Best Bluecoats show ever

2. 2008- What??? Yep. 08. The section in the closer where the horns are moving around the stationary drumline rocked beyond belief. Would have loved to have played that.

You know, that was one of those moments that when on the field...it just felt kinda...meh. But listening to it now, its definitely a great part. Love it.

2003 in DFL. :smile:

HA.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This seems like a good thread to bring this up. So I'm listening through Bluecoats 2004 just now, and towards the end of the ballad, right about seven and half minutes into the track, I can clearly hear someone say "That's it Joe, relax Joe, that's it big dog". It's the kind of thing I don't think I ever would have caught without listening through headphones. I'm certain I recognize the voice as Mac's, so 'big dog' would have to be a percussionist. Anyone who marched that year able to explain it?

This seems like a good thread to bring this up. So I'm listening through Bluecoats 2004 just now, and towards the end of the ballad, right about seven and half minutes into the track, I can clearly hear someone say "That's it Joe, relax Joe, that's it big dog". It's the kind of thing I don't think I ever would have caught without listening through headphones. I'm certain I recognize the voice as Mac's, so 'big dog' would have to be a percussionist. Anyone who marched that year able to explain it?

Don't know the story behind it, but Mac used the term "big dog" all the time so it's definitely him.

On second thought, the drum major's name at the time was Joe...and there was a mishap with the backfield drum major for the solo cue (not Joe's fault). That might be what it was about.

Edited by jts5032

I’d have to go with 2006 as the total package, musically, that book just flows, good pacing and transitions

First year they caught my ear was 1991 – nice show and they did such a good job on their closer (whiter shade a pale – which would normally be cringe-inducing but wasn't in their hands) that I forgave the kite (not a fan of props).

But the closer that made them one to watch and really sold me on them was 1994’s C jam Blues, killer tune (think Bridgemen did it also) and they sold it nicely

Care to elaborate? That show was one of my favorites, it's what turned me on to the Bluecoats in the first place.

The show had potential. Probably the best collection of source music of any Bluecoats show ever.

Seduction played out fairly well (the ballad). The rest should have been soooo much better.

Listen to Stephen Melillo's "The Chosen" and then our opener. Ouch.

Our closer? Um... even worse. Waaaay worse.

And the park n' blow in Snared? The tympani fill kills all musical momentum, and the whole section should have been exaggerated waaaay more to maximize effect.

(possible Easter Egg... listen to the park n' blow, then listen to Ozzy's "Perry Mason," which was potentially going to be our mixed ensemble I&E piece in 01 until one of the mellos blew his MCAT and had to leave tour for a while. Shh....) :smile:

It was the show that could have been. Killer concept. Great source material. A lot of the drill was a big step up from 02.

But somehow, it was still my favorite summer for a lot of reasons. Good times. :worthy:

Don't know the story behind it, but Mac used the term "big dog" all the time so it's definitely him.

On second thought, the drum major's name at the time was Joe...and there was a mishap with the backfield drum major for the solo cue (not Joe's fault). That might be what it was about.

That, and as a result, started pushing the tempo.

Great reading ... BUMP!!!!

:smile:

87 wasn't clean, the marching was awful, the book was simple, the ballad was dull...

...and it kickedass to the point where people RAN into the stands just to see the snare line and hear Autumn Leaves.

DCI Canada was the coming out party and it is an all-time memory for me. The arc warm up at Ivor Wynne Stadium just off the lunch break had people asking each other "who are THEY?"

Then they went out and dropped a bomb on people's head. The sop soloist was the right guy at the right time. And the snare feature had 'em throwing babies. AWESOME.

These guys were like movie stars by the end of the season.

Edited by wishbonecav

87 wasn't clean, the marching was awful, the book was simple, the ballad was dull...

...and it kickedass to the point where people RAN into the stands just to see the snare line and hear Autumn Leaves.

DCI Canada was the coming out party and it is an all-time memory for me. The arc warm up at Ivor Wynne Stadium just off the lunch break had people asking each other "who are THEY?"

Then they went out and dropped a bomb on people's head. The sop soloist was the right guy at the right time. And the snare feature had 'em throwing babies. AWESOME.

These guys were like movie stars by the end of the season.

Seriously? You just made my day. Thanks! (By the way, I 100% agree with your first statement.)

Yeah, Jeff Wilt (sop soloist) was the man. I don't know how we were the lucky ones to land him.