way!

DeSoto (amazing women – tear!!) Very elegant and proud performers did justice to a beautiful and inspiring soundtrack. Yes, y’all got a tear from me!

I watched the entire day of IA prelims on Thursday and found the class to be very entertaining and was impressed with the depth of talent. Come finals I was a bit surprised that almost every show in the top 15 was a slow ballad. I found finals to be very boring. I wish that more credit was given to uptempo and unique shows in this class. This in no way takes away from the talent in the guards in finals, it is more a comment on song choice.

For me the show of the weekend was both IO prelims and finals. This class is so strong from top to bottom. In my opinion they could have taken about 30 guards in finals.

I wasn't to impressed with IO this year. There were a couple of guard that stood out to me. North by northwest, USF, Capella, and a couple of others. SO dominated this year IMO. Marion Catholic deserved there gold medal. I thought that Gates Chili and South Brunswick should have been a little higher. I thought that West Johnston was gonna medal. There all weapon features were amazing. SA and IA didn't impress at all. There were to many shows to the song Hometown Glory. The only one that I really liked was Lyman high school which was 3rd place in SA. They were Fierce.

I mentioned in another discussion that I thought that Marian Catholic's frayed/fringed, deconstructed, texturized flags were HANDS DOWN the best "custom" flag in competition. They perfectly translated the feeling of angel wings without hitting us over the head and screaming "Hey, everybody..!!! Look at this flag: ANGEL WINGS...!!! Get it...????"

It was a perfect choice for their program about Heavenly ascension.

And the design of the entire program was terrific all the way around, with the addition of "St. Peter's Golden Gates" at the end of the show making for a dramatic - yet, surprisingly subtle - end to the program.

Marian Catholic really shined, so to speak, among an closely-matched group of medalists...!!!

Here are the Scholastic A Finalists:

Mansfield HS, TX – Modern Dance Macabre – Wearing black uniforms with white swirls and the floor resembling a rotted tree this ensemble wowed those in attendance. The opening rifle statement was fantastic. This ensemble moves extremely well. The purple silk feature towards the end of the program was executed wonderfully. One question though was with the program they were performing to utilize yellow silks? Also, the ensemble started out performing and ended in the character very well, however during the middle of the show, it seemed to lose steam. The program was brought to an ending as the creepy crawly performers slid into slits in the tarp to go back underground. GREAT JOB!!!!

Americas HS, TX – Joy – Performing on a pastel colored tarp in elegant white uniforms this ensemble gracefully took the floor. This moving performance started with a beautiful blue silk statement. The salmon / gold silk statement performed with the rifles was executed nicely. The rifle duet kicked in and transitioned into a yellow silk feature again, was executed nicely. The show transitioned from the yellow silk statement into the beautiful movement sequence brought this elegant program to a close. This group moves wonderfully. Well Done!!!

Friendswood HS, TX – Celestial Voices – The opening of the program was elegantly performed as the soloist strolled gently towards the back with the harp playing gently. The guard underneath a white sheath fabric made their way out onto the blue tarp covered in clouds. The rifle solo was transitioned into a duet wonderfully performed. The pink flag ensemble into the ripple was executed nicely. As the program came to a close, the harpist resumed as the soloist made her way back to the white sheath fabric and the giant cloud swallowed her. Great Job!!!

DeSoto HS, TX – Amazing Women – This small ensemble took the floor on a simple black tarp, in elegant uniforms. This group moves extremely well. Performing a program about amazing women, each performer exhibited elegant moves into the white silk ensemble. The only concern, was with this beautiful program was hearing “out” being yelled. The ending white silk feature had a hint of silver, blue and seafoam green as the program ended with a well performed movement statement. Nicely done!

Passaic HS, NJ – Picnic Antics – Taking the floor with a giant picnic in the back, and looking like ants on the prowl, this ensemble dazzled the audience. The opening sabre statement, which led into an ensemble of watermelon silks being introduced was executed nicely. The silk exchange with the rifle toss was performed nicely. The ending of the show brought silks containing different foods on them such as Reese Cups, sandwiches, and such and the ensemble executed the ending perfectly. Well Done!!

Croatan HS, NC – I Believe - This ensemble took the floor in simple black uniforms on a floor that spanned a world layout. The opening movement statement was wonderful which transitioned into the opening blue silk solo. This led into a perfectly executed ensemble moment using silks. The blue silk ripple was complimented by the rifle ripple and ensemble. Towards the end of the program white silks were featured with different country flag motifs on them. The program concluded with a beautiful movement statement. Well Done!!

Plymouth Canton HS, MI – Taking the floor on a sealike tarp, with a huge sail in the back right, and hint of gold on the floor this ensemble executed their program. The rifle feature with the addition of silk quintet was performed nicely. Overall this ensemble moves well and executed the program extremely well. Great comeback in finals. Nicely Done!!

Francis Howell North HS, MO – As She Waits – Taking the floor on a pentagon shaped brick tarp, with a window in the center and a performer waiting, this ensemble gave quite a performance. In all honesty, I was so wrapped up in watching the emotional performance take place there was no time for notes. The opening movement statement is awesome. The various silks they utilized had various colors of “window” on them. This was definitely one of the most emotional shows of the weekend. Great Job!!!

Homestead HS, CA – Vector Blue – Blue velvet boxes outlined the blue squares on the tarp. The full body blue uniforms fit perfectly, and the performers faces were silver. This program moved from the get go. The opening movement statement was fantastic which led into a blue silk and sabre statement. As the music progress the end of the program produced gold silks which went wonderfully against the blue. WOW can this ensemble move. Well Done!!

Greenfield Central – The Dash Between – In five years of winterguard competition this ensemble made a huge impact making finals. Taking the dash covered floor, in elegant uniforms, this ensemble gave perhaps their most emotional performance of the season. I think the shock and awe of the whole weekend hit this unit as they entered the arena. They did experience performance issues in the first ninety seconds of the program again, recovery was outstanding, then it was business as usual. Nailing the flag exchange from the back to the front, the sabre soloist into duet, great job. Performing to music from Claire de Lune and a poem narrating how one would want to be remembered for their “dash.” This was another one of those three emotional performances from finals groups. Great Job young ladies!!!

Lyman HS, FL – Citizen of the Planet – Performing to a soundtrack that was moving from beginning to end, taking the floor on a compass like directional tarp, and donning elegant uniforms, this ensemble came to play. The opening rifle feature was outstanding. The great transition into the green / gold flag statement was executed nicely. This ensemble also utilized their hair very well. The sabre and purple silk feature was magical. The ending orange silk transitioned into a musical choreographed movement ending. GREAT JOB!!

Kokomo HS, IN - Sposason Disprezzata – This ensemble gave it all and left it all on the floor. Taking the floor on a multi rust / copper color floor in simple but yet matching uniforms, this ensemble took the floor. From the performer executing an opening headstand in the back right, to the outstanding male performer, this group couldn’t have put on a better program if they tried. From the ensemble moments to the individual moments there is no doubt left of the talent ability of this group. From the seafoam green silk ensemble to the ending white silk ensemble, to the ending kiss and movement statement, this unit executed their program. Great Job!!

Byrnes HS, SC – Hometown – This ensemble showed of their touring season represented by signage of cities they have performed in, of course ending with Dayton, OH. The unit had suitcases representing their travels. Unfortunately, I was involved the captivation of the performance I neglected to take notes. I do recall this unit couldn’t do much wrong, and they move very well. Nicely Done!!

Spanish River HS, FL – Sunday in the Park – Taking a different spin on Claire de Lune, this ensemble took us on a stroll through the park on a Sunday afternoon. The tarp resembled a park. Wearing maroon uniforms and starting with miniature colored umbrellas this ensemble performed wonderfully. The opening yellow silk statement led into individual sabre moments that were perfectly executed. The ending sunset style silks led the audience into the sunset and the close of the program as we experienced a Sunday in the Park. Great Job!!

North Syracuse Central HS, NY – Why ? – Taking the floor, which was covered by a giant question mark, and performing to the music of Annie Lennox, this ensemble made an emotional connection. Honestly I was mesmerized by this performance and couldn’t look away long enough to write anything down. This ensemble moved gracefully and executed what they were asked to perform. The most amazing moment though, was the ensemble movement sequence around the question mark, ending on the period at the end. WOW WOW WOW….This was in my opinion the most emotionally charged program of, if not the A class, the entire weekend. GREAT JOB!!! This ensemble definitely deserved the Gold Medal.

FIU should have won the silver Medal in A class.....they were beautiful

All thanks to a beautiful woman named Lillie

Mansfield HS, TX – Modern Dance Macabre – Wearing black uniforms with white swirls and the floor resembling a rotted tree this ensemble wowed those in attendance. The opening rifle statement was fantastic. This ensemble moves extremely well. The purple silk feature towards the end of the program was executed wonderfully. One question though was with the program they were performing to utilize yellow silks? Also, the ensemble started out performing and ended in the character very well, however during the middle of the show, it seemed to lose steam. The program was brought to an ending as the creepy crawly performers slid into slits in the tarp to go back underground. GREAT JOB!!!!

Americas HS, TX – Joy – Performing on a pastel colored tarp in elegant white uniforms this ensemble gracefully took the floor. This moving performance started with a beautiful blue silk statement. The salmon / gold silk statement performed with the rifles was executed nicely. The rifle duet kicked in and transitioned into a yellow silk feature again, was executed nicely. The show transitioned from the yellow silk statement into the beautiful movement sequence brought this elegant program to a close. This group moves wonderfully. Well Done!!!

Friendswood HS, TX – Celestial Voices – The opening of the program was elegantly performed as the soloist strolled gently towards the back with the harp playing gently. The guard underneath a white sheath fabric made their way out onto the blue tarp covered in clouds. The rifle solo was transitioned into a duet wonderfully performed. The pink flag ensemble into the ripple was executed nicely. As the program came to a close, the harpist resumed as the soloist made her way back to the white sheath fabric and the giant cloud swallowed her. Great Job!!!

DeSoto HS, TX – Amazing Women – This small ensemble took the floor on a simple black tarp, in elegant uniforms. This group moves extremely well. Performing a program about amazing women, each performer exhibited elegant moves into the white silk ensemble. The only concern, was with this beautiful program was hearing “out” being yelled. The ending white silk feature had a hint of silver, blue and seafoam green as the program ended with a well performed movement statement. Nicely done!

Passaic HS, NJ – Picnic Antics – Taking the floor with a giant picnic in the back, and looking like ants on the prowl, this ensemble dazzled the audience. The opening sabre statement, which led into an ensemble of watermelon silks being introduced was executed nicely. The silk exchange with the rifle toss was performed nicely. The ending of the show brought silks containing different foods on them such as Reese Cups, sandwiches, and such and the ensemble executed the ending perfectly. Well Done!!

Croatan HS, NC – I Believe - This ensemble took the floor in simple black uniforms on a floor that spanned a world layout. The opening movement statement was wonderful which transitioned into the opening blue silk solo. This led into a perfectly executed ensemble moment using silks. The blue silk ripple was complimented by the rifle ripple and ensemble. Towards the end of the program white silks were featured with different country flag motifs on them. The program concluded with a beautiful movement statement. Well Done!!

Plymouth Canton HS, MI – Taking the floor on a sealike tarp, with a huge sail in the back right, and hint of gold on the floor this ensemble executed their program. The rifle feature with the addition of silk quintet was performed nicely. Overall this ensemble moves well and executed the program extremely well. Great comeback in finals. Nicely Done!!

Francis Howell North HS, MO – As She Waits – Taking the floor on a pentagon shaped brick tarp, with a window in the center and a performer waiting, this ensemble gave quite a performance. In all honesty, I was so wrapped up in watching the emotional performance take place there was no time for notes. The opening movement statement is awesome. The various silks they utilized had various colors of “window” on them. This was definitely one of the most emotional shows of the weekend. Great Job!!!

Homestead HS, CA – Vector Blue – Blue velvet boxes outlined the blue squares on the tarp. The full body blue uniforms fit perfectly, and the performers faces were silver. This program moved from the get go. The opening movement statement was fantastic which led into a blue silk and sabre statement. As the music progress the end of the program produced gold silks which went wonderfully against the blue. WOW can this ensemble move. Well Done!!

Greenfield Central – The Dash Between – In five years of winterguard competition this ensemble made a huge impact making finals. Taking the dash covered floor, in elegant uniforms, this ensemble gave perhaps their most emotional performance of the season. I think the shock and awe of the whole weekend hit this unit as they entered the arena. They did experience performance issues in the first ninety seconds of the program again, recovery was outstanding, then it was business as usual. Nailing the flag exchange from the back to the front, the sabre soloist into duet, great job. Performing to music from Claire de Lune and a poem narrating how one would want to be remembered for their “dash.” This was another one of those three emotional performances from finals groups. Great Job young ladies!!!

Lyman HS, FL – Citizen of the Planet – Performing to a soundtrack that was moving from beginning to end, taking the floor on a compass like directional tarp, and donning elegant uniforms, this ensemble came to play. The opening rifle feature was outstanding. The great transition into the green / gold flag statement was executed nicely. This ensemble also utilized their hair very well. The sabre and purple silk feature was magical. The ending orange silk transitioned into a musical choreographed movement ending. GREAT JOB!!

Kokomo HS, IN - Sposason Disprezzata – This ensemble gave it all and left it all on the floor. Taking the floor on a multi rust / copper color floor in simple but yet matching uniforms, this ensemble took the floor. From the performer executing an opening headstand in the back right, to the outstanding male performer, this group couldn’t have put on a better program if they tried. From the ensemble moments to the individual moments there is no doubt left of the talent ability of this group. From the seafoam green silk ensemble to the ending white silk ensemble, to the ending kiss and movement statement, this unit executed their program. Great Job!!

Byrnes HS, SC – Hometown – This ensemble showed of their touring season represented by signage of cities they have performed in, of course ending with Dayton, OH. The unit had suitcases representing their travels. Unfortunately, I was involved the captivation of the performance I neglected to take notes. I do recall this unit couldn’t do much wrong, and they move very well. Nicely Done!!

Spanish River HS, FL – Sunday in the Park – Taking a different spin on Claire de Lune, this ensemble took us on a stroll through the park on a Sunday afternoon. The tarp resembled a park. Wearing maroon uniforms and starting with miniature colored umbrellas this ensemble performed wonderfully. The opening yellow silk statement led into individual sabre moments that were perfectly executed. The ending sunset style silks led the audience into the sunset and the close of the program as we experienced a Sunday in the Park. Great Job!!

North Syracuse Central HS, NY – Why ? – Taking the floor, which was covered by a giant question mark, and performing to the music of Annie Lennox, this ensemble made an emotional connection. Honestly I was mesmerized by this performance and couldn’t look away long enough to write anything down. This ensemble moved gracefully and executed what they were asked to perform. The most amazing moment though, was the ensemble movement sequence around the question mark, ending on the period at the end. WOW WOW WOW….This was in my opinion the most emotionally charged program of, if not the A class, the entire weekend. GREAT JOB!!! This ensemble definitely deserved the Gold Medal.