Just wondering..

All these amazing Scolastic World guards are so talented.I'm astounded by what they do, but it for sure has taken alot of work.How did these guards get to where they are now?I'm curious to see how much they practice, how many JV guards they have, and how competitive it is to make their guard. Do they even march during the fall or do they work on winter guard year-round?

Thanks!

I only know about the ones in South Florida (Flanagan and Stoneman Douglas). Both have feeder guards-- or did at one time. Stoneman Douglas had a middle school guard and Flanagan had a "AAA" guard (regional A, or lower level - A guard).

I also know that some of their kids march DCI corps over the summer, as well as participating in their high school marching bands. I believe they do not start their winterguard show until after marching band season, as they are both very competitive groups during marching band; however, I do not know that for sure.

BTW-- Flanagan also has a "No cuts" policy in their school. Anyone who auditions for guard gets a spot in the guard for marching band and also for one of the winter guards if they audition for that.

At Miamisburg, the World guard students do not have to be in the Marching Band. Only the younger kids do. They have several feeder guards (starting at the middle school level). They rehearse ALL the time. I looked at their schedule once online; it's crazy! I don't know how they keep kids in the program. They have rehearsals 6 days a week, sometimes 7, from November through April. No Saturdays off, ever, and only a few Sundays off. It's kind of strange, because there are guards that finish above them every year that don't rehearse anywhere near as much.

Hello. I do not usually post on these things, but someone who does not really know decided to write comments about Miamisburg. I am not sure where they got their info, but here is the real deal on Burg. All the students in the Winter Guard are in the Marching Band some may play their instrument and the rest are in the Fall Guard. There are two Elementary Guards and one Junior High Guard, up until 2008 there was also an A Guard. The World Guard rehearses 3, 4 or 5 days a week November - February with some camp weekends, they then start competing and there are contests in Ohio on Sunday so they are involved in those events. The last two weeks of the year they do rehearse or perform 7 days a week. Miamisburg is a small school and takes most everyone that auditions. I am not even going to touch the comment about how we keep kids, hopefully, our longevity speaks for itself. I am also sorry this person had to throw out the comment about who is beating who and why we need or not need to rehearse. Each program is different and works differently. Please feel free to speak the facts about Burg, if you truly know them, but leave the commentary for later. Just setting the record straight.

Hello. I do not usually post on these things, but someone who does not really know decided to write comments about Miamisburg. I am not sure where they got their info, but here is the real deal on Burg. All the students in the Winter Guard are in the Marching Band some may play their instrument and the rest are in the Fall Guard. There are two Elementary Guards and one Junior High Guard, up until 2008 there was also an A Guard. The World Guard rehearses 3, 4 or 5 days a week November - February with some camp weekends, they then start competing and there are contests in Ohio on Sunday so they are involved in those events. The last two weeks of the year they do rehearse or perform 7 days a week. Miamisburg is a small school and takes most everyone that auditions. I am not even going to touch the comment about how we keep kids, hopefully, our longevity speaks for itself. I am also sorry this person had to throw out the comment about who is beating who and why we need or not need to rehearse. Each program is different and works differently. Please feel free to speak the facts about Burg, if you truly know them, but leave the commentary for later. Just setting the record straight.

Um, you do realize that other than a few small details, you confirmed most of what the original poster said? And why do they need to leave the commentary for later? I think the point he/she was trying to make was that Miamisburg is a smaller school with not a lot of kids waiting in the wings to fill up that guard and the poster is surprised that kids do not burn out with such a rigorous schedule. And the fact of the matter is there are guard out there that rehears more and guards that rehearse less than Miamisburg. Some place higher, some place lower.

Um, you do realize that other than a few small details, you confirmed most of what the original poster said? And why do they need to leave the commentary for later? I think the point he/she was trying to make was that Miamisburg is a smaller school with not a lot of kids waiting in the wings to fill up that guard and the poster is surprised that kids do not burn out with such a rigorous schedule. And the fact of the matter is there are guard out there that rehears more and guards that rehearse less than Miamisburg. Some place higher, some place lower.

I just checked the historical scores on wgi.org and holy cr**, Miamisburg has made every scholastic finals cut (except maybe one) since like 1985. What's that? Like a quarter century??? That in itself is a testament to an incredibly strong, well organized, long lasting guard/band/school program. Whatever you're doing Miamisburg...it's working. Keep up the great work and thank you for bringing us enjoyable programs year after year after year.

I just checked the historical scores on wgi.org and holy cr**, Miamisburg has made every scholastic finals cut (except maybe one) since like 1985. What's that? Like a quarter century??? That in itself is a testament to an incredibly strong, well organized, long lasting guard/band/school program. Whatever you're doing Miamisburg...it's working. Keep up the great work and thank you for bringing us enjoyable programs year after year after year.

Very nicely said. There are very, very, very few (Center Grove I believe might be one) that can match Burg for their consistency and longevity in the SW, or any class. Sometimes they are near (or at) the top spot...some times they are a little farther back. But they are there, always, doing shows that they are proud of, that showcase their talents and love of the sport- and giving the spectators 5-7 minutes of their dedication, effort & passion. That's all. What more can anyone ask? :thumbup:

Miamisburg has made finals every year out, they had 1 year in which they did not field a guard and that was in 1990 and for personal reasons. They been in the top 5 over 20 times. The same can also be said about Center Grove and Choctaw. . .when you think of programs that have really stood the test of time and are the staples of this activity, you need to look no further than Burg, Grove and Choctaw. . .they are truly the best of the best